Værí, a constructed language of mine

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Værí, a constructed language of mine

Postby Vilņa » Tue 07 Jun 2011 2:33 am

Grammar:
~Syntax is SOV, unless I, we, you, she, him, they are taking the action(discussed below)
~If using the Latin alphabet, the first letter of each sentence is capitalized. Proper nouns and pronouns are capitalized, as are nouns/pronouns used as a subject.
~Adjectives always follow the subject. E.G., instead of writing "puļra atvis", you would write "atvis puļra". Puļra is an adjective meaning beautiful, atvis a noun meaning water.
~Articles (the, a) are sometimes used, but not often. They are only used to clarify nouns.
On Verbs:
Verbs usually come at the end of a sentence or phrase, but they may be changed to show who is taking the action, in which case they are put where the subject would be. E.G.:

mǽnre - to abide
emǽnras, emǽnra - I abide
emǽnres - we abide
imǽnreas, imǽnrea - you abide
mǽnrea - she abides
mǽnreas - he abides
amǽnre - they abide

Note the two choices for "I abide" and "you abide". They indicate the gender of the subject given. The verbs that end in "as" are masculine, and the verbs that end in "a" are feminine. If the you was a female, I would say, "Imǽnrea." If the I was a male, I would say, "Emǽnreas." (we and they are always gender neutral, unless all in the company are the same gender.)
~Gender in a noun remains neutral unless a specific gender is needed. E.G., If someone didn't need to know a cat's gender, I would say, "Etas fílar sía", or that is a cat. If the cat was female, I would say, "Etas fílarœ sía", or "that is a female cat". If the cat was a male, I would say, "Etas fílaræ sía", or "that is a male cat". Even in inanimate objects, the same suffixes may be used. "Etas sedesœ sía" means "that is an abode for a female". To get man or woman, then, you would add "-œ" or "-æ" to human. (hemus - human, hemusæ - man, hemusœ - woman)

To be continued.
Native: English
Fluent: Lingua Latina
Learning: Re en Kam, Κοινὴ Διάλεκτος ( Ἑλληνικά)
Plan to learn: Ænglisc, Русский Язык, मानक हिन्दी, संस्कृतम्, Gaeilge
Conlangs: Værí, Savih Tāvūṇ, Agínwas Biþar, Bi'dimall
Vilņa

Location: Vilņa, Erator, Ránus, the Earth, the Solar System, Orion-Cygnus Arm, The Milky Way, the Local Group

Postby linguoboy » Tue 07 Jun 2011 4:06 pm

Vilņa wrote:~Gender in a noun remains neutral unless a specific gender is needed. E.G., If someone didn't need to know a cat's gender, I would say, "Etas fílar sía", or that is a cat. If the cat was female, I would say, "Etas fílarœ sía", or "that is a female cat". If the cat was a male, I would say, "Etas fílaræ sía", or "that is a male cat". Even in inanimate objects, the same suffixes may be used. "Etas sedesœ sía" means "that is an abode for a female". To get man or woman, then, you would add "-œ" or "-æ" to human. (hemus - human, hemusæ - man, hemusœ - woman)

Looks like it remains "neutral" on the noun but that the verb still takes masculine suffixes. Is that correct? And what about sía--does it not have any gendered forms? Is this because it is some sort of presentational particle (cf. voilà, dyma, etc.) rather than a demonstrative?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Vilņa » Sun 12 Jun 2011 9:12 pm

In the first example (Etas fílar sía), the noun (fílar) is neutral. "Etas" is a word meaning "that". "Sía" is a generic verb meaning "to be" and it's variants (is, am, are). So yes, "sía" can have gendered forms, but only if the subject in the sentence is a specific gender. Sía is a curious word, one which when it takes on the female gender, it does not end in "-a", but in "-at". In the sentence "That is a cat", the verb remains neutral because the cat does not have an assigned gender. So, without my typos, the correct sentences with genders would read "Etas fílaræ sías", and "Etas fílarœ síat".
Vilņa

Location: Vilņa, Erator, Ránus, the Earth, the Solar System, Orion-Cygnus Arm, The Milky Way, the Local Group

Postby Vilņa » Mon 13 Jun 2011 10:44 pm

Here is the pronunciation of the Værí alphabet (with the IPA):

a - [æ] á - [ˈeɪ] â - [eɪ]
b - [b]
c - [k]
ç - [cj]
d - [d]
e - [ɛ] é - [ˈi] ê - [i]
f - [f]
h - [h]
i - [ɪ] í - [ˈiː] î - [iː]
l - [l]
ļ - [hl]
m - [m]
n - [n]

ņ - [ɲ]
o - [ɑ] ó - [ˈoː] ô - [oː]
p - [p]
r - [r]
ŗ - [ɾ]
s - [s]
t - [t]
u - [ʌ] ú - [ˈuː] û - [uː]
v - [v]
w - [w]
y - [j]
æ - [eɪɛ] ǽ - [eɪi]
œ - [ʊ]
Vilņa

Postby Raistlin » Fri 17 Jun 2011 2:11 pm

Vilņa wrote:Here is the pronunciation of the Værí alphabet (with the IPA):

b - [b]
c - [k]
ç - [cj]
d - [d]
e - [ɛ] é - [ˈi] ê - [i]
f - [f]
h - [h]
l - [l]
ļ - [hl]
m - [m]
n - [n]

ņ - [ɲ]
p - [p]
r - [r]
ŗ - [ɾ]
s - [s]
t - [t]
v - [v]
w - [w]
y - [j]
æ - [eɪɛ] ǽ - [eɪi]
œ - [ʊ]

So that is the complete alphabet, correct?
Another question. Will this language be a "substitution" language, or an actual language?
Otherwise, if you posted the words and a few more rules, I might learn it. ;)
Raistlin

Postby Vilņa » Fri 01 Jul 2011 5:49 pm

Raistlin wrote:
Vilņa wrote:Here is the pronunciation of the Værí alphabet (with the IPA):

b - [b]
c - [k]
ç - [cj]
d - [d]
e - [ɛ] é - [ˈi] ê - [i]
f - [f]
h - [h]
l - [l]
ļ - [hl]
m - [m]
n - [n]

ņ - [ɲ]
p - [p]
r - [r]
ŗ - [ɾ]
s - [s]
t - [t]
v - [v]
w - [w]
y - [j]
æ - [eɪɛ] ǽ - [eɪi]
œ - [ʊ]

So that is the complete alphabet, correct?
Another question. Will this language be a "substitution" language, or an actual language?
Otherwise, if you posted the words and a few more rules, I might learn it. ;)

This is an actual language. More rules coming very soon.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Fri 01 Jul 2011 9:43 pm

More grammar:
~The verbal gender must match the noun's gender. E.G., the correct sentence would be "Etas Fílaræ sías", not "Etas Fílaræ sía". In the first example, the masculine noun (fílaræ) matches the masculine verb (sías).
~The prefix "da-" is added to adjectives to increase their value. E.G., "Tas davilņas sía" means "It is very windy".
~A negative is indicated with the prefix "æt-" before a verb. E.G., Ætáveo means "to not have" (áveo - have). So "John fílar ætáveo" means "John does not have a cat". Note that when I, we, you, he, she, or they are taking the action, you simply add the prefix before you add the subject prefixes/suffixes to the vowel. "Esætáveoas fílar" means "I do not have a cat". I am a male, so the suffix is "-as".
~There is no yes or no, you must repeat the question either with an affirmative or a negative.
~When answering questions, the word "vuta" is used as an affirmative, placed before the object or subject.
~When asking a question that does not contain who, what, when, where, why, or how, and interrogative is indicated by the word "ata" before the verb.

As an example of the last three rules, here is a short staged conversation:
Person 1: "Ti fílar ata áveo?"
Person 2 (female): "Esáveoa vuta fílar."
(English translation)
Person 1: "Do you have a cat?"
Person 2: "I do have a cat." (Or, more simply translated, "yes".)
More coming soon.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Wed 06 Jul 2011 1:57 am

This is the Lord's Prayer in Værí:

Esi Purantæ cí Cælnorae mǽnreas, sançifur tiis imûn sías. Tiis rácna udvên , tiis volinte fíus sías un Tiŗus it tas Cælnorae sía. Es eta sîlata Esi sîlatani lévus adias, nam Es Esi trenscras icnôscas it Esicnôscs at cí trenscra advuris es. Nam es nal in tindâd dícerias, sit es ada vlasa láberisas. (Inam tiis rácna, postŗiva, ecœlas ferpastin sías.)
Amen.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Sat 09 Jul 2011 3:49 pm

Error:

I put in an earlier post that "a" said [æ]. In actuality, "a" says both [æ] and [a], although primarily the latter. My apologies for this error.
Vilņa

Postby Vilņa » Sun 10 Jul 2011 2:20 am

Also, in response to the above post, I have another correction to make. Before I really was familiar with the International Phonetic Alphabet, I assumed that [r] stood for the sound that the English letter 'r' made in the word 'red'. After close inspection, I found out that [r] stood for an alveolar trill. So, here are the two corrections I have made.

a - [a], [æ]
r - [ɹ]

My apologies for my mistakes.
Vilņa

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery