Introducing myself and my new software

The place to introduce yourselves.

Introducing myself and my new software

Postby John Mellema » Wed 17 Mar 2010 6:00 am

Hello everyone. I recently registered here at the forum because I am developing a word processor that makes the task of inserting created symbols and scripts into documents easier than ever before. The name of the software is SymbolChooser and it is currently downloadable in a free trial version with a full version to be released later this year. SymbolChooser allows you to create your own language symbols and assign them to a key on the keyboard where they can be easily entered into your documents. SymbolChooser also allows documents to be created in four different writing orientations:
    Horizontal lines with symbols from left to right
    Horizontal lines with symbols from right to left
    Vertical lines with lines proceeding left to right
    Vertical lines with lines proceeding right to left
You can read more about the software and download the free trial version at http://www.SymbolChooserSoftware.com I would love to receive lots of feedback about the program that I can use to steer the development of the full version.
John Mellema

Re: Introducing myself and my new software

Postby telal » Sat 20 Mar 2010 1:30 am

I looked at your software and it is not very user-friendly.

Also, if this is a free trial, how much will it cost?
לא משנה
telal

Postby John Mellema » Sat 20 Mar 2010 4:45 am

In what ways did you think that SymbolChooser was not user friendly? I want to make it as easy to use as possible so any suggestions would be appreciated.
As for the price of the full version I have not decided on an exact amount yet. Most likely it will be in the $50 - $75 range.
John Mellema

Postby telal » Sat 20 Mar 2010 8:11 pm

John Mellema wrote:As for the price of the full version I have not decided on an exact amount yet. Most likely it will be in the $50 - $75 range.

there is other software that is completely free...software that is way better than yours

50-75 $ ?

that's nutty

ive seen you joining all sorts of conlanging boards in the last week or so just hocking your program...not cool imo
לא משנה
telal

Postby John Mellema » Sun 21 Mar 2010 6:40 am

Telal,
I have joined two conlanging boards (Omniglot Forum and Scriptorium) in the past week to promote my software because I think it would be of interest to conlangers and more specifically to conscripters. I have used font editors to assign new symbol shapes to keyboard keys but I find this to be a tedious process to create a symbol that looks decent. SymbolChooser makes this task much easier and faster.
Also I don't mind the criticism but please be more specific. What software is way better than mine? Why? I can't make improvements if I don't know what people don't like about it. I would also like to know what software people currently use to type their conscripts into documents. In fact I am going to post that question as a new topic. And I promise I won't even mention my own program.
John Mellema

Postby telal » Sun 21 Mar 2010 12:39 pm

I have joined two conlanging boards (Omniglot Forum and Scriptorium) in the past week to promote my software

yeah, great reason to join a forum

I have been trying to register on the Conlanger.com Bulletin Board but after I enter my user information and click "Submit" I continually get the error

i'm only surprised that you haven't tried the zbb yet
לא משנה
telal

Postby Declan » Sun 21 Mar 2010 2:04 pm

John Mellema wrote:As for the price of the full version I have not decided on an exact amount yet. Most likely it will be in the $50 - $75 range.

From your point of view, that's extremely foolish. People will not pay for software they can get for free, unless they are by far the best in the market, or have some sort of connection. You will make more money by making it donation-ware.
As an example, Neuview is the best video player I have ever used. In my opinion, by charging the small amount of $12, they ruined their chances.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Return to Introductions