How do your languages express the following?...

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: How do your languages express the following?...

Postby Neqitan » Sat 22 May 2010 12:10 am

dtp883 wrote:Just to make sure I understand, I'll use a shortened version of your example.

Pensé en darle un regalo antes de irme. (I thought about giving him a gift beforeI left.

Pensé en darle un regalo antes de que se fuera. (I thought about giving him a gift before he left.
Yup, they're perfect. I'd like to tell you other items that behave like this one, but I don't know them off the top of my head. :/
Neqitan

Postby linguoboy » Sat 22 May 2010 5:05 am

Talib wrote:You aren't a native of Pittsburgh, are you?

So what? I told you the construction is characteristic of Pittsburghese but it's not restricted to it.

But wherever you're from they must be deadly literalists.

I know, we're so simple-minded out here in the Midwest. When someone says "Seriously, Pittsburghese sounds infantile", I take it to mean they seriously think Pittsburghese sounds infantile. Must have something to do with conversational maxims or something...
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby sokuban » Fri 02 Jul 2010 4:16 am

I'll do this in... sokuban Japanese. I by no means am fluent in Japanese, and this is all the output that my brain will compute. I am also very liberal in my translations. (FAKE EDIT: Or maybe not as much as I hoped; this is really hard.)

In support of the previous offtopic discussion, I am doing this in a nonstandard dialect. (FAKE EDIT: I tried.)

1. (just) - I just came home from a party.
パーティーから帰ったばっかりや。
2. (got) - I got a present from a friend. I got bitten by a snake.
友達からプレゼント貰った。蛇に噛まれてもうた。
3. (verbs) - what happens to verbs when placed with pronouns and different tenses?*
I guess this question is about inflection?
tense: inflected verbs; I'm too lazy to go over it all
voice: passive often has a negative connotation
person: no effect on verb, though social norms especially in formal speech employ different verbs or different forms of verbs for the speaker and the speakee.
case: shown on the noun
4. (past perfect) - I had called him three times before he picked up (the phone).
電話取ってくれるまで三回も電話掛けておった
5. (present continuous) - I am eating a delicious chocolate cake.
美味なチョコレートケーキを喰っておる
6. (future perfect) - I will have seen the movie at the cinema.
映画は映画館で見ていただろう
Hard to translate, but normally you'd have the future time (eg: "tomorrow") and then the normal perfect past. "darou" or "deshou" which are "unpredictable" sentence endings may also be used.
7. (word order) - is your language SVO/SOV/OSV/OVS?*
SOV, though since there are case markers word order is flexible.
8. By the time I get to the beach, the sun will have set and I will have wasted my time driving there.
海に辿り着いた時には陽はもう暮れて、行ったのも無駄になる。
9. Although I am a vegetarian, the smell of meat makes my mouth water.
菜食者やのに肉の香りは[CANNOTCOMPUTE]
10. Woman, without her, man is nothing...Woman without her man, is nothing.
女無き男は無。女が男無き女も無。
Hmm, that was strange. How would you say "her man" in Japanese? I translated it into 女が男, but I don't think it works that way (think ga from like 汝が剣), and when I write it like that the ga looks like a subject marker particle instead.

Wow, this was horrible. x_x
sokuban

Postby Elijah » Tue 14 Feb 2012 11:58 pm

This seems to be 2 threads interweaving each other by now.

But honestly, my mother says "needs corrected', and I grew up with it. If people with Masters degrees say it, then it's not in any way infantile.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Previous

Return to Languages other than English