Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Serali » Thu 31 Dec 2009 11:17 pm

LOL! Good one VROOR!

Image
Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
User avatar
Serali
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun 28 Jun 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Sobekhotep » Thu 31 Dec 2009 11:18 pm

VROOR wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
VROOR wrote:a certain racial hatred

That's too bad. Why can't we all just get along?


Because Japan has invaded China during the World War II, the crimes commited by the Japanese Government upon the Chinese people are still unapologised (in fact, the Japanese Government still denies many solid accusations, such as the issue of "comfort women" of which the Japanese Government still claim those victims were willingly submitted into the service).


VROOR wrote:Because Japan has both invaded and occupied Korea in history and, during that occupational era, a lot of crimes were commited by the Japanese there.

You know, there's this great concept out there called forgiveness. Sure, that stuff happened, but it's all in the past now. Why does an average 20-something Japanese person have to be held accountable for something that happened before s/he was born? That would be like me hating all white people and western European nations because of their participation in the Atlantic slave trade. Or, what if I decided to hate Germany because of what some NAZIs did to my great-grandmother? But I don't hate them or anyone else. Those are things of the past and I'm over them.
Holding on to grudges is unhealthy.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby VROOR » Sat 02 Jan 2010 5:14 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
VROOR wrote:Because Japan has both invaded and occupied Korea in history and, during that occupational era, a lot of crimes were commited by the Japanese there.

You know, there's this great concept out there called forgiveness. Sure, that stuff happened, but it's all in the past now. Why does an average 20-something Japanese person have to be held accountable for something that happened before s/he was born? That would be like me hating all white people and western European nations because of their participation in the Atlantic slave trade. Or, what if I decided to hate Germany because of what some NAZIs did to my great-grandmother? But I don't hate them or anyone else. Those are things of the past and I'm over them.
Holding on to grudges is unhealthy.


Personally, I am not the one who has issues with the Japanese people. However, the fact of this racial hatred been addressed by me here is, its actual existence amongst many chinese people as well as its depth and intoxication. Note that, when I accuse of the war crimes, I accuse the Japanese Government, I did not (and do not, will not) accuse any individual who has nothing to do with these events (be they japanese or nay).

The only accusation I made against the Japanese Government is, their failure in apologising for those crimes as well as the denials of parts of those crimes. Beyond those, I am not as zeal as some of the more active zealots, who are usually being used by the politicians in one way or another.
Image
ImageImage
User avatar
VROOR
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2009 6:40 pm
Location: Taiwan (R.O.C)

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 03 Jan 2010 7:08 am

VROOR wrote:The only accusation I made against the Japanese Government is, their failure in apologising for those crimes as well as the denials of parts of those crimes.

OK. But, the current Japanese regime is not the same as the one that committed those atrocities back in WWII. Would their hypothetical apology really mean much?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby kaenif » Sun 03 Jan 2010 2:37 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
VROOR wrote:The only accusation I made against the Japanese Government is, their failure in apologising for those crimes as well as the denials of parts of those crimes.

OK. But, the current Japanese regime is not the same as the one that committed those atrocities back in WWII. Would their hypothetical apology really mean much?

I think the point is on the denial. Nanking Massacre becomes Nanking Incident, an unimportant footnote in their textbooks. :( (You can see the change in the textbooks here.)
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
User avatar
kaenif
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR, People's Republic of China

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Talib » Mon 04 Jan 2010 5:37 am

Sobekhotep wrote:OK. But, the current Japanese regime is not the same as the one that committed those atrocities back in WWII. Would their hypothetical apology really mean much?
I think it would have great symbolic meaning, given that the current Japanese regime infamously glosses over that part of their country's history.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 05 Jan 2010 1:21 am

kaenif wrote:I think the point is on the denial.

What denial? There have been various statements by Japanese leaders in 1972 and 1985 to China expressing remorse & apology. The Japanese government has acknowledged the crimes committed by the Imperial Japanese Army after the fall of Nanjing. Japanese Prime Minister Keizō Obuchi offered a verbal apology to Chinese President Jiang Zemin in 1998.
That doesn't sound like denial to me.

kaenif wrote:Nanking Massacre becomes Nanking Incident, an unimportant footnote in their textbooks. :( (You can see the change in the textbooks here.)

Which textbook are you referring to? The one from 1984 (over 25 years ago), the one from 1999 (over10 years ago) or the one that was used by only 16 schools in all of Japan in 2004?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
User avatar
Sobekhotep
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 4:53 am
Location: America's Dairyland

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby imbecilica » Wed 19 May 2010 5:07 am

I'm at university waiting for my Mandarin lecture. It is so boring that I managed to transcribe this song into Chữ Nôm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKOcaQ6FDI

Image
Image
Image
Image

Here is a ratjer quick translation by me into English:

A Silenced Love

When the sun fades at the end of the field
My heart feels as if it misses you
My love, when the heart has mistakenly loved someone
The lonely nights are when it (love) overflows
An abundance of news, my love!
Loving you my heart shall not fade
Our love I hope that forever more
My love, our one love shall not fade

The heart yearns to say that for the whole of this lifetime
It swears to forever love you completely and never change
Love is hard to describe, it abounds in wind and waves (ups and downs)
Who would have known that on the path of life there’d be so many changes?

What is love? What is life?
Why is it full of suffering
Love shall die, life shall fade
One chokes in sadness when the heart is full of bitterness

So many months and years shall forever go on
Our love is entering a plain of nothingness (void)
Why must loving you bring so many wrongs?
The love you give to me makes my heartbeat hasten
An abundance of news, oh my love!
Loving you my heart is intoxicated
Now though that the love is gone between the two of us
The words of parting are cold and withering

The characters I chose were to conform with a few of my friends who are doing their own standardising. I, however, still use my own variants (some of which make more sense) for some words.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:37 am

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby Serali » Wed 19 May 2010 10:46 am

Awesome!

I still cannot get over this it's incredible!

Image
Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
User avatar
Serali
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun 28 Jun 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby kaenif » Wed 19 May 2010 1:42 pm

The song is great =DDDDDD

Matching the radicals with the meaning is fun, but some strokes in the chars merged together, making the chars look weird.

Let's write the lyrics by hand XD It looks very nice
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
User avatar
kaenif
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:31 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR, People's Republic of China

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron