Sophocracy

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

Sophocracy

Postby Delodephius » Wed 26 May 2010 6:31 pm

The word Sophocracy, from Greek Σοφοκρατία:

σοφός (sophos) = sage, wise man
κράτος (kratos) = rule

Basically the rule of the wise men/sages (opposite of Democracy, the rule of people).

I need this word translated into Chinese, Sanskrit and Pali. I searched endlessly, but I just don't know how to translate it with certainty.

For Chinese I came up with 聖哲統治: 聖哲 = sage, 統治 = to rule.
For Pali: munipabhutta (based on democracy = pajāpabhutta, except muni = sage, wise man)
For Sanskrit: munitantra (based on democracy = prajātantra)
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Re: Sophocracy

Postby linguoboy » Thu 27 May 2010 7:52 pm

Delodephius wrote:For Chinese I came up with 聖哲統治: 聖哲 = sage, 統治 = to rule.

政治 strikes me as a better choice than 統治. Cf. 老人政治 "gerontocracy", 寡頭政治 "oligarchy", etc. 哲人政治 gets a significant number of Ghits, many of them in conjunction with 柏拉圖 (Plato), so I assume this is a conventional translation of "sophrocracy".

Can't help with the South Asian terms.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: Sophocracy

Postby Delodephius » Thu 27 May 2010 10:26 pm

Well Plato used the term Noocracy, which means "the rule of the mind" i.e. "rule of the intellectuals". This is different from Sophocracy which is not a rule of mere intellectual people but actual sages. Noocracy in Plato's words would be the rule of the philosophers (those who love/search for wisdom) while Sophocracy is the rule of the sages (people who have wisdom, are wise).
So maybe 聖哲人政治 then?
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Return to Translation requests