Yondae'eo 윤데어

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Yondae'eo 욘데어

Postby imbecilica » Wed 12 May 2010 3:45 pm

I am pleased to announce the revival of Yondae'eo - 욘대어 but with some very big changes. In addition to Hanzi and Hangeul, will be Katakana and Hiragana! Each of the 4 scripts has a different function which I'll briefly explain.

Hangeul (한글) - Hangeul is used to write native words and grammar particles. Chinese loanwords may also be written in Hangeul if confusion doesn't occur.

Hanzi (漢字) - Hanzi is only used to record Chinese loanwords. Most of these correspond with the Sino-Korean readings with some exceptions.

Hiragana (ひらがな) - Hiragana is used only to record various sounds such as onomatopoeic ones.

Katakana (カタカナ) - Katakana is only used to record foreign loanwords or to transcribe foreign names and places. As Japanese lacks a lot of Korean sounds, this alters the ability to transcribe foreign words and names quite a bit.

4 scripts is quite a lot but I like the combination, very bizarre indeed.
eg. 是라きき大那라가시.
[Shi'ra ki'ki dai na'ra'ga shi.]
This dog is bigger than that (dog).
*Note that the word dog (kiki) derives from onomatopoeia.

eg. 마마イヤ화견ベヂサ兩調はは사르다
[Ma'ma I'ya hwa gyeon Be'di'sa ryang'jo ha'ha sa'reu'da.]
Both mother Iya and child Bedisa laughed 'haha'.
or in the old orthography:
마마이야화견베디사량조하하사르다
(마마이야화견베디사兩調하하사르다.)
I was thinking of incorporating a fifth script, namely, Chữ Nôm (for certain Vietnamese loanwords) however most computers cannot read it without installing appropriate fonts.

I'll add more when I have time, including how to read the romanisation. STAY TUNED!
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Re: Yondae'eo 윤데어

Postby Serali » Wed 12 May 2010 11:22 pm

YAY!

This is wonderful.

Also do you still have the image of the old 윤데어 script? I'd like to have it as I don't have it anymore. Thanks! Looking splended so far.

Looking forward to more info!

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Thu 13 May 2010 3:02 am

@Serali; unfortunately no I don't have anything left of that old script nor would I be tempted to remake it as the current system works just fine. Also I made a typo in the typo as Kaenif mentioned along time ago. It should be 대어, 윤대어 would be rendered as Yundae'eo.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Thu 13 May 2010 4:05 am

Oh ok.

Thanks.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Tue 18 May 2010 5:46 am

Ok here we go! :mrgreen:

I'll start with the phonology. There are a total of 13 consonant symbols representing all up 15 different consonant sounds. There is also a 16th sound y /j/ represented by doubling the lines on the vowel symbol. ᄅ and ᄋ each have 2 pronunciations depending upon whether they are initials or finals. ᄅ is /ɾ/ as an initial and /l/ as a final. Similarly, ᄋ represents that a consonant is non-existant as an initial but /ŋ/ as a final.
/eg./ 아, 방 [-a, bang] and 로, 올 [ro, al].
/eg./ 아 [a], 야 [ya]

The following are the lists of the consonants and vowels in Yondae'eo. First is the symbol, followed by the Romanisation with the IPA listed last.

Consonants (보음)
ᄇ > b > /b/
ᄑ > p > /p/
ᄃ > d > /d/
ᄐ > t /t/
ᄌ > j > /dʑ/
ᄎ > ch > /tɕ/
ᄀ> g > /ɡ/
ᄏ > k > /k/
ᄒ > h > / ɦ/
ᄅ > r, l > /ɾ, l/*
ᄆ > m > /m/
ᄂ > n > /n/
ᄋ > -, ng > /-, ŋ/*

Vowels (욘음)
아 > a > /a/
애 > ae > /aj/
에 > e > /e/
이 > i > /i/
어 > eo > /ʌ/
오 > o > /o/
우 > u > /u/
으 > eu > /ɯ/

As mentioned above, by doubling the vowel symbol's lines, the sound /j/ is represented as such. Apart from Hangeul, Yondae'eo also makes use of at least one other script, ie. Hanzi. Chinese characters are simply to represent those such words (quite a few) that were loaned from Chinese. At this point I have revised the position for the two Kana scripts namely Hiragana and Katakana. As these two scripts do not contain all the sounds of Hangeul, they are now optional for the transliterations of foreign words and onomatopoeic sounds.

However, if a foreign word or onomatopoeic sound can be represented, then it is preferred to do so using the Kana scripts. If not, however, revert to Hangeul.

/eg./ Tick tock > 틱턱 > ちくちょく ... use the Hangeul as it is closer.
/eg./ Ha ha > 하하 > はは ... preferrably use Hiragana as it is existant.

I'll post the other two scripts later.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Gesithan » Tue 18 May 2010 4:16 pm

I have to ask though, what is the culture surrounding this language? Who speaks it? Anyway, kudos to you for bagging the Korean tense/lax voicing distinction amongst consonants, if I read correctly. That was my least favorite part about Korean. My thoughts: Not one, not two, but five scripts are used to write the language. Impossible to type with any speed, really. I mean, my language uses one script and I still cant get the letters together on the same keyboard. Not to mention the agony felt by small children required to learn four syllabaries and a logography, all at once. I mean, I can understand having a seperate script for important things or ceremony or you-name it, but five scripts for daily use seems ridiculous. And I honestly don't see the point to Hiragana and Katakana at all.
Gesithan

Postby imbecilica » Tue 18 May 2010 5:11 pm

오리와伴에同意! I agree with the fact that it is too many scripts so I'm making it optional to use the Kana scripts. The 'culture' is set in my conworld of Antir where other languages with which I would like to continue to develop are set. Other conlangs from that world include: Elsian, Thyrrian, Dhraexian, Gultsyrrian and the various tribal languages most prominently Imrizonian. Yondae'eo is spoken by a group of people who only recently migrated there from another part of the world. This is the central part of the world.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Gesithan » Tue 18 May 2010 8:25 pm

Hmm. I'm not saying anything, but it seems to me that when a script is optional it just isn't used. After all, how many Koreans regularly use a Romanization?
Gesithan

Previous

Return to Conlangery