Strange romlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Strange romlang

Postby Remd » Mon 17 Jan 2011 1:10 am

Hi,
I've been thinking for a while about creating a conlang (even though I guess I won't, because I don't have much free time and I get bored quite quickly).

The main idea for the conlang is to gather information about as many Romance languages as I can and create a romlang using ONLY words of Romance languages with a NON-Romance origin, that is, for example, Arabic words in Spanish, Slavic words in Romanian, Celtic words in French (if it's possible, I can't really speak French) and so on.

I know it doesn't seem very useful, but I think it might be interesting. Besides, I guess this kind of vocabulary is the most difficult to learn for a Romance speaker learning another language, so maybe the glossaries compiled could help :? .

Anyway, what do you think?
Remd

Re: Strange romlang

Postby Phlogiston » Mon 17 Jan 2011 7:48 am

The way it seems to me is that this lang would require quite a bit of work, which you appear to know. However, I believe that this project would be very interesting, although one question would be how you are going to structure the grammar to tie it together. Eh?
Languages (Some may overlap):
Native: English
Learning: Deutsch, English
Looking Towards: Dansk
Constructing: Fragen (WIP)
Phlogiston

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 Jan 2011 4:46 pm

Remd wrote:The main idea for the conlang is to gather information about as many Romance languages as I can and create a romlang using ONLY words of Romance languages with a NON-Romance origin, that is, for example, Arabic words in Spanish, Slavic words in Romanian, Celtic words in French (if it's possible, I can't really speak French) and so on.

I don't know how it would be possible given that the basic vocabulary of every Romance language is still Romance--including, crucially, the function words. How many borrowed prepositions are there among the Romance languages? The only possible candidate in Spanish, for instance, is hasta (if this is indeed from Arabic ḥatta and not Latin AD ISTA). What Romance language has auxiliary verbs derived from borrowings instead of Latin STO, HABEO, VOLO, TENEO, etc.?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Remd » Mon 17 Jan 2011 8:19 pm

Well, it's just an idea, I know it is impossible or almost impossible to find prepositions and auxiliary verbs borrowed from other languages apart from Latin... But for the verbs perhaps there are synonyms even if they are not usually used, otherwise I guess it should be Romance. And the same for the syntax and so on. But I am just wondering how many worlds it is possible to find to create a lexicon so complete that it can be used in a normal conversation.
Remd

Postby Remd » Mon 17 Jan 2011 8:30 pm

And I forgot pronouns. They are borrowed from Latin too in all the Romance languages I think. The only example I can think about right now of a different origin is "usted", from "vuestra merced", which are Romance words anyway. But well, there is a way to say "I", which is "mi menda" or "este menda", which comes from the first person in caló.
Remd

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 Jan 2011 8:55 pm

Remd wrote:And I forgot pronouns. They are borrowed from Latin too in all the Romance languages I think.

More accurate to say they are inherited from Latin. "Borrowed" would be if Spanish-speakers said ['eɣo] instead of [ʝo].

Several of the Romance languages have second-person pronouns derived analytically in the same way as Usted (e.g. Romanian dumneavoastră, lit. "your lordship"). But I understood your proposal as disqualifying these as well. Using Caló mende is a clever idea, but I'm not sure what you're going to do about the other persons. Maybe fulano (from Ar. fulān) for third person?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Remd » Mon 17 Jan 2011 10:27 pm

More accurate to say they are inherited from Latin. "Borrowed" would be if Spanish-speakers said ['eɣo] instead of [ʝo].

Yes, sorry, you're right. My command of English is not so good and I need to practise :roll: I just didn't come up with that word.

Several of the Romance languages have second-person pronouns derived analytically in the same way as Usted (e.g. Romanian dumneavoastră, lit. "your lordship").

I think it's similar for "você" in Portuguese, but I was think about using as many non_Romance words as I can.

Maybe fulano (from Ar. fulān) for third person?

This is a very good idea. Just the kind of thing I was thinking about.
Remd

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 Jan 2011 10:44 pm

Remd wrote:I think it's similar for "você" in Portuguese, but I was think about using as many non_Romance words as I can.

And vostè in Catalan. (I also remember seeing a contracted form of vostra merce attested in mediaeval Italian, but I can't remember precisely what it was.)

Second person's still tricky. Perhaps we could choose for these purposes to play a little fast and loose with scholarship and allow Usted on account of the canard that this represents Arabic ustādh? That would allow the article el in through the back door, since there's a similar myth involving Arabic al. Or you could just do without articles. Plenty of languages do--Latin among them!
linguoboy

Return to Conlangery