Ing Grez- new con-script for english

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

Ing Grez- new con-script for english

Postby Mintzman » Fri 09 Jul 2010 1:18 am

Hey.

Ok so over the past six months, i have created 4 new alphabets.

The first one is called Ing Grez. Here is the alphabet.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Aa-Éé/ Jj-Yy / Ss-Zz
Bb-Pp/ Kk-Cc / Tt-Dd
Cc-Kk/ Ll-Rr / Uu-Òò
Dd-Tt/ Mm-Nn / Vv-Ff
Ee-Ìì / Nn- Ŋŋ/ Ww-Ūū
Ff-Vv / Oo-Ùù / Xx-Hh
Gg-Qq / Pp-Bb / Yy-Úú
Hh-Xx/ Qq-Gg / Zz-Ss
Ii-Ēē / Rr-Ll /
--------------------------------------------------------------------
As u see, what i did was looking at an IPA chart, and found similar phonetic letters, and put them together and made a new script.

Púì:
Mintzman

Re: Ing Grez- new con-script for english

Postby linguoboy » Fri 09 Jul 2010 3:12 am

Mintzman wrote:As u see, what i did was looking at an IPA chart, and found similar phonetic letters, and put them together and made a new script.

I don't see a new script, just a selection of letters belonging to one that already exists (Latin extended).
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby kaenif » Fri 09 Jul 2010 8:29 am

Can you explain a bit more? I don't understand. :|
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Mintzman » Sat 10 Jul 2010 4:39 am

first off, yes this con-script has just latin extended letters. but i am not really into trying to make a new script. i pefere to make a new form of writing a language using previous forms of writing. :D

second off, this is my first alphabet. so i wouldn't really expect it to be that amazing. i created this alphabet in November, right after i found Omniglot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now, i know someone wanted me to explain this alphabet. here are a few key key points:

a) the script is based off of similar phonetic sounds to pre-existing sounds in english.
b) all the vowels have only one accent mark type. I.E. all the a's are é's, no matter what the sound is.
c) the spelling is exactly like that of english, including silent e's at the end.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, the name Ing Grez is really Ìŋqrēzx, meaning english. but seeing that both qr and zx doesn't exist in english, i modified it to Ing Grez.
Mintzman

Postby dtp883 » Sat 10 Jul 2010 5:36 am

Ē tùŋ'd zìì dxì bùēŋd.

This has nothing to do with phonetics or the IPA, one just replaces existing letters with one from your alphabet. It's more like a code. Unless I'm completely missing the point. It does look kind of cool though.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Mintzman » Mon 12 Jul 2010 12:31 am

ok.

since i've been getting negative comments on Ing Grez, and i want to clearify somemore.

1) This is my first con-script. I assure u, they get way better later on.

2) Even i agree that it is lame now.

3) I invented this alphabet when i was 13, so i have no freaking idea about IPA or linguistics. I only read one book on linguistics at all, and that was on my free time. So cut me some slack, considering that i have never taken a class on linguistics in my life, but i still wanted to publish the alphabet on this forum.

4) like what i wrote in point 3, i had no idea the difference between a code and a con-script, so i just did a small improv on the english alphabet, and made a replacement for each of the letters.

please remember two things now. as i wrap up:

a) i'm only 14

b) this is my first code, they get better as time go on.
Mintzman

Postby dtp883 » Mon 12 Jul 2010 9:57 am

Here's a little guide on terminology.

Script: A collection of letters that evolved together and go together for writing one or more languages. A script's letters constitute the more specific Alphabets. A, B, C, D, etc. are Latin Script. Likewise, א ב ג ד etc. are Assyrian/Hebrew Script.

Alphabet or Abjad: A collection of letters selected from the base script or derived from the script for a specific language. English uses the basic 26 letters of the Latin Script. Spanish uses those 26 letters too, but also uses the derived letters: á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, and ñ.

These terms are highly interchangeable, for instance, the Latin Script being called the Latin Alphabet. Many scripts are limited to a single language and are effectively both the script and the alphabet. However, scripts such as Arabic are used for many languages's alphabets, such as Farsi's, Urdu's, or Arabic's.

This isn't really linguistics, but that's okay. Codes as what I believe you made, simply switch the letters of the alphabet around. For example, I want to send a message to my friend that says, "Hi." I put it through your encoder and get Xē. No one but him--since he has the cypher-- can understand it. He puts it through and gets, "Hi."

A con-script is made entirely of new symbols for any language, artificial or natural. You can see some in this forum's threads.

If you want to make one based on sounds (you write words how they sound), I suggest that you read the Wikipedia articles on the IPA and the IPA for English. Although you can always make a script with a 1:1 correspondence to the Latin alphabet.
dtp883

Postby linguoboy » Mon 12 Jul 2010 2:13 pm

dtp883 wrote:This isn't really linguistics, but that's okay. Codes as what I believe you made, simply switch the letters of the alphabet around. For example, I want to send a message to my friend that says, "Hi." I put it through your encoder and get Xē. No one but him--since he has the cypher-- can understand it. He puts it through and gets, "Hi."

Technically, this is a cipher, not a code. A code would be using, say, "squirrel" to mean "hi". Codes can also be enciphered, of course.

Mintzman wrote:I invented this alphabet when i was 13, so i have no freaking idea about IPA or linguistics. I only read one book on linguistics at all, and that was on my free time. So cut me some slack, considering that i have never taken a class on linguistics in my life, but i still wanted to publish the alphabet on this forum.

Why lead off with your weakest work? I also invented my first script when I was about 13. It was terrible, and I never showed it to anybody. Why publish yours here when you've apparently got something better to show us now?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Tue 13 Jul 2010 10:26 am

Of course.

To Mintzman:
I'd like to point out that there are also abugidas which would fit under the alphabet's definition. Syllabaries (sp?), like Hindi, and logograms, like Chinese, are two other types of writing system but I don't know enough about them to comment.
dtp883

Postby Mintzman » Fri 16 Jul 2010 1:30 am

Why lead off with your weakest work? I also invented my first script when I was about 13. It was terrible, and I never showed it to anybody. Why publish yours here when you've apparently got something better to show us now?

see,that is the thing. i wanted to publish my weakest thing, so i prove that mine get better as time goes on. Like my next script. This one i made four months later. It is an alphabet, i believe. here is the code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aa- a (ah)
Bb-b
Kk-c/k/q
KKkk-g
Dd-d
Ee-e (eh)
Ff-v
FFff-f
Hh-h
Ii-i (ē)
IIii- ī (eye)
Jj-j
JJjj-y
Ll-l
LLll-dark l (i.e. wool)
Mm-m
Nn-n
NNnn-ng
Oo-o (aw)
OOoo-ō (o)
Pp-p
Rr-r
Ss-s
SSss-z
Tt-t
TTtt-th (θ or đ)
Uu-u (oo)
Vv-w
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as you can see, this script (or whatever it is 'technically' called) is starting to use some sounds that are not written in as one letter (tt is /th/ for example. and tt is one letter.), instead of just replacing letters with other ones. I based this one off of the Welsh alphabet. Like how d in welsh is d, and how dd it /dh/. That was what i was thinking when i made this script. There are certain accent marks to modify the script.

I don't really know if this counts as starting to look at sounds for linguistics, but the new alphabet does look cooler. and besides, it is way easier to write then Ing Grez.

bii ffor naoo- Tooni Mintss
Mintzman

Next

Return to Constructed writing systems