The First Economy

The place to discuss extinct languages.

The First Economy

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 5:53 pm

Tribal names are derived from the theistic eponym of their economy.The niche they find that allows them to live a settled existence is attributed to a supernatural force. The people with the theistic eponym of Oannes were dove breeders. It is easy to see how doves could be exchanged for goods and services as well as sustaining tribal members. There are many pre-diluvian references to doves so this economy is very ancient.

I have been trying to break down this word to find it's origination. Oa is very difficult to track because of the mistaken belief that all words begin with the Greek. I have found Os, Or, On, Ol, Op but not Oa. The closest I have come is Coptic wahe, ouahe "dwelling place, oasis," from ouih "dwell"). The same Egyptian source produced Arabic wah. So perhaps Oa is used to differentiate between people that remain in one place and those that are nomadic or hunter-gatherers.

Does anyone have any information on Oa?
falasha

Re: The First Economy

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 7:06 pm

Oa could be translated as "abides".
falasha

Postby linguoboy » Fri 09 Jul 2010 8:08 pm

falasha wrote:Oa could be translated as "abides".

Why not? Once you've redefined "translation" to mean "free association", then you can pick any correspondence you want.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 11:14 pm

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:Oa could be translated as "abides".

Why not? Once you've redefined "translation" to mean "free association", then you can pick any correspondence you want.

Can only Greek/Latin be translated? Are all languages that came before just primitive gruntings and therefore meaningless?
falasha

Postby dtp883 » Sat 10 Jul 2010 4:52 am

You know what he meant.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 5:51 am

dtp883 wrote:You know what he meant.

I honestly do not know what he meant. Greek speakers draw the etymological line at Koine. They will not step a foot into Egypt.
falasha

Postby linguoboy » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:41 am

falasha wrote:

I honestly do not know what he meant. Greek speakers draw the etymological line at Koine. They will not step a foot into Egypt.

That's simply not true. They accept that, say, πυραμίς (source of "pyramid") is from Egyptian pi-mar ("the pyramid") or that ἶβις (source of "ibis") comes from Egyptian hab (idem.). What they don't do is speculate willy-nilly.

Before you can refute existing wisdom, you have to acquaint yourself with it. You don't know the first thing about linguists and their work, yet you presume to tell us we've got it all wrong. What kind of lunatic behaviour is that?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:54 pm

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:

That's simply not true. They accept that, say, πυραμίς (source of "pyramid") is from Egyptian pi-mar ("the pyramid") or that ἶβις (source of "ibis") comes from Egyptian hab (idem.). What they don't do is speculate willy-nilly.

Before you can refute existing wisdom, you have to acquaint yourself with it. You don't know the first thing about linguists and their work, yet you presume to tell us we've got it all wrong. What kind of lunatic behaviour is that?

You are a linguist?

I use an Coptic/Arabic word and you tell me I don't know the first think about linguists. What should I assume? My lunatic behavior stems from years of study of the semetic culture. What does your megalomaniacal behavior stem from?
falasha

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 7:01 pm

Upon the preliminary evidence I have collected, a working theory is that the first economy was;

OYSTERS
falasha

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 10 Jul 2010 9:19 pm

falasha wrote:Upon the preliminary evidence I have collected, a working theory is that the first economy was;

OYSTERS

I think you've got something, at least if you're talking about the Maritime Archaic (red ochre) culture of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Next

Return to Extinct languages