Does anybody recognize this language?

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.
rickwakely

Does anybody recognize this language?

Postby rickwakely » Mon 06 Dec 2010 6:44 pm

Hi,
I'm interested to know if anyone can recognize a few words I'm curious about. They're from a novel whose author frequently borrowed from real-world languages in developing the terminology used in his fictional universe. His preferred language-donor was Arabic, but he derived his peculiar vocabulary from a number of other sources as well. The words I'm interested in are:

wekht
yaghist
kehl
jandola

I'm aware that Jandola is a Pakistani placename and may be a word of Urdu origin, so I'm interested in both the etymology of that toponym and in any nearly or fully homographic words that might exist in other languages. I've found a few words in Pashto dialectal dictionaries whose transliterations approach "wekht," and a location called "Gorwekht" in several books about early twentieth century Pakistan near the Afghan border - those books also attesting "Jandola." Does anybody recognize any of these words?

Omniglot is a great resource for information on world languages, and so equally, I thought, must the forums be. Thus I submit my question to you.
Thanks

IJzeren Jan

Re: Does anybody recognize this language?

Postby IJzeren Jan » Tue 07 Dec 2010 12:59 am

Hm, these words do indeed have an Indian look-and-feel to me, but it's not Hindi. Perhaps some other Indian language, like Punjabi or Kashmiri?

"Wekht"... Reminds of the Hindi word for "time", waqt.

telal

Postby telal » Wed 15 Dec 2010 1:43 am

those words are meaningless outside of the novel you reference
לא משנה

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu 22 Oct 2015 9:59 am

IJzeren Jan wrote:Hm, these words do indeed have an Indian look-and-feel to me, but it's not Hindi. Perhaps some other Indian language, like Punjabi or Kashmiri?

"Wekht"... Reminds of the Hindi word for "time", waqt.

Probably just simply Arabic, since waqt also means "time" in that language.

Return to “Languages other than English”