Words for epilepsy

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Words for epilepsy

Postby Gesithan » Fri 21 May 2010 2:59 pm

Actually, now that you mention it, we say something along the lines of [kriʌk]. And we go either way with "route". Though I wonder, is it a bad thing that if someone gave me those directions, I could actually follow them? Not that I would need directions though, because I obviously just gave YOU directions.
Gesithan

Postby Kloiten » Sat 22 May 2010 3:26 am

Why does the Pacific Northwest variant of English have no blatantly distinctive features to transcribe? So unexciting... Aside from the total replacement of /t/ with glottal stops at the end of the word, of course. Although, that can't be just specific to here...

As for the actual topic, a lot of languages use the idea of falling down to convey the concept of epilepsy. It's actually a really interesting topic you've brought up; I haven't thought about the concept of diseases in my languages all that much. If I were to translate it into my languages, I think it would be purimuyhoco (demon-disease) in Kaynur Pitak (spoken by highly spiritual people) and ca juizajir (fall-sickness) in Reluáz (spoken by practical and scientific people).
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Tikolm » Sun 27 May 2012 9:01 pm

Okay, I know nobody is interested in this anymore, but I thought I'd let you all know that I've come up with the words I was looking for. The word for epilepsy is "tuq-siol" (the o is long but my character palette isn't working :roll: ) meaning "fall-disease". Seizure is "tuq" (fall) but there isn't a distinction between "fall-seizure", "fall" and whatever other meanings it might have so you're just left guessing. Fortunately, the Tikolmians don't have much cause to discuss epilepsy et al. so "tuq" usually just means "fall".
Some backstory: The original Tikolmian family is now in perfect health, to the best of my knowledge. The reasons for this? For one, I've tried very hard to get rid of epilepsy in the story but never quite succeeded, so it's moved on to somebody else. For another, the Tikolmians just generally tend to be healthy, because their diet and lifestyle is pretty decent and they've succeeded in doing something commonly known as "pleasing the gods".
Here's the story behind that last one. In my conworld, there are at least four dimensions and the fourth-dimensional creatures had it in mind to create third-dimensional ones. Specifically, a certain cat did. Now she tried a bunch of times to create something decent in the way of life, and it often didn't work out the way she intended so she spent a lot of time trying to fix things. Earth is one of her failed attempts at this point, sitting in the wastebasket known as the solar system, but she tried to fix Earth too. By the time people had evolved on Earth, they had started to do things the cat didn't like. She may have spent some time telling them what to do, but because that didn't work she enlisted the help of her rabbit friend. This is where it starts getting really weird. This rabbit took on the role currently known as epilepsy. As you can see, this didn't do a whole lot of good, so the cat got her crab friend to help. The crab went out and took on the role of cancer. This didn't help much either, so the cat decided to give up on Earth and we made it into the solar system.
That didn't explain much, did it? Here's the important part. There's something called "the story of Flora and Aryllyn" that has an explanation in it. I'll try to summarize it here. Basically, there was an island called Cryptia at some point BC (or maybe AD). There were two girls on it, two good friends, called Flora and Aryllyn. Aryllyn did something as yet unspecified, and the cat-creator realized this was going on and didn't like it. Flora told the cat, Arlyn, the truth, but Aryllyn said that Flora had done it. Arlyn believed Flora. It was somewhere around now that Arlyn got the rabbit to go scare everybody, and I think Arlyn told her to "attack" whoever had really done whatever terrible thing it was. This never actually happened because the rabbit couldn't figure it out and didn't want to. I haven't got this totally worked out, but it's one of those Bible-type stories on the order of "your descendants will be known as people X and they will all be like Y". Don't ask me how this all works out. Of course everyone's really busy right now, but when you all come back you will see my weird thread at the top of this forum.
Bye for now.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Sun 27 May 2012 9:21 pm

Tikolm wrote:snip
I have speculated that these words come from an old and outdated idea that the person/animal having a seizure was being seized by some sort of evil spirit.
snip

In case nobody puts two and two together, this idea has been fully incorporated into my backstory. Not exactly like this, because the "evil spirit" in question actually has good intentions, but you get the idea.
Now off to do something meaningful. :)
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Fri 01 Jun 2012 3:02 am

Okay, okay, nobody cares...but I have more to say, so bear with me. The words for epilepsy and seizure should actually be based on the word for rabbit (pisa). Seizure would have to be something like "rabbit-attack" but I don't have a word for attack right now. Epilepsy would technically just be "pisa". I realize there would be confusion with legitimate rabbits, though. It's always possible that the Tikolmians have given up on talking about it. Or maybe the angel/demon rabbit has some kind of a name. Whatever. I have to go to bed now.
Tikolm

Previous

Return to Conlangery