Khidrael Nidei

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Khidrael Nidei

Postby Alisbet » Fri 05 Nov 2010 9:20 am

This is another conlang of mine and it's spoken by the Cie'ledh people. The Cie'ledh people lives pn this island named Cearvanlei and they have many similarities to the Celtic people in our Earth, especially the Irish. They are good storytellers for example and they have good respect for them. They are divided upon many clans and this is reflected in their names. The first name is actually the last name while the name of the clan comes first. Next comes the name that defines who is the father of that person. The Cie'ledh people traditionally uses animals known as Heor'vandas to move around. They are basically like horses except a bit larger and has more reptilian features in them. It is considered as a sacred duty for a Yicandrel (rider) to eat the remains of the steed when it dies. A clan leader, the Orfeat, is the most respected person in the village and he is the one who has the power to declare war and give names to the newborn. Influence from the outside has diminished these traditions a bit but the clan leaders still have considerable influence. You could say that traditions rules the lives of the Cie'ledh.

And that's all for now I guess. Let's tackle the language next.

The Khidrael Nidei has many features that makes it like the Celtic languages of Earth although there also features that questions this claim.

The syntax:

The Khidrael Nidei has an unusual syntax. Usually the verb comes first and then the subject.
Diher Ilius na scheard: Ilius speaks at the meeting.

The writing system:

The writing system of this language basically consists of curves and is an alphabet by nature. It uses no punctuation whatsoever and it's traditionally written with no spaces although spaces are becoming more common nowadays. The proper names are marked with this little mark called as gochei which resembles an apostrophe over the over the first letter.

And that's all of the details for now. Tell me what do you think?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Re: Khidrael Nidei

Postby linguoboy » Fri 05 Nov 2010 1:24 pm

Alisbet wrote:And that's all of the details for now. Tell me what do you think?

There's not much I can tell from a single sentence. Verb-initial order isn't that unusual. After all, it's found in every Western European language (albeit often confined to interrogative clauses). What other "Celtic" features does it have?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Alisbet » Fri 05 Nov 2010 7:27 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Alisbet wrote:And that's all of the details for now. Tell me what do you think?

There's not much I can tell from a single sentence. Verb-initial order isn't that unusual. After all, it's found in every Western European language (albeit often confined to interrogative clauses). What other "Celtic" features does it have?

Well, I don't know yet. But is certain that the Cie'ledh have many sacred rites and traditions. For example, it's a tradition to bury a famous person like a clan chief in a tomb made of stone called as deideran.

You also mentioned that Verb-initial order can be found in many western European languages. This language simply uses that order in more occasions than the interrogative clauses.
Alisbet

Postby Alisbet » Fri 26 Nov 2010 7:23 pm

The Cie'ledh people are good writers of literature that can even match the literature in our Earth. They hold writers in great respect and there are even awards called 'Siyele' that are given once in 2 years. There are 5 different categories for the awards and they are as follow:

Siyele Fiera: Awarded to the book that 'is outstanding in the plot and is of a type that everyone should read at least once'. This is the most prestigious of the awards.

Siyele Juventia: Awarded to the book that 'gives valuable information about the world for the young and gives them the necessary experience for the future'. This is the second most prestigious award.

Siyele Terimia: Awarded to the book that 'tell information about the ever-changing world and gives valuable information for the posterity'. Books used for education falls in this category.

Siyele Ordinia: Awarded to the book that ' promises to tell the truth at all costs'.

Siyele Rizemia: Awarded to the book that 'brings the creativity of the writer to it's fullest.

And now for more details about the language.

The Khidrael Nidei is written using a script that is basically classified as an abugida in our terms.

The number system in the language is based upon the number 6 that is seen as a sacred number in Cie'leth culture.

0:Tir
1:Rimae
2:Havor
3:Yzarea
4: Quintaze
5:Wizur

Number higher than 6 are expressed as the base number and indicator number combined together with ciaem. For example, the number 7 is expressed as Havor-ciaem-rimae while the number 17 is havor-ciaem-havor. It might sound complex but it's actually simple when you get used to it. Take note that the word ciaem appears only once in the number. It cannot appear twice in numbers with three numerals and so on. It's advisable to keep that in mind. Take note that the number zero is only used with the context of nothing.
Alisbet

Postby linguoboy » Fri 26 Nov 2010 9:06 pm

Alisbet wrote:The number system in the language is based upon the number 6 that is seen as a sacred number in Cie'leth culture.

Number higher than 6 are expressed as the base number and indicator number combined together with ciaem. For example, the number 7 is expressed as Havor-ciaem-rimae while the number 17 is havor-ciaem-havor.

