tower orthography

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: tower orthography

Postby linguoboy » Sat 20 Mar 2010 1:41 am

telal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What languages out there use c to represent [ʃ]?

Zhuang, Kabyle and Beninese Yoruba

Ah yes--all languages one would expect the average English-speaker to be intimately familiar with.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby THEthe » Sat 20 Mar 2010 1:49 am

ok, im going to ask the original guy about that

i know that a good orthography balances ethymology and pronunciation; but ina language so messed as english is just too complicated
THEthe

Postby telal » Sat 20 Mar 2010 2:15 am

linguoboy wrote:
telal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What languages out there use c to represent [ʃ]?

Zhuang, Kabyle and Beninese Yoruba

Ah yes--all languages one would expect the average English-speaker to be intimately familiar with.

I don't remember anyone suggesting that the average English-speaker would be intimately familiar with those languages, but they do use 'c' for /S/, and that is what you asked.
לא משנה
telal

Postby Talib » Sat 20 Mar 2010 2:50 am

The point is that it doesn't do the average English speaker much good to know that Zhuang uses <c> to spell [ʃ]. I'm willing to bet fewer than 99% of them have even heard of Zhuang. It's just as counterintuitive either way, whereas <sh> is well-established and has been used for centuries. If we want to go further back, <sc> was used before then, and there are Middle English variants like <ssh> and <sch>. Never <c>.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby THEthe » Sat 20 Mar 2010 2:55 am

hey english speaking people
if you all can learn that nonsense you call othography it will be very easy to use "c" for the "sh" sound
THEthe

Postby Talib » Sat 20 Mar 2010 3:11 am

What's your native language?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby THEthe » Sat 20 Mar 2010 3:15 am

Talib wrote:What's your native language?

román paladino
if you get the joke i guive you extra points
THEthe

Postby telal » Sat 20 Mar 2010 4:35 am

Talib wrote:The point is that it doesn't do the average English speaker much good to know that Zhuang uses <c> to spell [ʃ]. I'm willing to bet fewer than 99% of them have even heard of Zhuang. It's just as counterintuitive either way, whereas <sh> is well-established and has been used for centuries. If we want to go further back, <sc> was used before then, and there are Middle English variants like <ssh> and <sch>. Never <c>.

In French and Portuguese 'ch' is used for /S/, do you think those languages are alien to English speakers?

Spanish sometimes uses 'x', most especially in the transcription of indigenous American languages, does that seem like something that 99% of English speakers would be familiar with?
לא משנה
telal

Postby THEthe » Sat 20 Mar 2010 5:16 am

telal wrote:
Talib wrote:The point is that it doesn't do the average English speaker much good to know that Zhuang uses <c> to spell [ʃ]. I'm willing to bet fewer than 99% of them have even heard of Zhuang. It's just as counterintuitive either way, whereas <sh> is well-established and has been used for centuries. If we want to go further back, <sc> was used before then, and there are Middle English variants like <ssh> and <sch>. Never <c>.

In French and Portuguese 'ch' is used for /S/, do you think those languages are alien to English speakers?

Spanish sometimes uses 'x', most especially in the transcription of indigenous American languages, does that seem like something that 99% of English speakers would be familiar with?

well there are many ways to represent the /S/ sound, his proble is ethymology.
he is talking about that is huld be like in other germanic languages

P.D: telal: tell me what you think about his othography
THEthe

Postby Talib » Sat 20 Mar 2010 5:36 am

For many of them, yes actually they are, especially Portuguese. Besides that, English already uses <ch> for [tʃ]. What do you plan to use to in its place then?
No. So I don't see how it's relevant.
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems