City of Scribes

The place to discuss extinct languages.

City of Scribes

Postby falasha » Thu 08 Jul 2010 6:38 am

Debir was excavated by F.W. Albright before 1943. It was a town that has a mythic tradition of being the place where god gave writing to man. When reading the dig summary, it was evident that the archaeologists hoped to find clay tablets but it was not to be. There were two deep artisan wells found that still contained fresh water. As a matter of fact, the excavators used these wells as their water source thoughout the dig season. The upper well had much evidence of human habitation. There were grooves cut into the rock face from ropes drawing water thoughout the millenium. The archaeologists were amazed at the antiquity of these wells (gallot).

It is not hard to imagine when the water table of the Jordan Valley was much higher. The artisan water source is also under the North African plate but has never been exploited like it has in the Jordan Valley. IMO that is because of the rocky outcroppings that allow access to the artisan water. Many such Gallot line the Great Rift Valley up to the Dead Sea and were useful for the Salt traders that used this way for commerce. The great god that provided water from the deep wells was called "Ap". Like the sound a pebble makes when you drop it into a well. Ap was the spirit and GL were the great megaliths that allowed access to the underworld below. The Apgal was first half man half god and had creative powers of his own. He gave men arts, science, writing and language. The Apgal was formed from the Apsu - a deep artisan well that was the source of all water on earth. If the Apsu is the well at Debir then this city is also known as Eridu.

To be continued...

When Joshua gave this city to the Levites, it was renamed "Debir".
falasha

Re: City of Scribes

Postby Caenwyr » Thu 08 Jul 2010 10:43 am

I believe you're talking about "artesian wells", and not *artisan wells?
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby falasha » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:17 pm

Caenwyr wrote:I believe you're talking about "artesian wells", and not *artisan wells?

Yes, I do.
falasha

Postby falasha » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:50 pm

The City of Scribes was renamed Debir by Joshua. It had been known to them as Kirjath Sepher and was the cultic center for the clan of Anak. Close by was Gilgal, the place commemorated by Joshua with words carved on a circle of standing stones. GLGL (circle of standing stones) served as a covenant between man and god. The Ap (deep well) GL (stone surrounding well) was the spirit of the of the Jordan valley people. The impetus for this migration was Salem (salt) that was traded for Mn. The GL evolved into galyon - words of God incised into wet mud with stylus and then baked or dried.

Paul said Jesus was a Priest of the Order (DBR) of Mechelzedek who was King of the Salt economy. The cultic center of Mechelzedek was Kirjath Sepher - Salt trading requires much record keeping. Writing was an economic necessity because salt was traded for Mn and Mn was traded for goods and services. Mechelzedek was a priest/king of writing as well as salt because one could not be exploited without the other. Jesus was a priest/king of writing. He wrote God's words on Galyon but whose spirit was not from the Ap (deep well). The spirit of God Jesus wrote about was from the Ein (Living Water or spring). The words of Jesus were Living water inspired by god and written on mud brick with stylus. En Gelyon (Evanggelion).
falasha

Postby falasha » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:54 pm

The Apsu spirit that gave water to men through the primordial network that connects all water, could be the Apis. When Joshua changed the name of the City of Scribes to Debir, this could be the origination of the Greek word for "Bee".
falasha

Postby Delodephius » Thu 08 Jul 2010 5:04 pm

Ok, let me ask politely then. What is the point of all this? If you would be so kind to elaborate.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 12:16 am

Delodephius wrote:Ok, let me ask politely then. What is the point of all this? If you would be so kind to elaborate.

For one thing, each tribal unit has the name of their diety embedded in their clan symbol. Two tribal units overlapping will have a combination of clan symbols. Before a clan can have a tribal symbol, they must have a belief in supernatural being that directs economic benefits. If anyone is interested in discovering the origin of language then discussing the tribal units belief system and associated symbology is a good place to start. If you don't want to read about this or are uninterested in this subject, then don't read my posts.
falasha

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Fri 09 Jul 2010 3:24 am

falasha wrote:
Delodephius wrote:Ok, let me ask politely then. What is the point of all this? If you would be so kind to elaborate.

For one thing, each tribal unit has the name of their diety embedded in their clan symbol. Two tribal units overlapping will have a combination of clan symbols. Before a clan can have a tribal symbol, they must have a belief in supernatural being that directs economic benefits. If anyone is interested in discovering the origin of language then discussing the tribal units belief system and associated symbology is a good place to start. If you don't want to read about this or are uninterested in this subject, then don't read my posts.

I think you mean "deity.' If you're talking about a diety, we're back to chick peas. ;-)

Also, I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how language works. Vocabulary tends not to develop through symbolism so much as convention, which can include metaphor. Also, tribal emblems don't require a supernatural being; heraldry, for example, developed out of the need for identification on the battlefield.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby falasha » Fri 09 Jul 2010 5:32 am

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:
falasha wrote:

I think you mean "deity.' If you're talking about a diety, we're back to chick peas. ;-)

Also, I think you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how language works. Vocabulary tends not to develop through symbolism so much as convention, which can include metaphor. Also, tribal emblems don't require a supernatural being; heraldry, for example, developed out of the need for identification on the battlefield.

Actually, it is you that has the fundamental misunderstanding of how language works. Vocabulary develops through symbolism. The Knights who say NEE have their symbol of NEE to show their allegiance to their Lord NEE. Their economy depends on pleasing Lord NEE and so they wear his crest on their shield.
falasha

Postby linguoboy » Fri 09 Jul 2010 3:20 pm

falasha wrote:Actually, it is you that has the fundamental misunderstanding of how language works. Vocabulary develops through symbolism. The Knights who say NEE have their symbol of NEE to show their allegiance to their Lord NEE. Their economy depends on pleasing Lord NEE and so they wear his crest on their shield.

Very well played! I'm very experienced at spotting trolls, but even I was taken in by your netkook act. Now I see you were just taking the piss (the PISS? the pee/pea?) all along!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Next

Return to Extinct languages