How do your languages express the following?...

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: How do your languages express the following?...

Postby dtp883 » Wed 19 May 2010 4:30 am

Huixuan, may I ask what you mean by native speaker since in your introduction you say that you grew up with Spanish so it comes naturally. This implies to me that you are not native just that you have an adept ability to learn/understand it. Which country do you live in?

Neqitan,
The second part is wrong. It should be:
...hasta que levantó el teléfono
...hasta que levantara el teléfono
not using "antes de + inf." / "antes de que + subj." (In your correction you'd have said "antes de levantar"/"antes de que levantara".)

Why would one use the subjunctive here? Also, the blue part, do you mean you wouldn't use that or you could? Thanks!
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Talib » Wed 19 May 2010 4:09 pm

For instance, I say "It needs corrected" instead of "It needs to be corrected" or "It needs correcting". Totally non-standard, but perfectly acceptable in certain spoken varieties.
"It needs corrected"? Something tells me that sentence needs correction.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Wed 19 May 2010 4:14 pm

Talib wrote:
For instance, I say "It needs corrected" instead of "It needs to be corrected" or "It needs correcting". Totally non-standard, but perfectly acceptable in certain spoken varieties.
"It needs corrected"? Something tells me that sentence needs correction.

Right, your intuition as a native speaker...of another dialect. This is exactly like, say, a common British English/American English difference such as in hospital/in the hospital except that the needs + past participle construction is more restricted in its distribution.

(If you're completely ignorant of this construction, then you can find links to articles on it here. It's found not only in Western Pennsylvania but in a narrow band of settlement to the west stretching at least as far as Iowa and in Scotland, where it is believed to have originated.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Wed 19 May 2010 5:10 pm

I've heard in hospital before. I've never heard needs corrected or any equivalent expression.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Wed 19 May 2010 6:04 pm

Talib wrote:I've heard in hospital before. I've never heard needs corrected or any equivalent expression.

As I said, this is a more restricted feature. I purposely chose a grammatical feature that wasn't widespread in order to make my point.

I can't figure out what your point is.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Huixuan » Wed 19 May 2010 9:31 pm

I live outside a Spanish-speaking country. I used to be fluent/native, but I lost some touch so now I go by the Spanish I learn in school. It was, in fact, my first languge, so sometimes I consider myself native, but almost never fluent (except around non-Spanish speakers :P). I can understand most stuff on most topics though, as long as you don't on bring descriptions of Slovenian glassblowing techniques or how to manufacture ceiling fans without using steel.
Huixuan

Postby Talib » Wed 19 May 2010 11:02 pm

I can't figure out what your point is.
That Pittburghers can't talk.

Seriously, Pittsburghese sounds infantile.
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Thu 20 May 2010 12:10 am

Talib wrote:Seriously, Pittsburghese sounds infantile.

Seriously, the only thing that sounds "infantile" here is the person saying, "Mommy, the funny man can't talk right!" Come back when you have a slightly more sophisticated attitude toward linguistic variation. Right now it's nap time.
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Thu 20 May 2010 12:14 am

Huixuan, I know quite a few people like this. One girl at my school spoke Arabic for the first ~4 years of her life but after starting school she forgot all of it. Since you say that you are going by what you learn in school, I'm not sure I understand your comment about a booklearner correcting a native speaker, since you are, ultimately, a book learner too.

Talib, it does seem odd, huh?
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Talib » Thu 20 May 2010 12:16 am

Come back when you have a slightly more sophisticated attitude toward linguistic variation.
So what's your opinion of Lower Saxon dialects?
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English