Higgish (Ŧeodeogol)

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Higgish (Ŧeodeogol)

Postby Gesithan » Sat 15 May 2010 2:17 am

So, this is a micronational conlang, that of Haunsieg. It is a germanic language descended from Old English, with heavy Norse influence, as the shamelessly elaborate culture is also Norse rather than Anglo-Saxon. In short, it is basically a divergent from Old English, as Scots was from Middle English and several pidgins and creoles are to Modern English.
Orthography and Phonology:

Basically everything is pretty straightforward. S represents [s], Ś represents [ʃ], and so on. nothing out of the ordinary. Generally speaking, there are absolutely zero silent letters, with only one official exception, which I will detail later. There are two velar fricatives (ćǥ) , four alveolar fricatives (sśzź),two interdental fricatives (þð] and two labiodental fricatives (fv). Stops follow the same general pattern, with (cgtdpb). Nasals, rhotics and L follow the same pattern as well, as the language includes both voiced and voiceless nasals, rhotics and L. (R) is the same as in English and (L) is always "dark". The vowels have changed little from OE. Also, the language has lost distinction of doubled consonants, which have become fricatives (OE occ becomes ), and vowel length, which have a more complicated sound shift to retain distinction between words.
Gesithan

Re: Higgish (Ŧeodeogol)

Postby Caenwyr » Sat 15 May 2010 11:57 am

Looks interesting, Gesithan! Do tell more about it!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Gesithan » Sat 15 May 2010 2:28 pm

(Note that Internet Explorer kept doing a funky shifting thing that made finishing this in one post impossible).
This gives us the alphabet:

Aa Åå Ææ Bb Cc Dd Ðð Ee Ff Gg Ȝȝ Hh Ii Jj Ll Łł Mm Nn Ŋŋ Oo Øø Pp Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ƿƿ Ww Xx Yy Zz Þþ and Vend.

Vend is normally replaced with V. Wynn is often replaced with W, Yogh with J (they both represent [j]). Since I am using the "Norwegian with Sami Keyboard", I don't have thorn and eth, so I will use Ŧ and Đ when I am too lazy to copy and paste. And the one "irregularity" I alluded to earlier:

h following an initial consonant is silent.

Why, I hear you ask? Because of emphasis. If you see someone write about their "Ghesiŧan", that is a much closer friend than their "Gesithas". This is onomotopoeic in origin; being as angry or excited people tend to aspirate more freely.
Gesithan

Postby linguoboy » Sat 15 May 2010 5:10 pm

Gesithan wrote:h following an initial consonant is silent.

Why, I hear you ask? Because of emphasis. If you see someone write about their "Ghesiŧan", that is a much closer friend than their "Gesithas". This is onomotopoeic in origin; being as angry or excited people tend to aspirate more freely.

Okay, this part I'm not following. Are you saying that, at one time, this h actually used to represent a phonetic alteration but that with time the change was reversed and it became a purely orthographic device (like using capital letters)? That's the only way I can make sense of the stated "onomatopoetic origin".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Gesithan » Sat 15 May 2010 8:47 pm

No. What I am saying is that the silent h represented the aspiration exhibited by emphatic speakers. English represents this with the phrase "with a capital _!" Of course, this orthographic convention is not immune to being subject to sarcastic and ironic use, all confusing for foreigners. But No, the h never represented a phonemic alteration, though in hindsight I think that "allophonic" might have been a better word than "onomotopoeic". Just think of it as a more subtle way of righting "THIS!!! IS!!! SPARTA!!!".
Gesithan

Postby Remd » Mon 17 May 2010 2:44 pm

I have always wondered what people really mean when they say "micronation". Is it that you really claim your house or neightborhood or whatever is an independent country or is it like making up a conworld which is obviously fantastic and only exists in your imagination?
Remd

Postby Gesithan » Mon 17 May 2010 3:29 pm

Under Wikipedia's definition, a micronation is any nation whose claim to independence is completely unrecognized. Under my definition, a micronation requires tangible territory and real citizens, otherwise it is just a "fantasy land". That territory can be on a exoplanet just discovered Tuesday, but to me it just has to be there. According to Wikipedia, Haunsieg is (theoretically as there is no Wikipedia page for it) a classic micronation, in the manner of the Hutt River Province, Sealand, or Molossia. This means that I basically staked out my farm and the properties of friend and family, and declared independence. Over the last five years the culture has grown into an immensely elaborate and detailed behemoth. The only two things we were missing are:
A) Citizens. This is the big one for any micronation. They aren't "micro" for nothing, you know...
B) A language.
Gesithan

Postby Gesithan » Mon 17 May 2010 8:48 pm

Aa [a]
Áá [au]
Ææ [æ]
Ǽǽ [ai]
Åå [ɔ]
Bb [b]
Cc [k]
Ćć [x]
Dd [d]
Ðð [ð]
Ee [e]
Éé [ei]
Ff [f]
Gg [g]
Ǵǵ [ɣ]
Ȝȝ [j]
marked Ȝȝ [voiceless j]
Hh [h]
Iı [i]
Jj [j]
Ll [ʟ]
Łł [ɬ]
Mm [m]
Ḿḿ [voiceless m]
Ńń [voiceless n]
Ŋŋ [ŋ]
Oo [o]
Óó [ou]
Øø [ø]
Pp [p]
Rr [ɹ]
Ŕŕ [voiceless ɹ]
Ss [s]
Śś [ʃ]
Tt [t]
Þþ [θ]
Uu [u]
Úú [ui]
Vv [v]
Ƿƿ [w]
Ww [w]
Ẃẃ [ʍ]
Xx [ks]
Yy [y]
Ýý [ye]
Zz [z]
Źź [ʒ]

Note that the diacritcal mark featured on many letters is down to personal choice. It is actually normally a dot above or macron, but keyboard limitations can suck sometimes... Also, wynn can be "marked", but I wasn't about to try that in my browser.
Gesithan

Postby Gesithan » Mon 17 May 2010 9:16 pm

Finally, Getting around to Grammar:

Higgish is SOV, meaning that "Your squid is eating my cheese" becomes "Your squid is my cheese eating". Simple enough. Higgish retains more gender than English, having ("the") đa (m), se (n), and si (f). In the realm of number, Higgish has singular (Gesiŧ), dual (Gesiŧan), and plural (Gesiŧas).

Gender is somewhat pragmatic, for instance writing "Se gesiŧ" implies a friend, and "Si gesiŧ" is girlfriend. However, unlike in German, writing "Gesiŧ" does not require or prohibit the use of one article over any other.
Gesithan

Postby linguoboy » Mon 17 May 2010 10:18 pm

Gesithan wrote:Higgish is SOV, meaning that "Your squid is eating my cheese" becomes "Your squid is my cheese eating". Simple enough.

This looks to me like not only SOV but also V2. Is it CP-V2 or IP-V2?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Next

Return to Conlangery