Hola!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Hola!

Postby Fiona » Mon 04 May 2009 8:37 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Fiona/فيونة/פיונה. I think the Hebrew and Arabic are correct, if not, please let me know. If you would be willing to translate my name into any other languages/scripts please feel free to do so as well, I'd love you forever (and give you lots of cookies!!!). :D

Anyways, I am Fiona, and I'm an 18 year old currently living in the United States. I was born and grew up in The Netherlands, but I have been in the US for about 8 years now. I grew up bilingually, as a lot of Europeans do, speaking mostly Dutch but learning English from my American mom. I took two languages for granted until I moved to America, and saw how many people here only knew one language!

Since I've moved here, my interest in languages has definitely expanded... I'm still fluent in only English and Dutch, but I have been studying Spanish for the last several years now, and am very interested in learning many other languages, including Arabic, Hebrew, German, ASL, Japanese and Russian.

I've frequented language forums for several years now to try to learn more about my target languages... and I'm happy to finally be a part of this one now.

Glad to meet you all! Tot ziens! Adiós!
Please correct me if I make a mistake!
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: English
Beginning: Español
Interested: العربية, Русский, עברית, Deutsch, 日本語, ASL
Fiona | فيونة | פיונה | フィオーナ | Фиона | ᎢᎣᎾ | Φιονα | ᐱᐅᓇ | ᚠᛁᛟᚾᚨ
Fiona

Re: Hola!

Postby kaenif » Mon 04 May 2009 2:28 pm

Welcome to the Omniglot forum! :D

I think your name in Katakana is フィオーナ :P
(I thought it was フィオナ, but checked and found that it had a choon-fu)
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Declan » Mon 04 May 2009 3:55 pm

Fiona wrote:I took two languages for granted until I moved to America, and saw how many people here only knew one language!

People who speak English as a native language can tend to think that learning another language is unnecessary. It's a pity really, as Goethe said "those who don't know a foreign language, know nothing of their own".

Do you miss the Netherlands? It certainly must have been a change to move to the USA!
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 04 May 2009 5:56 pm

Your name in a couple scripts I know:
Фиона in Russian cyrillic
ᎢᎣᎾ in Cherokee
Φιονα in Greek
ᐱᐅᓇ in Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, it says "Piona," because there's no /f/. :P
ᚠᛁᛟᚾᚨ in the Elder Futhark, quite suiting for your name.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby linguoboy » Mon 04 May 2009 6:01 pm

Declan wrote:People who speak English as a native language can tend to think that learning another language is unnecessary.

Aren't they right in thinking so, more often than not?

Sure, learning a foreign language is an enriching experience. So is learning an instrument, or a competitive sport, or herpetology. It's a pity more people can't make their own music or heal other living things.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Declan » Mon 04 May 2009 6:24 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Declan wrote:People who speak English as a native language can tend to think that learning another language is unnecessary.

Aren't they right in thinking so, more often than not?

Well, yes I suppose they are. Certainly, living as I do in a tourist area, every tourist coming here has some bit of English, and everywhere I've ever been in Europe I've always been able to communicate in English if I didn't speak the language of the country.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Fiona » Tue 05 May 2009 12:14 am

kaenif wrote:I think your name in Katakana is フィオーナ

Why thank you!

Declan wrote:Do you miss the Netherlands? It certainly must have been a change to move to the USA!

I miss the NL very much. I love it here in Washington, but it really isn't quite home to me... even though I do have some family here. I really miss the atmosphere that the NL gives off, as well as France and Germany and all the other European countries I used to be able to visit. At least I get to go back and visit every other year. =)

ILuvEire wrote:Your name in a couple scripts I know:
Фиона in Russian cyrillic
ᎢᎣᎾ in Cherokee
Φιονα in Greek
ᐱᐅᓇ in Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, it says "Piona," because there's no /f/. :P
ᚠᛁᛟᚾᚨ in the Elder Futhark, quite suiting for your name.

Thank you very much. =D

linguoboy wrote:Sure, learning a foreign language is an enriching experience. So is learning an instrument, or a competitive sport, or herpetology. It's a pity more people can't make their own music or heal other living things.

I definitely agree with this... I think everyone should learn a foreign language if they have the opportunity!
Please correct me if I make a mistake!
Native: Nederlands
Fluent: English
Beginning: Español
Interested: العربية, Русский, עברית, Deutsch, 日本語, ASL
Fiona | فيونة | פיונה | フィオーナ | Фиона | ᎢᎣᎾ | Φιονα | ᐱᐅᓇ | ᚠᛁᛟᚾᚨ
Fiona

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 05 May 2009 2:22 am

Welcome Ayasha!!! :D :D

Nice to see you here on OG. (:

Sure, learning a foreign language is an enriching experience. So is learning an instrument, or a competitive sport, or herpetology. It's a pity more people can't make their own music or heal other living things.

Indubitably. :D
I love learning languages, before I didn't really have a hobby, or anything to do for fun, but play video games, which aren't useful at all.

Well, except hang out with friends, but I don't get a chance to do that very often.
Sean of the Dead

Postby Neqitan » Tue 05 May 2009 3:17 am

Sean of the Dead wrote:Nice to see you here on OG. (:

...OG?!? Excuse me but there's something I find annoying in that acronym.

It's all about that Wikipedia article Kaenif referred to in the old forum I shouldn't have read. xD
Neqitan

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 05 May 2009 5:14 am

OG = Omniglot

What's wrong with it?
Sean of the Dead

Next

Return to Introductions