Professor Prasanna Sree's scripts....

If you've spotted anything on Omniglot that needs correcting, or have any suggestions for new material or how the site could be improved, this is the place to discuss them.

Professor Prasanna Sree's scripts....

Postby Jeisuke » Tue 30 Nov 2010 9:36 am

Hi Simon and all other members of the Omniglot Family,

I've noticed a number of uploads of "New Scripts" for quite a few Aboriginal languages of India. However, they are mostly from Prof. Prasanna Sree. Now groups like SIL, and others often create scripts for languages (for Religious or Political propagation), in those instances, the scripts are generally used by at least a percentage of the target population. However, in Prof. Sree's case, I haven't been able to find any actual usage of the scripts he/she's created by the target populations. As such, how then do these scripts differ from a con-script designed for English, Chinese, Pali, Hmong or whatever? My point is that I think Prof. Sree's scripts should be included in the Constructed Script for Natural Language, as the scripts appear to be Prof. Sree's own artistic creations rather than from any direct feedback or input from any of his/her Aboriginal target groups. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

b.regs,
JG
Jeisuke

Re: Professor Prasanna Sree's scripts....

Postby telal » Tue 30 Nov 2010 8:16 pm

i completely agree with your assessment
לא משנה
telal

Postby Saimundo » Wed 01 Dec 2010 12:19 pm

I haven't decided how to classify these scripts yet. Prof Sree is actively promoting their use among the people who speak the relevant languages, and I understand that there is considerable interest in them.

You can find out more about the scripts and Prof Sree at: http://www.profprasannasree.com/project2.html and http://www.tehelka.com/story_main46.asp?filename=hub140810Language.asp
one language is never enough / 一種語言永遠不夠 / dydy un iaith byth yn ddigon
Saimundo

Postby Aika-sáni » Sun 05 Dec 2010 10:30 pm

I was wonderring if someone would comment on these scripts, I certainly thought of it. Infact it stikes me as odd that noone seems to comment on any of the writing systems on the Omniglot website, on either natural or created scripts.
I'm not a fan of Prof. Sree's scripts because to me they seem un-imaginative, seeming to be coppies of existing scripts, and very combersome in style. I certainly can't imagine writing anything with them and I fear that this would not help the spread of litteracy.
Having said that; I must say that I know nothing of the Prof's work, save the info. on Omniglot (I am interested in finding out). I'm sure she's doing good work and I do not want to sound dissmissive of that. I just come from a different stand point on writing to that that I assume she is.
Also it does make sense to base a script for an indic/south asian language on the traditional indian writing system as it is a very good one.
I hope I have not insulted the Professore in stating my opinion and I wish her luck in her good work.
Dća a haíjạ́na ce Hijẹíba, Saï--ba, Ạía, Yedẹma ai ba cạjam.
Aika-sáni

Return to Corrections and suggestions