What classification of writing system is this?

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

What classification of writing system is this?

Postby Layke » Tue 03 Aug 2010 7:20 am

Hey guys, I have invented my own con-script for a language I am working on, but I'm a bit confused as to exactly what kind of writing system it would be classified as. I'd say it's most similar to an alphabet, but it has one interesting feature that normal alphabets don't have. Basically, every consonant has a one-to-one correspondence ('s' has it's own symbol, 't', 'h', etc...). But the vowels are all shared by one symbol that uses different diacritics to designate which vowel is being used.

What would you say this system is called? A mix, or more of a abjad? (sorry if that is misspelled)
Layke

Re: What classification of writing system is this?

Postby Delodephius » Tue 03 Aug 2010 9:06 am

I guess its just an alphabet. If all the consonants are written and you have a separate symbol for a vowel that is only being modified by diactrics to represent different vowels, then I would say it is just some type of an alphabet.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Caenwyr » Tue 03 Aug 2010 3:27 pm

I agree with Delodephius.

Must say I'm getting curious about that writing system! Will you show us some samples?
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Layke » Tue 03 Aug 2010 6:37 pm

Absolutely, however, I haven't the time right now. Off to work. When I get back though I'll try posting some images of it. Maybe someone should move this over into con-scripts now though. That's probably where it should have been in the first place.
Layke

Postby Talib » Wed 04 Aug 2010 3:05 am

If the vowels are written as diacritics, isn't it an abugida?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Layke » Wed 04 Aug 2010 5:00 am

But the vowels aren't technically diacritics. There is one vowel symbol, short vertical line. The symbol by it's self represents 'ah' and 'oh'. With one right accent (The accent that runs bottom-left to top-right), it represents 'ih' and 'ee', and with two it represents 'eh' and 'oo'. Also, accents can be placed over consonants symbols to labialize or palatenize them. For example, the symbol for 'k' with one accent represents 'ky' and with two accents, it represents 'kw'. I hope that isn't too confusing.
Layke

Postby ILuvEire » Wed 04 Aug 2010 5:57 am

Layke wrote:But the vowels aren't technically diacritics. There is one vowel symbol, short vertical line. The symbol by it's self represents 'ah' and 'oh'. With one right accent (The accent that runs bottom-left to top-right), it represents 'ih' and 'ee', and with two it represents 'eh' and 'oo'. Also, accents can be placed over consonants symbols to labialize or palatenize them. For example, the symbol for 'k' with one accent represents 'ky' and with two accents, it represents 'kw'. I hope that isn't too confusing.

Yeah, that's exactly what an abugida is. Hindi works much the same.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Delodephius » Wed 04 Aug 2010 10:25 am

But when you write a word, does only that vowel symbol have the diactrics or are the diactrics written over the consonant symbols?
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Layke » Wed 04 Aug 2010 4:32 pm

A word like 'gone' would have a symbol for /g/ without diacritics, a vowel symbol without diacritics for the /ah/ sound, and a symbol for the /n/ sound. However, in a word like 'quick', there would be a symbol for /k/ with diacritics for over it adding the /w/ sound, making it /kw/. There would then be a separate symbol for the /ih/ vowel with one accent over it and the final symbol for /k/. Does that make sense?
Layke

Postby Alisbet » Wed 04 Aug 2010 4:47 pm

This sounds like an interesting writing system. Keep it up. I would like to see some more details of this script.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Next

Return to Writing systems