Manna

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Manna

Postby Delodephius » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:43 pm

I'm a poor village boy in Eastern Europe. I spend most of my time studying languages and philosophy from smuggled or stolen books because I can't afford them. Happy now? I'm not kidding.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby falasha » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:56 pm

Delodephius wrote:I'm a poor village boy in Eastern Europe. I spend most of my time studying languages and philosophy from smuggled or stolen books because I can't afford them. Happy now? I'm not kidding.

If you are a poor village boy how did you become so supercilious?
falasha

Postby Delodephius » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:59 pm

I took classes. :P
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby linguoboy » Thu 08 Jul 2010 7:52 pm

falasha wrote:I realize linguists worry more about the words and not the symbols they represent. However, if they were to consider the symbology behind the words perhaps they would have figured out long ago that dove dung was chick peas.

This seems like an excellent argument in favour of not considering symbology--at least not when it contradicts basic known scientific facts. If you think that dove dung and chickpeas are the same thing, then don't ever invite me to dinner at your house!

falasha wrote:I have seen this many times. A person with an expensive education paid by daddy.

It doesn't matter who pays for an education, only that you acquire one. All Delo is saying is that yours needs a lot more work. He's not wrong.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 12:23 am

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:I realize linguists worry more about the words and not the symbols they represent. However, if they were to consider the symbology behind the words perhaps they would have figured out long ago that dove dung was chick peas.

This seems like an excellent argument in favour of not considering symbology--at least not when it contradicts basic known scientific facts. If you think that dove dung and chickpeas are the same thing, then don't ever invite me to dinner at your house!

Have you ever heard of transliteration, Linguoboy? Turtle Dove (chick) Dung (Pee).
falasha

Postby dtp883 » Fri 09 Jul 2010 2:12 am

Chickpeas have the scientific classification Cicer Arietinum and are of the Plantae kingdom. Scientist don't classify dung with species names. They are plants, not bird excrements. They are also commonly known in English as garbanzo beans. Cite.

Haha transliteration is when you write words or letters in a different alphabet than the original language. What you are thinking of is like substitution, replacing (a) word(s) with a similar one.

Example. דבר > daber is transliteration. Daber > speak is a translation. Speak > talk is a substitution.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby linguoboy » Fri 09 Jul 2010 3:10 am

falasha wrote:Have you ever heard of transliteration, Linguoboy?

Yeah, I think we covered that when I got my degree in linguistics. ("Daddy" didn't pay for it, by the way. I mention that because it seems to matter greatly to you.)

falasha wrote:Turtle Dove (chick) Dung (Pee).

If you can't tell dung from pee, you must have some interesting conversations with your gynecologist!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 5:22 am

dtp883 wrote:Chickpeas have the scientific classification Cicer Arietinum and are of the Plantae kingdom. Scientist don't classify dung with species names. They are plants, not bird excrements. They are also commonly known in English as garbanzo beans. Cite.

Haha transliteration is when you write words or letters in a different alphabet than the original language. What you are thinking of is like substitution, replacing (a) word(s) with a similar one.

Example. דבר > daber is transliteration. Daber > speak is a translation. Speak > talk is a substitution.

After investigating this it turns out nobody knows where this word comes from. They are just guessing. Cicer comes from Krios/Crius God of Sky, son of Oannes (Yonah). Peas comes from Peas (plural peasen) which comes from pisis/pisus etc. PISS.
falasha

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 5:25 am

linguoboy wrote:
falasha wrote:Have you ever heard of transliteration, Linguoboy?

Yeah, I think we covered that when I got my degree in linguistics. ("Daddy" didn't pay for it, by the way. I mention that because it seems to matter greatly to you.)

falasha wrote:Turtle Dove (chick) Dung (Pee).

If you can't tell dung from pee, you must have some interesting conversations with your gynecologist!

Sexist comments should be reported. I don't know how well this forum is moderated. We shall see.
falasha

Postby dtp883 » Fri 09 Jul 2010 5:56 am

I don't think you understand. It doesn't matter where the word chickpea comes from they are plants NOT bird dung.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages