Unnamed Conlang - in progress! :)

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Unnamed Conlang - in progress! :)

Postby UndeadFishtank » Mon 12 Dec 2011 7:00 pm

linguoboy wrote:
UndeadFishtank wrote:This is very interesting! See, I don't know very much about many languages, but in my previous (begun-but-never-finished) conlang, Cakuacakuán, I decided that I did not want to have a verb for "to be," and so a sentence such as "This is a bicycle," translated to "Ce abicikleta" (/tse əˌbitsiˈkɺetä/). That literally means "This a-bicycle." This was inspired by Russian. But then when I was constructing this language, which is based heavily off of Cakuacakuán, I realized that in the case that you are equating something to another noun or adjective, it loses the possibility of tense, so I had to think of a way to incorporate that and came up with the tense endings. I already had the adjective ending "-im" from Cakuacakuán.

A common way that languages deal with this is suppletion. For instance, future tense will be expressed with forms of a verb meaning "to become". There's also no reason why you couldn't do what languages which don't have tense as an inflection category do and simply use time adverbs. (E.g. "He at-one-time my father" = "He used to be my father".)

I think that's probably what would have happened had I continued with Cakuacakuán. The present tense wouldn't have a time adverb, but all other tenses would. As it is now, I will probably have some with this language as there are tenses I haven't thought about with my endings. As they are they are just basic indicators. I may have other auxiliary tense indicators to determine if something is continuing or not, but we'll see. :)
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Russian
Conlangs: Cakuacakuán (Tsaquatsaquan), and this unnamed language
UndeadFishtank

Postby linguoboy » Mon 12 Dec 2011 7:59 pm

UndeadFishtank wrote:I think that's probably what would have happened had I continued with Cakuacakuán. The present tense wouldn't have a time adverb, but all other tenses would. As it is now, I will probably have some with this language as there are tenses I haven't thought about with my endings. As they are they are just basic indicators. I may have other auxiliary tense indicators to determine if something is continuing or not, but we'll see. :)

That's not tense, it's aspect. In linguistic usage, "tense" refers only to temporal distinctions. English, for instance, has only two tenses (past and non-past) plus a whole range of aspectual and modal distinctions which are expressed paraphrastically.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby UndeadFishtank » Tue 13 Dec 2011 1:33 am

linguoboy wrote:
UndeadFishtank wrote:I think that's probably what would have happened had I continued with Cakuacakuán. The present tense wouldn't have a time adverb, but all other tenses would. As it is now, I will probably have some with this language as there are tenses I haven't thought about with my endings. As they are they are just basic indicators. I may have other auxiliary tense indicators to determine if something is continuing or not, but we'll see. :)

That's not tense, it's aspect. In linguistic usage, "tense" refers only to temporal distinctions. English, for instance, has only two tenses (past and non-past) plus a whole range of aspectual and modal distinctions which are expressed paraphrastically.

It's really interesting to learn all of these things! Often when learning a language in high school/college, we don't really learn the most accurate terms for the parts of our language or others' languages. I really do have a lot to learn, and I knew that Omniglot would be a good resource for that. I read a lot of Wikipedia articles in my freetime, but you're showing me a lot of things I was never aware of. Thank you for taking the time to show me all this! :)
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Russian
Conlangs: Cakuacakuán (Tsaquatsaquan), and this unnamed language
UndeadFishtank

Postby linguoboy » Thu 15 Dec 2011 6:11 pm

UndeadFishtank wrote:It's really interesting to learn all of these things! Often when learning a language in high school/college, we don't really learn the most accurate terms for the parts of our language or others' languages.

The way language and languages are taught in this country is really appalling. English teachers don't have to take a single course in linguistics (the actual scientific study of language) in order to obtain their credentials. So the profession is filled with people who can't even reliably identify basic parts of speech even according to the traditional analysis, let alone one incorporating everything we've learned about language in the last century or so. With foreign language teachers, it's just as bad, if not worse; some places they think all you need to know to to teach a language is to speak it.

Given that, it's a pleasure to find someone so interested in language and willing to learn about how it works. Kudos to you!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Previous

Return to Conlangery