This makes no sense to me. I can kind of see havor-ciaem-rimae as adding up to 7 if what you have is actually base 5 with the ones column preceding (i.e. "two and one [five]" = seven). But applying the same logic to havor-ciaem-havor should yield twelve, not seventeen (i.e. "two and two [fives]" = twelve). Moreover, since 17 is prime, I can't find any way of deriving it from the sum of two multiples of two.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Alisbet » Sat 27 Nov 2010 9:56 am

linguoboy wrote:
Alisbet wrote:The number system in the language is based upon the number 6 that is seen as a sacred number in Cie'leth culture.

Number higher than 6 are expressed as the base number and indicator number combined together with ciaem. For example, the number 7 is expressed as Havor-ciaem-rimae while the number 17 is havor-ciaem-havor.

This makes no sense to me. I can kind of see havor-ciaem-rimae as adding up to 7 if what you have is actually base 5 with the ones column preceding (i.e. "two and one [five]" = seven). But applying the same logic to havor-ciaem-havor should yield twelve, not seventeen (i.e. "two and two [fives]" = twelve). Moreover, since 17 is prime, I can't find any way of deriving it from the sum of two multiples of two.

Well, again, like I said, it might seem complex but when you actually think about it, it does make some sense. The number 6 is simply havor-ciaem without the indicator number which should be the zero while 16 is havor-ciaem-tir with tir pronounced without the R at the end.
Alisbet

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Tue 30 Nov 2010 8:55 am

Alisbet wrote:. . . .
You also mentioned that Verb-initial order can be found in many western European languages. This language simply uses that order in more occasions than the interrogative clauses.

About 10 percent of the world's languages are default V-initial. O-initial is what's rare.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Alisbet » Sun 12 Jun 2011 7:40 pm

Ok, I have decided to update details of this language as well as details about the people that speaks this language.

Some Phrases:

Good morning: Karach durea, lit: praise the sun

The meeting shall now commence: Eorda ceta nidaer

Arise, my apprentice: Padawer fea paddrar

Descriptive words:

One unique aspect is this language that words change depending on the situation. Mostly they are slight changes like changes of letters but sometimes entire words can change with the situation. For example, the word 'house' has different forms that describes what type of house it is. For instance, 'feraronan' means the house is made of wood and 'gararonan' means the house is made of rock.

The speakers of this language, the Cie'ledh takes a very good care of the plants and animals of their worlds. They however, are very protective of their territory and are in a state of war with their southern neighbours the Yin Zeng although many younger generations have made attempts to make friends with them.
Alisbet

Postby JANKO GORENC » Wed 15 Jun 2011 7:21 pm

Alisbet wrote:The Cie'ledh people are good writers of literature that can even match the literature in our Earth. They hold writers in great respect and there are even awards called 'Siyele' that are given once in 2 years. There are 5 different categories for the awards and they are as follow:

Siyele Fiera: Awarded to the book that 'is outstanding in the plot and is of a type that everyone should read at least once'. This is the most prestigious of the awards.

Siyele Juventia: Awarded to the book that 'gives valuable information about the world for the young and gives them the necessary experience for the future'. This is the second most prestigious award.

Siyele Terimia: Awarded to the book that 'tell information about the ever-changing world and gives valuable information for the posterity'. Books used for education falls in this category.

Siyele Ordinia: Awarded to the book that ' promises to tell the truth at all costs'.

Siyele Rizemia: Awarded to the book that 'brings the creativity of the writer to it's fullest.

And now for more details about the language.

The Khidrael Nidei is written using a script that is basically classified as an abugida in our terms.

The number system in the language is based upon the number 6 that is seen as a sacred number in Cie'leth culture.

Number higher than 6 are expressed as the base number and indicator number combined together with ciaem. For example, the number 7 is expressed as Havor-ciaem-rimae while the number 17 is havor-ciaem-havor. It might sound complex but it's actually simple when you get used to it. Take note that the word ciaem appears only once in the number. It cannot appear twice in numbers with three numerals and so on. It's advisable to keep that in mind. Take note that the number zero is only used with the context of nothing.

Hi,
Could you please tell me how is name for number 6, 7 , 8, 9, 10?

Thank you!

Janko
JANKO GORENC

Postby linguoboy » Wed 15 Jun 2011 8:18 pm

Alisbet wrote:Descriptive words:

One unique aspect is this language that words change depending on the situation. Mostly they are slight changes like changes of letters but sometimes entire words can change with the situation. For example, the word 'house' has different forms that describes what type of house it is. For instance, 'feraronan' means the house is made of wood and 'gararonan' means the house is made of rock.

I don't really see anything "unique" about this feature. In German, for instance, these words would be Holzhaus and Steinhaus, respectively.
linguoboy

Next

Return to Conlangery