Polyglot Jesus II

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: Polyglot Jesus II

Postby Yaziq » Fri 11 Dec 2009 7:05 pm

How was the Last Supper not a ritual? Not all rituals are unwarranted.
Yaziq

Postby Talib » Fri 11 Dec 2009 7:07 pm

The most common interpretation is that it was a Passover Seder, which unfortunately Christians don't celebrate, as it's a lot of fun. What other religious holiday involves the compulsory consumption of several glasses of wine?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby formiko » Sat 12 Dec 2009 4:09 am

Yaziq wrote:How was the Last Supper not a ritual? Not all rituals are unwarranted.

Whenever I get together with Christians, we eat dinner in celebration of Christ. We have a full meal. Just because "institutionalized Christianity" has a tictac and a thimble of juice doesn't mean that's what Christ was talking about.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 12 Dec 2009 6:48 am

Caenwyr wrote:I assume you also believe the world and anything on it was really created in six days?

No, I don't believe that. It took a LONG time for the earth to form as we know it today.

Caenwyr wrote:you believe the Red Sea actually split in two when Moses decided to take a shortcut?

I actually saw a show on a the History Channel which explained how the sea naturally could have parted exactly as described in the Old Testament. I forgot what the explanation was, though... :(

Caenwyr wrote:How about the walls of Jericho crumbling under the sound of the Israelite horn? Jonah being swallowed by a fish?

Maybe the walls did crumble. Not sure about Jonah/Yunus, though.

Basically, I believe that Jesus was an enlightened being & had special powers. But as for the Old Testament people & other prophets of Islam, I don't really pay much attention to them & aren't part of my religious beliefs.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Talib » Sat 12 Dec 2009 6:51 am

Sobekhotep wrote:I actually saw a show on a the History Channel which explained how the sea naturally could have parted exactly as described in the Old Testament. I forgot what the explanation was, though... :(
I saw that show too - most of it was pretty bunk. Their explanations were possible, but not plausible. I believe their theory for the parting of the Red Sea had to do with high-level winds exposing low-tide areas.

That's what you get for getting your science from cable TV, I suppose.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby formiko » Sat 12 Dec 2009 6:59 am

Sobekhotep wrote:

Caenwyr wrote:How about the walls of Jericho crumbling under the sound of the Israelite horn? Jonah being swallowed by a fish?

Well, Jesus himself vouched for ALL these things, and he said he was the Son of God, the first of ALL creation, so if you believe that, then you'll have to believe Jonah.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 12 Dec 2009 7:54 am

Talib wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:I actually saw a show on a the History Channel which explained how the sea naturally could have parted exactly as described in the Old Testament. I forgot what the explanation was, though... :(
I saw that show too - most of it was pretty bunk. Their explanations were possible, but not plausible. I believe their theory for the parting of the Red Sea had to do with high-level winds exposing low-tide areas.

Yeah, I think that's right.

formiko wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:
caenwyr wrote:How about the walls of Jericho crumbling under the sound of the Israelite horn? Jonah being swallowed by a fish?

Well, Jesus himself vouched for ALL these things, and he said he was the Son of God, the first of ALL creation, so if you believe that, then you'll have to believe Jonah.

Being an adherent of Dharmic religion, I'm not exactly that familiar with the teachings of Jesus. Before I "commit" myself to anything I'd like to read his words in the original Greek & also see what the Qur'an says.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Caenwyr » Fri 09 Apr 2010 4:32 pm

formiko wrote:
Sobekhotep wrote:

Overly late maybe, but your remark is still worth answering. You see, you're absolutely right: if you believe in SOME of it, you must believe in all of it. You can't go shopping through the Bible and picking out things you like. You take all of it, or none of it at all. Personally I go for the last option.
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby formiko » Sat 10 Apr 2010 4:48 am

Caenwyr wrote:Overly late maybe, but your remark is still worth answering. You see, you're absolutely right: if you believe in SOME of it, you must believe in all of it. You can't go shopping through the Bible and picking out things you like. You take all of it, or none of it at all. Personally I go for the last option.

I respect that truly honest reply.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 7:00 pm

I am convinced based on the evident Jesus knew Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Notice - i put Aramaic second.
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart

PreviousNext

Return to Extinct languages