Værí, a constructed language of mine

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Værí, a constructed language of mine

Postby Vilņa » Sun 10 Jul 2011 2:24 am

Here are some consonant combinations:

th - [θ]
dth - [ð]
ch - [k]
ŗŗ - [r] (alveolar trill)
sh - [ʃ]
tsh - [tʃ]
Native: English
Fluent: Lingua Latina
Learning: Re en Kam, Κοινὴ Διάλεκτος ( Ἑλληνικά)
Plan to learn: Ænglisc, Русский Язык, मानक हिन्दी, संस्कृतम्, Gaeilge
Conlangs: Værí, Savih Tāvūṇ, Agínwas Biþar, Bi'dimall
Vilņa

Location: Vilņa, Erator, Ránus, the Earth, the Solar System, Orion-Cygnus Arm, The Milky Way, the Local Group

Postby Vilņa » Tue 12 Jul 2011 11:32 pm

In my pronunciation of the Vaeri alphabet, I said that the letter ļ said [hl]. The correct IPA symbol is [ɬ], but I again was not very familiar with the IPA at the time I collaborated the pronunciation of the alphabet. But [hl] is close enough, so I will leave it at that.
Vilņa

Location: Vilņa, Erator, Ránus, the Earth, the Solar System, Orion-Cygnus Arm, The Milky Way, the Local Group

Postby linguoboy » Wed 13 Jul 2011 5:15 am

Vilņa wrote:In my pronunciation of the Vaeri alphabet, I said that the letter ļ said [hl]. The correct IPA symbol is [ɬ], but I again was not very familiar with the IPA at the time I collaborated the pronunciation of the alphabet. But [hl] is close enough, so I will leave it at that.

These actually sound pretty different. You would never confuse one for the other.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Vilņa » Wed 13 Jul 2011 9:52 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Vilņa wrote:In my pronunciation of the Vaeri alphabet, I said that the letter ļ said [hl]. The correct IPA symbol is [ɬ], but I again was not very familiar with the IPA at the time I collaborated the pronunciation of the alphabet. But [hl] is close enough, so I will leave it at that.

These actually sound pretty different. You would never confuse one for the other.

The recording of that sound that I listened to sounded exactly like [hl].
I guess the speaker was pronouncing it wrong. That means "[hl]" will remain the sound for ļ.
Vilņa

Postby linguoboy » Thu 14 Jul 2011 1:38 pm

Vilņa wrote:

I guess the speaker was pronouncing it wrong. That means "[hl]" will remain the sound for ļ.

Here's an instructional video from a fluent (and presumably native) Welsh speaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ofJeewcDI. He tackles [ɬ] at 2:54. It has conspicuously more audible friction than [hl], which has none at all. (Compare the difference between [x] [a fricative] and [h] [sometimes called a fricative, but really more of a approximant].)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Vilņa » Fri 15 Jul 2011 1:09 am

linguoboy wrote:
Vilņa wrote:

Here's an instructional video from a fluent (and presumably native) Welsh speaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ofJeewcDI. He tackles [ɬ] at 2:54. It has conspicuously more audible friction than [hl], which has none at all. (Compare the difference between [x] [a fricative] and [h] [sometimes called a fricative, but really more of a approximant].)

Oh, my goodness. Thank you! The way the speaker pronounces [ɬ] is the exact way that ļ in my mind is pronounced! Before I was used to the IPA, I thought that that sound was not present in other languages. That is why I tried to represent it with [hl]. But thank you so much, Linguoboy and whoever was in the video, for giving me the correct pronunciation of [ɬ], and therefore helping me to give the pronunciation of the Vaeri alphabet correctly, letting others pronounce the words correctly.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Thu 28 Jul 2011 8:23 pm

On Articles:

Articles are not rare in Vaeri, but they are not common, either. They are used when specification is needed (the world versus a world), and in titles (the God versus a god). In Old Vaeri the main article was "ny" [nɪ], which translates into English "the". In the modern tongue, the main article was "ne" [nɛ]. However, throughout time it came to be "n'-". When it begins a sentence, subject, or proper noun, it is not capitalized. The letter after it is; the letter which without the article would be capitalized.
Before a consonant, "n'-" is pronounced [nə]. E.G. n'Fílar - the cat - [nə'fiːlar]
Before a vowel/diphthong, "n'-" is pronounced [n], blending in with the following vowel/diphthong. E.G. n'Amâs - the love - ['nameɪs]

Contractions:

There are a few contractions in Vaeri. Here are some of them:
Contraction_______Pronunciation_______Full phrase_______Meaning

t'sía - [tə'siːʌ] - tú sía - there is
d'- - [də], [d] - da - very
es'- - [ɛs] - esa - that

More coming soon.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Sat 06 Aug 2011 2:24 am

These are additional letters that, while remaining absent from the alphabet because they are not common, are required to speak and write some words in Værí:

: This letter represents the sound [ɖʐ], which is found in some words in Middle Vaeri. This sound was carried on into Modern Vaeri in a few words, like "ḑanis" ("apple") and "aḑôta" ("to bring a gift" [usually for ceremonial purposes]).

ş: This letter represents the sound [ʂ]. The sound was common in Old Vaeri, less so in Middle Vaeri, and now is quite uncommon. Still, words like "şodus" (ash) and "harşíti" ("horrible") have retained this rare phoneme.

ţ: This letter is sometimes used, along with "h", to represent the sound [ð] instead of "dth", to avoid confusion with the sounds [dθ].
"Adthi" ['adθi] means "fool". "Aţhi" ['aði] means "monster".
Vilņa

Previous

Return to Conlangery