Atükan

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Atükan

Postby Kloiten » Sun 13 Jun 2010 5:47 am

Wow. Some people can be completely unreasonable. If you wanted help, you came to the right place. But only if you listen properly.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby linguoboy » Sun 13 Jun 2010 3:35 pm

XshadowX wrote:did you just call me a freakin' newbie? i have been working on con-langs for the past year.

I came up with my first conlang more than 25 years ago. From my perspective, yes, you are a newbie. Even from a more general perspective, I think most people would call someone who had only been a year at any hobby (e.g. swimming, model-building, tap dancing, etc.) a "newbie". It's not an insult, it's just a statement of fact.

XshadowX wrote:i ain't demanding anything.

Yes, you are; you're demanding we stop talking about the pronunciation.

XshadowX wrote:i want to be able to post without discouraging replies or annoyance.

Then get your own website and disable comments. You're posting to a public forum on the Internet. Some of the replies you get will discourage or annoy you. Learn to deal with it.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Huixuan » Sun 13 Jun 2010 11:49 pm

But you do. Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here is obligated to comment on anyone's else's posts.
I never said anyone was obligated, I was just saying, I'm disappointed to see 40+ posts on something against the author's will, when they could be doing something better with their lives.
I didn't take a closer look at Gurcaj because I'm not interested in auxlangs, and that's my prerogative.
Kind of a rude way to look at things, judging book's by its cover. Obviously you haven't read the article because a lot of the stuff I covered is more unconventional than normal auxlangs that are just ripoffs of Latin. I don't care whether you read it or not, I just don't think that was a nice way to put it.
The degree of entitlement on display in this forum really impresses me. Where do newbie conlangers get the idea that they can demand people comment upon certain languages, and only on certain aspects of those languages?
I thought this was supposed to be a learning environment, not a chance for self-made "elites" to pick on "newbies."
Huixuan

Postby Remd » Mon 14 Jun 2010 12:07 am

I don't think that talking about pronunciation is like picking on anyone, it's just a chance to learn about an important aspect of languages (constructed or not). Anyway, as someone said, noone is obliged to post a conlang if s/he doesn't want it to be criticized.
Remd

Postby dtp883 » Mon 14 Jun 2010 12:11 am

[quote="XshadowX]i want to be able to post without discouraging replies or annoyance.[/quote]
No one's posts have been inherently discouraging. Many are encouraging you to learn IPA which would help us understand your language better, as pronunciation is one of the largest foundations of a language, enabling them to leave more constructive comments.

The reason we want you to learn this is because the letter a can be pronounced [ɑ], [ɒ], [æ], and [ə]. Or, as for me, certain sounds can be merged: [ɔ] and [ɑ] are both [ɑ] to me. No one is trying to be mean. IPA is nearly a standard for conlangs on this board. We are trying to help you, help us, help you.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Kloiten » Mon 14 Jun 2010 1:00 am

Huixuan wrote:
But you do. Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here is obligated to comment on anyone's else's posts.
I never said anyone was obligated, I was just saying, I'm disappointed to see 40+ posts on something against the author's will, when they could be doing something better with their lives.

Well, what are you exactly accomplishing?

Huixuan wrote:
I didn't take a closer look at Gurcaj because I'm not interested in auxlangs, and that's my prerogative.
Kind of a rude way to look at things, judging book's by its cover. Obviously you haven't read the article because a lot of the stuff I covered is more unconventional than normal auxlangs that are just ripoffs of Latin. I don't care whether you read it or not, I just don't think that was a nice way to put it.

Nobody is obliged to read about your language. If I don't like fish, must I try sushi for the first time because I "have" to? I don't get what's confusing about preferences.

Huixuan wrote:
The degree of entitlement on display in this forum really impresses me. Where do newbie conlangers get the idea that they can demand people comment upon certain languages, and only on certain aspects of those languages?
I thought this was supposed to be a learning environment, not a chance for self-made "elites" to pick on "newbies."
First of all, nobody is an elite here. Linguoboy indeed has more experience here than many, but that doesn't make him elite. Second, even if someone is self-proclaimed, I don't see the reason to be bothered by it. Finally, if you don't like it, you always have the option to leave. Nobody's keeping you here.
Kloiten

Postby Cthulhu » Mon 14 Jun 2010 1:48 am

Christ on a Stick. Let's stop bickering and use this thread for the language it was made for. If you want to bicker, make a bickering thread in general chat.
Native: English (US)
Fluent: Français
Learning: русский язык
Hope to learn: Magyar, Tatar

Conlang projects: Aħkvm, upcoming unnamed project.
Cthulhu

Postby Kloiten » Mon 14 Jun 2010 2:10 am

Christ on a stick? What a humorous reference.
Anyway, a voice of reason! I'm outta here in any case.
Kloiten

Postby XshadowX » Mon 14 Jun 2010 3:16 am

Leaving the topic. All I wanted to do was to teach a developing language. But it ended up as an argument over nothing. Yeah, you've been making con-langs for 25 years linguoboy. I can't do that if I am only 13. Ok? I hate being criticized. That is why I get mad easily. I am as well very stubborn. I can post tutorials just fine, but when I get 50,000 questions that turned into an argument is when I will say enough.

EDIT:
XshadowX wrote:i want to be able to post without discouraging replies or annoyance.

No one's posts have been inherently discouraging. Many are encouraging you to learn IPA which would help us understand your language better, as pronunciation is one of the largest foundations of a language, enabling them to leave more constructive comments.

The reason we want you to learn this is because the letter a can be pronounced [ɑ], [ɒ], [æ], and [ə]. Or, as for me, certain sounds can be merged: [ɔ] and [ɑ] are both [ɑ] to me. No one is trying to be mean. IPA is nearly a standard for conlangs on this board. We are trying to help you, help us, help you.
Trust me. If I could, I would learn IPA. I can't find a single tutorial on IPA that I can understand. Do you know of one?
Native Language: English
Learning: Esperanto
Interested in: European languages, russian
XshadowX

Postby Kloiten » Mon 14 Jun 2010 3:29 am

XshadowX wrote: I hate being criticized. That is why I get mad easily. I am as well very stubborn.

Criticism only helps. Even when you think it's stupid, it always has a grain of truth in it. Use that grain.

XshadowX wrote:Trust me. If I could, I would learn IPA. I can't find a single tutorial on IPA that I can understand. Do you know of one?
If you had actually wanted to, you would have had no problems. However, before you outright stubbornly refused to learn IPA because you wanted the easy way out. Hey, buddy, wanna know something? Life ain't easy. Learn to use the things that make it less of an ass.
Kloiten

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery