Translate Article 1...

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Translate Article 1...

Postby Sprochamaedli » Wed 08 Feb 2012 3:35 am

Hi! Like how Omniglot uses it to show examples of languages and scripts, I thought we could translate Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights into our conlangs to get an example of them. :)

Here it is for reference, and then below that I'm going to translate it into one of my most worked on languages.

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

Pón gosz-trep czoan sem tzuarti szvninkina menkûs mczenkina smlatos loczan sena brtzkena. An czoan sem ghlamenczenki smlatos vertzbaszan sen bretzan menkûs tzretkos goto-amina aczan tzrom viczó aghan btzronûs.

[puːn goʃ'trɛp 't͡ʃoan sɛm 'θʷarti ʃvn'ɪnkina 'mɛnkɨs 'mt͡ʃɛnkina 'smlatos 'lot͡ʃan sɛna 'brθkɛna. an 't͡ʃoan sɛm χlamɛn't͡ʃɛnki 'smlatos 'vɛrθbaʃan sɛn 'brɛðan 'mɛnkɨs 'ðrɛtkos 'goto 'amina 'at͡ʃan θrom 'vit͡ʃuː aχ'an 'bðronɨs]

all.PL humans Past.PL Passive bear free.PL also equal.PL through dignity.DAT and.DAT rights.DAT. They Past.PL Passive endow through reason.DAT and.DAT conscience.DAT also towards each-other should.PL act in spirit.DAT brotherhood.GEN

Look forward to see other people's :)
наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте...
------------
Native:English
Proficient: deutsch, schwiizerdütsch, русский язык
Understand a little: français, español, italiano, cymraeg, 한국, and more
Sprochamaedli

Re: Translate Article 1...

Postby Elijah » Wed 08 Feb 2012 11:42 pm

I'll translate it as soon as I get my conlang revamped and ready.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby Sprochamaedli » Thu 09 Feb 2012 1:07 am

Here is the alternate spelling I have for mine:

Pón goṡ-trep ċoan sem ðuarti ṡvninkina menkûs mċenkina smlatos loċan sena brðkena. An ċoan sem ġlamenċenki smlatos verðbaṡan sen breðan menkûs ðretkos goto-amina aċan ðrom viċó aġan bðronûs.
------------
Sprochamaedli

Postby Elijah » Thu 09 Feb 2012 5:46 pm

It looks like Latvian or another Balto-Slavic language.
Elijah

Postby Elijah » Mon 13 Feb 2012 7:15 pm

Okay, here goes -
Sprochamaedli wrote:"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

Text:
Angke-koreta posengka-ashte sepsoteks, to eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte holangkense sepsoteks. Toita pohomita m poensena-ushisi sepsouteks, to hol motot-weratao koretanse-esero otafiteks.
Morphemes:
Angke-kore-ta po-sengka-ashte sep-sot-e-ks, to eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte hol-angke-nse sep-sot-e-ks. Toi-ta po-homita m po-ensena-ushi-si sep-sout-e-ks, to hol motot-wera-ta-o kore-ta-nse-esero ota-fit-e-ks.
Gloss:
all-man-PL ABST-free-INF-along.with PASS-bear-PRES-4pm, and respect-along.with and law-along.with like.to-all-other PASS-bear-PRES-4pm. 3pp ABST-reason-INF and ABST-know-INF-self-DAT PASS-give-PRES-4ps, and like.to manner-brother-PL-GEN man-PL-other-for.the.benefit.of should-be-PRES-4pm.

I approximated "dignity" as "respect", "conscience" as "self-knowledge", and "rights" as "law".
Elijah

Postby Sprochamaedli » Mon 13 Feb 2012 7:50 pm

Angke-koreta posengka-ashte sepsoteks, to eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte holangkense sepsoteks. Toita pohomita m poensena-ushisi sepsouteks, to hol motot-weratao koretanse-esero otafiteks.

I like it :) Did you have any inspirational languages?
------------
Sprochamaedli

Postby Elijah » Mon 13 Feb 2012 10:01 pm

It's ergative: I got the inspiration from Basque, and also the Karelian languages and Ainu.

It actually should be:
Text:
Angke-koreta posengka-ashte sepsoteks, to eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte holangkense sepsoteks. Toita pohomita m poensena-ushisi sepsouteks, to toitak hol motot-weratao koretanse-esero otafiteks.
Morphemes:
Angke-kore-ta po-sengk-a-ashte sep-sot-e-ks, to eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte hol-angke-nse sep-sot-e-ks. Toi-ta po-homita m po-ensena-ushi-si sep-sout-e-ks, to toi-ta-k hol motot-wera-ta-o kore-ta-nse-esero ota-fit-e-ks.
Gloss:
all-man-PL ABST-free-INF-along.with PASS-bear-PRES-4pm, and respect-along.with and law-along.with like.to-all-other PASS-bear-PRES-4pm. 3pp ABST-reason-INF and ABST-know-INF-self-DAT PASS-give-PRES-4ps, and 3pp-AGT like.to manner-brother-PL-GEN man-PL-other-for.the.benefit.of should-be-PRES-4pm
Elijah

Postby Elijah » Wed 15 Feb 2012 7:59 pm

Edit, again:
Text:
Angke-koreta posengka-ashte sepsoteks, to toita eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte holangkense sepsoteks. Toita pohomita m poensena-ushisi sepsouteks, to toitak hol motot-weratao koretanse-esero otafiteks.
Morphemes:
Angke-kore-ta po-sengk-a-ashte sep-sot-e-ks, to toi-ta eroten-ashte m potemse-ashte hol-angke-nse sep-sot-e-ks. Toi-ta po-homit-a m po-ensen-a-ushi-si sep-sout-e-t, to toi-ta hol motot-wera-ta-o kore-ta-nse-esero ota-fit-e-t.
Gloss:
all-man-PL ABST-free-INF-along.with PASS-bear-PRES-4pm, and 3pp respect-along.with and law-along.with like.to-all-other PASS-bear-PRES-4pm. 3pp ABST-reason-INF and ABST-know-INF-self-DAT PASS-give-PRES-3pm, and 3pp like.to manner-brother-PL-GEN man-PL-other-for.the.benefit.of should-be-PRES-3pm.

It's not very refined yet, but I'm trying to give a good interpretation.
Elijah

Postby Tikolm » Sun 10 Jun 2012 5:05 pm

Here we are:

Uq teksikozel tekō os lur xukedolot tek os qomel caz. Go likme os cazpsice wubolot os dluqolost zios iso izok-micuks xkizoksol caz.

[all fur-neg-red-pl free and same bear-passive-3plpres fur and allow-gerund-pl with. they sort-gerund and with-know-gerund have-3plpres and shall-3plpast do-inf one other-toward brother-quality with.]

I've used "fur" for "dignity" because the Tikolmian culture is full of cats and I couldn't think of anything better. "Flight" would be offensive and inappropriate because many Tikolmian cats and all of the humans are flightless. In this context, since the word for humans explicitly specifies a lack of fur, it's clear what the real meaning is. I've also used "allowances" for "rights" and "sorting" for "reason", and I translated "conscience" literally.
Tikolm

Postby Since » Tue 12 Jun 2012 12:13 pm

In Tekian
Sáikain Ninguenen Suénion, 1ali busna
Inlo ninken ke besoganxin falin riiude, uasál zónian zu guenlin fínuo biatodé. Ninkenar ke lise zu liasin róino ar. Izume dupáun zejinar jenenla xandobanmo.

it's a sinoxenic language, there are some cognates with CJK languages

world-GEN Human-Right-GEN declaration 1-ORDINAL article
the-whole humanity-TOP be-born-when-GEN since freedom-do, and dignity-GEN and right-GEN limitation-INESSIVE equality-do. humanity-DAT TOP reason and conscience endowment exist. mutually brother-GEN spirit-DAT follow-GERUND act-must

['s̺ai̯kai̯n niŋ'gwenen 's̺wenjon e'kali 'bus̺na
'inlo 'niŋken ke bes̺o'gaŋxin 'falin ɾi'jude, wa's̺al 'θonjan θu 'gwenlin 'finwo bjato'de. nin'kenaɾ ke 'lis̺e θu 'ljas̺in 'ɾoi̯no aɾ. i'θume du'paun θe'dʑinaɾ dʑa'nenla xando'banmo]

I don't know how to exactly write interlinear gloss, but Tekian syntax is quite "predictable", for an Asian language at least.

I used the construction "to have the endowment of" instead of "to be endowed to" because, even if there is perfective aspect in Tekian, it's not common to use it in that way.
Since

Next

Return to Conlangery