Atükan

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Atükan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 14 Jun 2010 4:14 am

Huixuan wrote:
But you do. Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here is obligated to comment on anyone's else's posts.
I never said anyone was obligated, I was just saying, I'm disappointed to see 40+ posts on something against the author's will, when they could be doing something better with their lives.

What makes commenting on your language inherently better than discussing pronunciation? This is what I mean about a degree of entitlement that I find frankly incredible. You're really in no position at all to judge what the best use of my (or anyone else's) time is.

Huixuan wrote:
I didn't take a closer look at Gurcaj because I'm not interested in auxlangs, and that's my prerogative.
Kind of a rude way to look at things, judging book's by its cover. Obviously you haven't read the article because a lot of the stuff I covered is more unconventional than normal auxlangs that are just ripoffs of Latin. I don't care whether you read it or not, I just don't think that was a nice way to put it.

Again, it's only rude if you feel entitled. If someone said, "Hey, why is no one discussing the video I posted of our soccer team playing?" would it be rude of you to say "I didn't look at it because I'm not interested in soccer"? [Substitute any other leisure time activity for "soccer" if it makes the analogy easier for you to grasp.] What makes it different when a type of conlang is involved instead of a particular sports activity?

Actually, I did look at Gurcaj after you complained and, frankly, I find your choices confusing. If it's meant to be an auxlang, then why did you choose phonemes that are difficult for most people in the world to pronounce, such as [θ], [h̪͆] (actually had to look that one up, since the diacritic belongs to Extended IPA), and [x]? That just strikes me as perverse.

Huixuan wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a learning environment, not a chance for self-made "elites" to pick on "newbies."

Who's getting "picked on"? People asked XshadowX some questions in order to better understand his conlang. He misread them as criticism and got huffy. It was an unreasonable reaction to a reasonable show of interest.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » Mon 14 Jun 2010 4:28 am

Cthulhu wrote:Christ on a Stick. Let's stop bickering and use this thread for the language it was made for. If you want to bicker, make a bickering thread in general chat.

Who's "bickering"? I think this is an important discussion to have, given that every other month another newbie posts a fresh conlang and then gets upset when people don't exactly fall over themselves to praise it. XshadowX has already said he wants to start over. Better to rename this thread to reflect what the discussion is actually about now and let him create a new thread for Atükan. (Or possibly two if he feels strongly about keeping the tutorial and the discussion separated.)

XshadowX wrote:Leaving the topic. All I wanted to do was to teach a developing language. But it ended up as an argument over nothing. Yeah, you've been making con-langs for 25 years linguoboy. I can't do that if I am only 13. Ok?

Um...okay? I don't understand why you're getting do defensive. As a 13 year-old, you're a newbie when it comes to most things. What sense does it make to get upset when someone makes reference to this fact? It doesn't make you a lesser human being or something. It would be like me getting upset because someone points out that I'm American or I have a college degree or whatever.

XshadowX wrote:I hate being criticized. That is why I get mad easily. I am as well very stubborn. I can post tutorials just fine, but when I get 50,000 questions that turned into an argument is when I will say enough.

As I said, you've got a choice. If being criticised really bothers you so much, don't post. Create the conlangs you want to create to satisfy yourself and don't show them to anyone ever. If, on the other hand, you do want to share them with others, well then, learn to accept feedback--even when it seems negative. But don't do what you've been doing so far, which is to show your work to others and then get angry when they say things you'd rather not hear.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby kaenif » Mon 14 Jun 2010 8:14 am

XshadowX wrote: Trust me. If I could, I would learn IPA. I can't find a single tutorial on IPA that I can understand. Do you know of one?

You don't need one when you start. You listen.
Then, Here comes wiki. Consonants, vowels.

Click links. Listen. Everyone can do that.
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby XshadowX » Fri 08 Oct 2010 4:02 am

I know I said I wouldn't post on this topic anymore. But could I please just start over on my tutorial? I'm sorry about any of the fighting I caused and my rudeness. I'll try my best to answer your questions though.
Native Language: English
Learning: Esperanto
Interested in: European languages, russian
XshadowX

Postby Kloiten » Sat 09 Oct 2010 7:12 am

Haha, nobody is stopping you. And remember, we are always on your side. At least, I am.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby XshadowX » Sat 09 Oct 2010 1:01 pm

Okay. Well I will start a new topic later cause there's no need to restart a tutorial in this topic.
Native Language: English
Learning: Esperanto
Interested in: European languages, russian
XshadowX

Previous

Return to Conlangery