Fourth Language

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Fourth Language

Postby dtp883 » Sun 03 Oct 2010 10:53 am

I go through varying periods of interest in Language Learning. Right now, I am in MAX mode, pretty much all of my free time can be spent language learning. I am a native English speaker and I'd like to think that I am somewhere near fluent in Spanish, somewhere above intermediate, at least. I have also been taking French classes for a while now. But, I was wondering what you all thought about the prospect of a fourth language. I'm thinking it will either be Italien or Portuguese but I'm having trouble choosing. I have a feeling Italien would be easy to pronounce and read and write. However, Portuguese looks like it has nearly identical vocabulary to Spanish, but also, an insane orthography and a few vowels I cannot distinguish, let alone produce. I'd like to know what you guys think about this and also on the actual possibility of learning a third second language.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Re: Fourth Language

Postby dtp883 » Sun 03 Oct 2010 10:56 am

Oh yeah, the Portuguese would most definitely be European. I haven't been able to find much on the mutual intelligibility of the two types.

Also, this language does not depend on usefulness, number of speakers, or things like that. Fun, and the possibility of new people are the main reasons for this one.

Oops! In the first post, I wrote Italian as Italien both times. Maybe this isn't such a great idea! :lol:
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Jarhead » Sun 03 Oct 2010 11:05 pm

Hi dtp883!
I can give you advice about italian becouse I'm actually, italian.
First thing: italian is difficult. It has loads of irregular verbs, and they don't follow any kind of patterns. Looking at the attempts to speak in italian by english speakers, I think this is the biggest difficulty. Even spanish has many irregular verbs, but not quite as many as italian has.
Also, spanish and italian vocabulary is really really similar. I mean, if you speak italian in Spain, almost everybody understands the basic meaning of what you are saying without effort.
Now, spending a words or two in favour of my language:
I love the way italian sounds. Maybe is just because I listen to it all day, but italian poetry seems to me the most beautiful. Way better than spanish or french :P And we have opera! I can't imagine what it's like listening to opera and don't get what it says (even if sometimes it's hard to understand everything even for me... xD).
If you are really so much into language learning, italian could be a good choice. And after having learnt spanish and italian, learning latin will be a breeze for you!

Bye,
Jarhead.
Native: Italian
Fluent (on a good day): English, Spanish
Can understand: Latin, Toki Pona
Jarhead

Postby linguoboy » Mon 04 Oct 2010 2:03 pm

dtp883 wrote:Oh yeah, the Portuguese would most definitely be European. I haven't been able to find much on the mutual intelligibility of the two types.

As far as I can tell, it's the same as it is for other plurilocal languages with established American varieties like English, French, and Spanish. At least I've never heard a Brazilian tell me they couldn't understand Europeans or vice-versa.

dtp883 wrote:Also, this language does not depend on usefulness, number of speakers, or things like that. Fun, and the possibility of new people are the main reasons for this one.

For me, it was easy: I love Brazilian music but don't really care for Italian. So I learned enough Portuguese to understand the lyrics of the songs I loved. I keep meaning to learn enough Italian to read some Italian literature, but somehow it never ends up happening.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Return to General chat