Old Norse (Norrœnt)

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Old Norse (Norrœnt)

Postby Sean of the Dead » Mon 04 May 2009 2:32 am

Anyone interested in learning this awesome language?

I like it a lot more than Icelandic, and there are a lot more resources for it than Icelandic, and with Norwegian being my favorite language, I want to know what it used to be like, and everyone knows the vikings (which spoke it) are super awesome. 8-)

If anyone wants, I can link to everything I have for it. Also, there's vast online dictionaries and reading material, so you can become fluent in it for free if you want to. ;)
Sean of the Dead

Re: Old Norse (Norrœnt)

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 04 May 2009 2:37 am

I've been studying it a bit, because I'm making the Scandinavian conlang. I need to have a good idea of how Old Norse works, so that I can apply the necessary changes to get a realistic language.

I'm also learning some Inuit and Micmac. :)
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Sean of the Dead » Mon 04 May 2009 2:46 am

You already said that on Unilang. :P
Sean of the Dead

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 04 May 2009 4:40 am

Sean of the Dead wrote:You already said that on Unilang. :P

Mjass, I can't believe it...I'm getting my posts mixed up...
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby dtp883 » Mon 04 May 2009 6:47 am

Is Old Norse extinct? It sounds like it's extinct. It's kind of weird if there are more material for Old Norse than Icelandic considering the former is the dead language and the latter is the living language.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby ILuvEire » Mon 04 May 2009 5:58 pm

dtp883 wrote:Is Old Norse extinct? It sounds like it's extinct. It's kind of weird if there are more material for Old Norse than Icelandic considering the former is the dead language and the latter is the living language.

Old Norse is extinct, like Latin. It didn't die off (like, say Manx or Cornish) however it evolved into Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Faroese, and Icelandic.
ILuvEire

Postby rickardspaghetti » Mon 04 May 2009 8:42 pm

Woohoo! Svenska! :P
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby linguoboy » Mon 04 May 2009 9:04 pm

dtp883 wrote:Is Old Norse extinct? It sounds like it's extinct. It's kind of weird if there are more material for Old Norse than Icelandic considering the former is the dead language and the latter is the living language.

Consider how much material there is for Latin compared to lesser-known Romance languages such as Romansh, Sardinian, or even Catalan (which has twenty times the number of active speakers as Icelandic). Rumanian has over twenty million speakers and is the sole official language of an EU country, yet it's harder to find works on Rumanian than on Latin in every single EU language but Rumanian!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue 05 May 2009 2:30 am

Yep, exactly the case. ;)

I think it's because universities and whatnot are teach it more, thus the more need for resources, and because of all the sagas that were written in it.
Sean of the Dead

Postby Stosis » Tue 05 May 2009 3:05 am

I'd love to learn Old Norse but unfortunately it'll have to wait, for now.
Stosis

Next

Return to Extinct languages