Manna

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Manna

Postby Delodephius » Fri 09 Jul 2010 9:20 am

falasha wrote:Sexist comments should be reported. I don't know how well this forum is moderated. We shall see.

Linguaboy is a girl actually. :P
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
User avatar
Delodephius
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 17 Apr 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Сербія, Войводина

Re: Manna

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 2:36 pm

dtp883 wrote:I don't think you understand. It doesn't matter where the word chickpea comes from they are plants NOT bird dung.


OMG! You call yourself a linguist? "It doesn't matter where the word chickpea comes from". That is ALL that matters. Of course chickpeas are not dung. When you take this course of debate I believe it is called Strawman.

When trying to find the beginning of language a good place to start is the roots of words. However, linguists on this forum don't think the roots are important. The well educated on this forum think it is enough to stop at the Greek/Latin form. Although someone has mentioned Heraldry from the Middle Ages as a place to look for the origin of language.
falasha
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Manna

Postby linguoboy » Fri 09 Jul 2010 3:16 pm

falasha wrote:
linguoboy wrote:If you can't tell dung from pee, you must have some interesting conversations with your gynecologist!

Sexist comments should be reported. I don't know how well this forum is moderated. We shall see.

What's sexist about that comment? Had you been male, I would've said "your urologist".

falasha wrote:When trying to find the beginning of language a good place to start is the roots of words. However, linguists on this forum don't think the roots are important.

You don't actually know what the linguists on this forum think; you haven't listened to them. All you've done is present your own wild speculations as if they were fact. When all's said and done, linguists are scientists. Your fanciful meanderings don't bear even a passing resemblance to scientific method.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Manna

Postby dtp883 » Sat 10 Jul 2010 1:22 am

I kind of see where I went wrong, I thought you were trying to say that chickpeas=bird dung. :lol: In my defence though, when I went back to find your claim, it was kind of difficult to find it. Why were you talking about ancient merpeople and the Egyptian afterlife.

falasha wrote:After investigating this it turns out nobody knows where this word comes from. They are just guessing. Cicer comes from Krios/Crius God of Sky, son of Oannes (Yonah). Peas comes from Peas (plural peasen) which comes from pisis/pisus etc. PISS.

Anyway, you're wrong. According to Wikipedia, pea comes as a back formation of pease (they thought pease was plural so they dropped the /z/ to make pea singular), which came from Latin pisum which came from the Greek πίσος, pisos, if you can't read Greek. The fact that pisos, pisum, and pease (pea) all mean pea and the fact that peas are native to the Eastern Mediterranean, I'd say it's pretty plausible. They do know where the word "pea" came from, and it's not related to piss or urine and most definitely not dung, feces, defecate, and the like. Click. (A Greek dictionary entry defining πίσος as pisum and pease.)

IMHO, this invalidates your entire claim.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

Re: Manna

Postby dtp883 » Sat 10 Jul 2010 4:30 am

Also, I never claimed to be a linguist as I have no professional qualifications. For me, it's an amateur hobby.

You are focusing on middle eastern cultures and linking everything they do to a single verb root. This has less to do with language origins than it does with anthropology, at least in my eyes.

You also seem to be assuming that language originated in the cultures of Middle East which age in the thousands while I'm pretty sure the consensus is that language originated at least ~50,000 years ago.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
User avatar
dtp883
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 10:51 pm
Location: San Francisco Area

Re: Manna

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:02 am

dtp883 wrote:I kind of see where I went wrong, I thought you were trying to say that chickpeas=bird dung. :lol: In my defence though, when I went back to find your claim, it was kind of difficult to find it. Why were you talking about ancient merpeople and the Egyptian afterlife.

falasha wrote:After investigating this it turns out nobody knows where this word comes from. They are just guessing. Cicer comes from Krios/Crius God of Sky, son of Oannes (Yonah). Peas comes from Peas (plural peasen) which comes from pisis/pisus etc. PISS.

Anyway, you're wrong. According to Wikipedia, pea comes as a back formation of pease (they thought pease was plural so they dropped the /z/ to make pea singular), which came from Latin pisum which came from the Greek πίσος, pisos, if you can't read Greek. The fact that pisos, pisum, and pease (pea) all mean pea and the fact that peas are native to the Eastern Mediterranean, I'd say it's pretty plausible. They do know where the word "pea" came from, and it's not related to piss or urine and most definitely not dung, feces, defecate, and the like. Click. (A Greek dictionary entry defining πίσος as pisum and pease.)

IMHO, this invalidates your entire claim.


My GOD you are hardheaded!!!!! Nowhere in your mea culpa did you mention the symbology that is associated with this word. You are just parroting what you have read that was written by a Greek-o-phile. Here is a perfect example of a lot of information and very little knowledge.

As it turns out (I have a googler too) the root of the word for "peas" - not just Chickpeas but ALL peas - is BIRD DROPPINGS. And it comes from the MOTHER of all peas; Chickpeas. If you are not familiar with chickpeas then you won't understand. Chickpeas fueled the connecting of the world through the Roman Army. It was a very important commodity - WAIT! It was the MOST important commondity, besides water, to ancient man.
falasha
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Manna

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:10 am

dtp883 wrote:Also, I never claimed to be a linguist as I have no professional qualifications. For me, it's an amateur hobby.

You are focusing on middle eastern cultures and linking everything they do to a single verb root. This has less to do with language origins than it does with anthropology, at least in my eyes.

You also seem to be assuming that language originated in the cultures of Middle East which age in the thousands while I'm pretty sure the consensus is that language originated at least ~50,000 years ago.



Wrong again. I am merely tracing the origin of my own personal language heritage. Other people can trace their language origin if they please. However, I think, with good reason, this language is the absolute beginning of language. I can give you many more roots (not just verbs) and the words that are related to make my point. I have just given a few examples because I was asked for proof. That is unlike everyone else here who has attacked me and not given any evidence whatsoever for their position.

Language origins is not an isolated occurance. OF COURSE it is anthropology and anthropology is language origins. Maybe that is the problem why this has never been sufficiently addressed. The Ivory Tower is divided up into little rooms and no mixing allowed. Territorial lines are drawn because knowledge is power and science fundamentalists will not allow any cross-pollination.

50,000 years ago sounds about right.
falasha
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Manna

Postby linguoboy » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:48 am

falasha wrote:As it turns out (I have a googler too) the root of the word for "peas" - not just Chickpeas but ALL peas - is BIRD DROPPINGS. And it comes from the MOTHER of all peas; Chickpeas. If you are not familiar with chickpeas then you won't understand. Chickpeas fueled the connecting of the world through the Roman Army. It was a very important commodity - WAIT! It was the MOST important commondity, besides water, to ancient man.

It's a shame to waste such top-drawer material here. You should self-publish. Regardless whether this is ingenious trollery or completely wrongheaded sincerity, it deserves a larger audience.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Manna

Postby falasha » Sat 10 Jul 2010 6:59 pm

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:As it turns out (I have a googler too) the root of the word for "peas" - not just Chickpeas but ALL peas - is BIRD DROPPINGS. And it comes from the MOTHER of all peas; Chickpeas. If you are not familiar with chickpeas then you won't understand. Chickpeas fueled the connecting of the world through the Roman Army. It was a very important commodity - WAIT! It was the MOST important commondity, besides water, to ancient man.

It's a shame to waste such top-drawer material here. You should self-publish. Regardless whether this is ingenious trollery or completely wrongheaded sincerity, it deserves a larger audience.


New tactic? Blow smoke up ass?
falasha
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Manna

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 10 Jul 2010 9:22 pm

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:As it turns out (I have a googler too) the root of the word for "peas" - not just Chickpeas but ALL peas - is BIRD DROPPINGS. And it comes from the MOTHER of all peas; Chickpeas. If you are not familiar with chickpeas then you won't understand. Chickpeas fueled the connecting of the world through the Roman Army. It was a very important commodity - WAIT! It was the MOST important commondity, besides water, to ancient man.

It's a shame to waste such top-drawer material here. You should self-publish. Regardless whether this is ingenious trollery or completely wrongheaded sincerity, it deserves a larger audience.


I suspect that when Falasha finishes his book, he should contact Dr. Poonai's publisher. ;-)
Dan_ad_nauseam
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 5:25 am

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest