Translate into your own conlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Translate into your own conlang

Postby alpha-omega » Fri 02 Apr 2010 2:48 pm

Hi all your works are great. Creating a language is a habit for me. I think it is also a habit for you. I want to see your language in a long sentence. I want you to translate the following into your language and if it is possible I want you to help me pronounce it. OK?
Here is the sentence:
My friend told me that she were in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But I have to find the truth.

In Vi Söllidäävin it is:
Noidaus ålenvicsi minli mincin cøømmäyñi si peulliñen. Hännä yøttävmertincy. Cål vy jylycsi teuccesun.

[nojdaʊs olenviksi minli minkin kø:mmæynji si peullinjen. Hænnæ yøttævmertinky. Kol vy jylyksi teʊkkesʊn]

Well I know the example is not nice one but just let me see your languages. Thanks.
Native: Turkish
Fluent: English
Learning: Greek
Have ideas about: German, Spanish, Finnish, French
Can read: Russian, Greek
Creating: Aiením, Vi Söllidäävin
Want to learn: Irish, Welsh
alpha-omega

Re: Translate into your own conlang

Postby Kloiten » Sat 03 Apr 2010 10:46 pm

My friend told me that she were in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But I have to find the truth.

Perhaps you meant to write: My friend told me that she was in love with me. I couldn't believe her, but now I must find the truth?

In that case...
Kuperenka konna kesa kisar nutro, ecekeymo, neko cekna hari camiki cuki.
X-Sampa: [kupErEnka kon:a kEsa kisar nutro EtSEkEjmo tSEkna xari tSamiki tSuki]
my-friend-female I-ACC love ear hear-but, neg.-trust-and, be-in.order.to truth-ACC chase.down eye see.

Bonus points for naming inspiration language.

On, and just saying, you don't capitalize in IPA transcripts. But I guess that's arbitrary.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Talib » Sun 04 Apr 2010 2:12 am

Few questions:

1) What is the difference between o and å?
2) What is the difference between ö and ø?
3) Why use ñ when nj would do perfectly well?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby alpha-omega » Sun 04 Apr 2010 8:18 pm

Kloiten wrote:

Perhaps you meant to write: My friend told me that she was in love with me. I couldn't believe her, but now I must find the truth?

In that case...
Kuperenka konna kesa kisar nutro, ecekeymo, neko cekna hari camiki cuki.
X-Sampa: [kupErEnka kon:a kEsa kisar nutro EtSEkEjmo tSEkna xari tSamiki tSuki]
my-friend-female I-ACC love ear hear-but, neg.-trust-and, be-in.order.to truth-ACC chase.down eye see.

Bonus points for naming inspiration language.

On, and just saying, you don't capitalize in IPA transcripts. But I guess that's arbitrary.

Well actually my friend is male and the one who is in love with me in female, also I can't believe my male friend.

About the capitalization, I didn't know that we were not supposed to do that. Thanks for telling me. And also Thanks for translating. But I didn't understand the meaning. Like "love ear hear" and "eye see". :)
alpha-omega

Postby alpha-omega » Sun 04 Apr 2010 8:42 pm

Talib wrote:Few questions:

1) What is the difference between o and å?
2) What is the difference between ö and ø?
3) Why use ñ when nj would do perfectly well?

Answer for questions 1 and 2:
There are no differences between o and å, and also ö and ø when pronouncing them. But it is just for now. I think o will be /ɔ/ and å will remain /o/. The same for ö and ø. But we can't double o and ö. Like "loonen" is wrong. The correct is "låånen".

Answer for question 3:
It is a grammatical rule. Nasalization. If a word ends with "n" and a suffix which begins with a vowel comes, the "n" changes to "ñ". Like Låånen + en = lååneñen (my honor). And also if a word ends with 2 vowels and a suffix which begins with a vowel comes to it, we add "ñ" between them. Because in Vi Söllidäävin 3 vowels can't be side by side. E.g. l'ai + ñ + uo = l'aiñuo (sighs[plural]). :D
alpha-omega

Postby Svip » Mon 05 Apr 2010 12:37 am

Kloiten wrote:

Think about this:

Your friend A tells you that girl B is in love with you. Niiiiice, btw.

I could not believe A.

Now I must find out if B really loves me; aka moving my butt over to her house and say; 'yo girl, ya dig this?'

Assuming I am accurate and the original sentence is the right, then this is the translation into Standard:

O ivap on, o æwyš; jav o ylta. O os meumnis. Li o asham rod.

The reason it is so short is because Standard cuts out a lot of the 'fluff' coming in most spoken languages. I'm even having trouble wrapping my head around speaking it.
Svip

Postby Caenwyr » Tue 06 Apr 2010 9:27 am

alpha-omega wrote:My friend told me that she were in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But I have to find the truth.

Here's the translation in my (still-under-development) conlang Erhain:
Márlinen odu sudán ni oda árudom øn. Pa tunín ødu ílavøs. Oan tunór ánsiløs gwirsîn
ˈmarlinɛn ˈodu suˈdan niː ˈoda ˈarudɔm œn. paː tunˈin ˈœdu ˈilavœːs. owan tunˈɔr ˈansilœːs ˈgʷirsɪn.

In most sentences personal pronouns are not used: a combination of verb declension and context is usually sufficient to understand who we're talking about ;). But in this example I had to use them to denote the difference between the two speakers (odu: 3sig-NOM + male, he; oda, 3sig-NOM + female, she).
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Aika-sáni » Tue 06 Apr 2010 10:55 pm

There are 2 ways of speaking in Caiisa (my conlang): the first is "propper" and the second is "normal" and is used when the subject is already know.

There are also 2 different ways of writing Caiisa as the propper script requires a lot of extra strokes and shifting between keyboards. Here the second (in red) is the same as the first (in blue) but with accentless spelling using just a normal English keyboard.

Ìc Anji aŕ Í dća-cara a-Í ja Gi-éx dća aïa a-Í. É ìc Í pja cù aîano a-Ox. É lè Í dsè-dća-akab a dsèń hanán.
I'c Anji arr Ii dcca-cara a-Ii ja Gi-eex dcca aaiia a-Ii. Ee i'c Ii pja cu' aaiano a-Ox. Ee le' Ii dse'-dcca-akab a dse'nn hanaan.

-IPA pronounciation * : ɪs anji æɹ i‿i dza sæɾæ ʔæ i‿i jæ kieç dza ɑi‿iæ ʔæ i‿i. e ɪs i‿i pja sʉ ɑɪænɒ ʔæ ɒç. e lə i‿i tʃə dza axæm a tʃənː hanɑn.
-Lit: [past] friend of I do say to I that Woman do love to I. And [past] I can no believe to he. And but I must-do-find to THE truth.

Here is a more natural way of saying the phrase, as friends would between each other.
The spelling is also simplyfied and isn't really correct:

Ìc íhè anji dcca cara a í ja acc dcca aïa a í. É ìc í cù pja na aîano all. É lè í dsèdcca akab dsènn hanán.

ɪs i‿i hə anji dza sæɾæ ʔæ i‿i jæ æz dza ɑi‿iæ ʔæ i‿i. e ɪs i‿i sʉ pja na ɑɪænɒ ʔæ alː. e lə i‿i tʃə dza axæm a tʃənː hanɑn.

-Lit: [past] I[posessive] friend do say to I that the before-mentioned do love to I. And I [past] no can no believe before-mentioned-himself. ANd but I must-do find to THE truth.

*the pronouciation is farely variable
Dća a haíjạ́na ce Hijẹíba, Saï--ba, Ạía, Yedẹma ai ba cạjam.
Aika-sáni

Postby alpha-omega » Thu 08 Apr 2010 9:21 pm

Márlinen odu sudán ni oda árudom øn. Pa tunín ødu ílavøs. Oan tunór ánsiløs gwirsîn
ˈmarlinɛn ˈodu suˈdan niː ˈoda ˈarudɔm œn. paː tunˈin ˈœdu ˈilavœːs. owan tunˈɔr ˈansilœːs ˈgʷirsɪn.

I want to know more about your language if it is possible. :D
alpha-omega

Postby Caenwyr » Fri 09 Apr 2010 1:24 pm

alpha-omega wrote:

I want to know more about your language if it is possible. :D

Sure! I'll make a nice little thread (link) in the conlangery topic!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Next

Return to Conlangery