What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Talib » Mon 08 Mar 2010 6:46 pm

I knew it was no longer official, but it seems to be clinging on in some capacity.
Spanish ceased to be an official language in 1973 and a college requirement in 1987, during Corazón Aquino's administration. However, the language is still spoken today by Filipino-Spanish mestizos and Spanish families, who are mainly concentrated in Metro Manila, Iloilo and Cebu. It remains a required subject in many universities, such as the University of Santo Tomás of Manila and the University of San Carlos in Cebu.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:22 am
Location: Canada

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Babbler » Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:53 pm

I'm not sure if my mother know Spanish or not; she did go to university there. So maybe she learnt it but has forgotten it. For the most part, English has replaced Spanish as the "top dog" language there.
Native language: English
Second language: Français

That's it. :(
User avatar
Babbler
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2009 11:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 6:41 pm

French and German.

Then Portuguese and Dutch :)
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue 11 Aug 2009 12:52 pm

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 13 Apr 2010 6:53 pm

Smart wrote:French and German.

Which French, Old World or New World?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 6:55 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Smart wrote:French and German.

Which French, Old World or New World?

Why would I bother with New World?

Gotta have the real deal. :)
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue 11 Aug 2009 12:52 pm

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 13 Apr 2010 7:00 pm

Smart wrote:Why would I bother with New World?

Because that's where you are?

Smart wrote:Gotta have the real deal.

In that case, perhaps you should start studying English.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 7:22 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Smart wrote:Why would I bother with New World?

Because that's where you are?

Smart wrote:Gotta have the real deal.

In that case, perhaps you should start studying English.

I am not associated with this "Oh you're in America, therefore think like an American!" I am a European at heart, therefore I am learning most if not all of the major languages of Europe. Also, the "New World" languages (Latin American[Mexican] Spanish, South American Spanish, Suriname Dutch, French-Canadian, etc) are very unattractive considering people in my area of California are mostly European and not native Americans. Therefore they would laugh at me for a poor understanding of the language.

Perhaps I should start studying English? Do you have short-term memory? Did you not see my introduction posts?

______
I know proper English (British-English) and American-English.
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue 11 Aug 2009 12:52 pm

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Tue 13 Apr 2010 8:29 pm

Smart wrote:Do you have short-term memory? Did you not see my introduction posts?

I did see them. In fact, I even spotted the one where you say:
Smart wrote:Yes I have been to Mexico and the Bahamas.
So do forgive me if I take all this "I am a European at heart" business with a heaping helping of salt. At one time I also considered myself very "European at heart". Then I actually went to Europe and lived there.

Smart wrote:I am not associated with this "Oh you're in America, therefore think like an American!"

No one needs to tell you to do that; you do it already without even being aware of it.

Smart wrote:Also, the "New World" languages (Latin American[Mexican] Spanish, South American Spanish, Suriname Dutch, French-Canadian, etc) are very unattractive considering people in my area of California are mostly European and not native Americans. Therefore they would laugh at me for a poor understanding of the language.

What makes you think so? I've never had a European mock me for speaking an American variety of their language. (Or vice-versa.) Am I just lucky? Also, where in California could you possibly live where speakers of European Spanish outnumber speakers of American Spanish?

Smart wrote:I know proper English (British-English) and American-English.

Which form of British English do you consider the "proper" one? And do you actually speak it with other Americans?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 10:52 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Smart wrote:Do you have short-term memory? Did you not see my introduction posts?

I did see them. In fact, I even spotted the one where you say:
Smart wrote:Yes I have been to Mexico and the Bahamas.
So do forgive me if I take all this "I am a European at heart" business with a heaping helping of salt. At one time I also considered myself very "European at heart". Then I actually went to Europe and lived there.

Smart wrote:I am not associated with this "Oh you're in America, therefore think like an American!"

No one needs to tell you to do that; you do it already without even being aware of it.

Smart wrote:Also, the "New World" languages (Latin American[Mexican] Spanish, South American Spanish, Suriname Dutch, French-Canadian, etc) are very unattractive considering people in my area of California are mostly European and not native Americans. Therefore they would laugh at me for a poor understanding of the language.

What makes you think so? I've never had a European mock me for speaking an American variety of their language. (Or vice-versa.) Am I just lucky? Also, where in California could you possibly live where speakers of European Spanish outnumber speakers of American Spanish?

Smart wrote:I know proper English (British-English) and American-English.

Which form of British English do you consider the "proper" one? And do you actually speak it with other Americans?


1. I only recently got allowed to have a passport, those were the only two places that did not require a passport for travel on the Seas (Cruises). I could care less about them.

2. No I do not.

3. Southern California. I was speaking more specifically about French not Spanish.

4. You believe there to be more than one British-English? Well whatever is the normal one that I see every time I go online and speak with people from England. And yes I do use it with other Americans, so much so i am often not completely understood. Then again their vocabularies consist of not even 5,000 words.
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue 11 Aug 2009 12:52 pm

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby linguoboy » Wed 14 Apr 2010 1:55 am

Smart wrote:1. I only recently got allowed to have a passport, those were the only two places that did not require a passport for travel on the Seas (Cruises). I could care less about them.

Whatever. The point stands that your knowledge of "Europeanness" is still purely notional at this point.

Smart wrote:2. No I do not.

Yep, you do. I'm sorry you feel it necessary to deny this; there's no shame to it, it's just a fact about you like your reaction time and whether or not you're lactose-intolerant.

Smart wrote:3. Southern California. I was speaking more specifically about French not Spanish.

Sure about that? A lot of Québécois winter in California.

Smart wrote:4. You believe there to be more than one British-English?

Don't you? Can you not distinguish Liverpudlian from Glaswegian or Welsh English from West Yorkshire?

Smart wrote:Well whatever is the normal one that I see every time I go online and speak with people from England.

Where in England are they from? And when you say "go online and speak with [them]", do you mean by Skype or something?

Smart wrote:And yes I do use it with other Americans, so much so i am often not completely understood.

That's a bit odd. I don't generally make a point of using vocabulary I don't think people will recognise if I also know words they do. Sure, I could insist on asking the Mexicans who work on campus for pavo instead of guajalote and tortillas instead of omeletes, but at the end of the day I just want them to fix the food I'd like to eat.

Smart wrote:Then again their vocabularies consist of not even 5,000 words.

You've kept count?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

cron