Atükan

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Atükan

Postby linguoboy » Sat 12 Jun 2010 6:59 pm

XshadowX wrote:No. what I mean is is that the language itself is different from the way I acctually speak.

But it's impossible for you to communicate exactly how it differs if you describe its sounds only in terms of an English-based pronunciation key. (Since English words have to be pronounced according to some particular English dialect or another.) That's why everyone's been urging you to adopt a standardised means of description, such as IPA.

Perhaps you could describe some other aspects of the language for the time being. We can come back to the pronunciation later after you've had more time to learn about phonetics.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby XshadowX » Sat 12 Jun 2010 7:30 pm

No. I REFUSE to learn IPA. All I wanted to do was create a tutorial for the language. But now it is an argument over phonetics. Might as well just stop the tutorial.

EDIT: I can develop the language however I want to. What if is just a written language and never spoken? Why do you all care so much?
Native Language: English
Learning: Esperanto
Interested in: European languages, russian
XshadowX

Postby linguoboy » Sat 12 Jun 2010 8:10 pm

XshadowX wrote:No. I REFUSE to learn IPA. All I wanted to do was create a tutorial for the language. But now it is an argument over phonetics. Might as well just stop the tutorial.

Suit yourself. But what I'm advocating is that you forget about phonetics for the time being so you can continue the tutorial. Is there a problem with that?

XshadowX wrote:EDIT: I can develop the language however I want to. What if is just a written language and never spoken? Why do you all care so much?

Don't you want people to care about your language? If not, then why are you posting here? You don't need the input of forum members to develop your language; you can do it completely on your own. Yet you posted about it here. Why? What is it you hope to get out of this topic thread?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby XshadowX » Sat 12 Jun 2010 8:32 pm

linguoboy wrote:
XshadowX wrote:No. I REFUSE to learn IPA. All I wanted to do was create a tutorial for the language. But now it is an argument over phonetics. Might as well just stop the tutorial.

Suit yourself. But what I'm advocating is that you forget about phonetics for the time being so you can continue the tutorial. Is there a problem with that?

XshadowX wrote:EDIT: I can develop the language however I want to. What if is just a written language and never spoken? Why do you all care so much?

Don't you want people to care about your language? If not, then why are you posting here? You don't need the input of forum members to develop your language; you can do it completely on your own. Yet you posted about it here. Why? What is it you hope to get out of this topic thread?

Yes I do. But y'all are caring way too much in my point of view.
XshadowX

Postby linguoboy » Sat 12 Jun 2010 8:56 pm

XshadowX wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Yes I do. But y'all are caring way too much in my point of view.

You didn't answer the rest of the question. What would "caring the right amount" look like to you? What is the image you have in your head of what our reaction should be?
linguoboy

Postby XshadowX » Sat 12 Jun 2010 9:05 pm

do I care if I finish the questions? no.
just forget it. i ain't going to say anything about the prounciation of the alphabet or IPA cause I ain't gonna care. right now I woud like to start the topic over cause to me it is full of only two things that acctually deal with words and grammar. So far it is all about pronunciation.

EDIT: This topic is like the one I made on Zymic Hosting Forums for reviews. Everyone complains about one thing and one thing only. No matter what I do. I'm getting tired of people only sticking to one thing they are talking about. Pronunciation for instance. Everyone that has posted on here is talking about it. It has been going on for 5 pages. To me, that is ridiculous. The problem about all this is that the lesson posts are getting seperated from each other. Alphabets first and the pronouns ended up being on the second or third page. Just because everyone has something to say about pronunciation.

EDIT 2: I am done with the pronunciation conversation. If you have questions on how to pronounce something, just go to the first page and look at the alphabet.
XshadowX

Postby Huixuan » Sat 12 Jun 2010 11:01 pm

Why do we care so bad about this kind of stuff? Not trying to sound selfish, but I mean I have a language I'm waiting for reviews for and we're sitting here bickering over something that doesn't even matter.
Huixuan

Postby XshadowX » Sat 12 Jun 2010 11:08 pm

Huixuan wrote:Why do we care so bad about this kind of stuff? Not trying to sound selfish, but I mean I have a language I'm waiting for reviews for and we're sitting here bickering over something that doesn't even matter.

I agree.
XshadowX

Postby linguoboy » Sun 13 Jun 2010 2:06 am

XshadowX wrote:do I care if I finish the questions? no.

The question is about what you want. If you can't tell us what that is, then you can't complain when you don't get it, can you?

Xshadow wrote:i ain't going to say anything about the prounciation of the alphabet or IPA cause I ain't gonna care. right now I woud like to start the topic over cause to me it is full of only two things that acctually deal with words and grammar. So far it is all about pronunciation.

No one is asking you about pronunciation any more. Twice already I've said, "Forget about the pronunciation for now, tell us about the grammar." Consider this a third time. (There won't be a fourth because I've already spent what I consider a ridiculous amount of time just trying to coax you to be reasonable.)

Huixuan wrote:Not trying to sound selfish

But you do. Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here is obligated to comment on anyone's else's posts. I didn't take a closer look at Gurcaj because I'm not interested in auxlangs, and that's my prerogative.

The degree of entitlement on display in this forum really impresses me. Where do newbie conlangers get the idea that they can demand people comment upon certain languages, and only on certain aspects of those languages?
linguoboy

Postby XshadowX » Sun 13 Jun 2010 5:23 am

linguoboy wrote:
XshadowX wrote:do I care if I finish the questions? no.

The question is about what you want. If you can't tell us what that is, then you can't complain when you don't get it, can you?

Xshadow wrote:i ain't going to say anything about the prounciation of the alphabet or IPA cause I ain't gonna care. right now I woud like to start the topic over cause to me it is full of only two things that acctually deal with words and grammar. So far it is all about pronunciation.

No one is asking you about pronunciation any more. Twice already I've said, "Forget about the pronunciation for now, tell us about the grammar." Consider this a third time. (There won't be a fourth because I've already spent what I consider a ridiculous amount of time just trying to coax you to be reasonable.)

Huixuan wrote:Not trying to sound selfish

But you do. Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here is obligated to comment on anyone's else's posts. I didn't take a closer look at Gurcaj because I'm not interested in auxlangs, and that's my prerogative.

The degree of entitlement on display in this forum really impresses me. Where do newbie conlangers get the idea that they can demand people comment upon certain languages, and only on certain aspects of those languages?

did you just call me a freakin' newbie? i have been working on con-langs for the past year. i ain't demanding anything. i'm done. i am done with posting stuff for reviews or some tutorial. i want to be able to post without discouraging replies or annoyance. i will continue the tutorial if this topic can be restarted.
XshadowX

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery