The wiki method (a.k.a. "very crazy method")

The place to discuss learning languages

The wiki method (a.k.a. "very crazy method")

Postby Svip » Mon 04 May 2009 10:37 pm

I love Futurama... as a friend! But I would also love to learn Estonian. Only today did it me I could combine these two things.

See, I run the biggest Futurama wiki on the net. However, we are only available in English, because our main line of contribution are from English speaking people. Nothing against English people, but I was thinking, what could be the "best" way to learn a language? Write a wiki in the language.

Of course, I could break out the Estonian Wikipedia, but that would be too ... obvious, instead, I created an Estonian version of our wiki, now that's thinking outside the box, eh?

Also, on the slim chance that there are some Estonian editors out there that are also big fans of Futurama, I welcome you!
Svip

Re: The wiki method (a.k.a. "very crazy method")

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 05 May 2009 3:07 am

Are you interested in opening the Wiki in any other languages?
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Fiona » Tue 05 May 2009 4:53 am

I don't know anything about Futurama, but if you want some Dutch translations I'd be happy to help you out some. =)
Please correct me if I make a mistake!
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: English
Beginning: Español
Interested: العربية, Русский, עברית, Deutsch, 日本語, ASL
Fiona | فيونة | פיונה | フィオーナ | Фиона | ᎢᎣᎾ | Φιονα | ᐱᐅᓇ | ᚠᛁᛟᚾᚨ
Fiona

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 05 May 2009 5:16 am

Futurama is my second favorite show (after The Simpsons ;) ), and I'd be glad to attempt to do some German and/or Norwegian translations, and possibly Luxembourgish, but i doubt many people would read that. xP
Sean of the Dead

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 05 May 2009 5:59 am

Yay! Now you can have Dutch, Norwegian, German, Esperanto and Italian versions of your Wiki!
Yay! Adesso puoi avere versione olandese, norvegese, esperanto, e italiana del tuo Wiki!
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Svip » Tue 05 May 2009 11:27 am

Currently our main reason against another language version of our wiki is that our main contributors only speak English (except me, who also speaks Danish), so the real issue have been whether we could keep the high quality of our English version in the other versions.

For this reason, I am not going to ask for translations, I would prefer it if someone would feel for the show as I do, and write about it in their own language.

Translations are good, but to keep really focused, you got to go with the heart.

A German and a French version would not be a terrible bad idea, given how Futurama is very popular in Germany (as well as Austria and Switzerland) and France (as well as Québec and other places) seeing as the show also has German and French versions (See more about foreign versions of the show here).

I have noticed there is a German Futurama wiki somewhere on the net, not that that would stop us from creating a German version of our own. I have also noticed that the Russian Wikipedia is pretty well integrated with the show, having articles about every episode.

Dutch wouldn't heard either, as I know several Dutchmen who also likes the show and would probably be willing to contribute.

But yes, we are interested in opening the wiki in other languages, we just need to be sure that there is a firm "base" behind it. So that the version of the wiki doesn't die a few weeks afterwards. Also, I will have to speak with the other admins.
Svip

Postby Jayan » Tue 05 May 2009 3:11 pm

Not to be stupid or anything...but how do you go about setting up a wiki? I like your idea, it gives good practise in the language while dealing with something else you care about, but I don't know how to actually do it...
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Svip » Tue 05 May 2009 4:38 pm

Jayan wrote:Not to be stupid or anything...but how do you go about setting up a wiki? I like your idea, it gives good practise in the language while dealing with something else you care about, but I don't know how to actually do it...

It's true you need some skill with some Wiki software (in this case, MediaWiki) and knowledge of how to set it up. Skills I also have, but hey, I am studying computer science, I ought to know a thing or two about them.

So true, the method is not for everyone, and it was also a bit of a joke at my expense.
Svip

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 05 May 2009 6:34 pm

Well, I LOVE Futurama, I'm asking for it on DVD for my birthday.
Beh, AMO Futurama, lo chiedo in DVD per mio compleanno.
ILuvEire

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 05 May 2009 8:43 pm

Ok nevermind, I'm out. :D :oops: :P
Sean of the Dead

Next

Return to Language learning