What are you reading, now?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: What are you reading, now?

Postby mike92s8 » Thu 18 Mar 2010 2:31 pm

Delodephius wrote:Nicholas Ostler: Empires of the Word - A Language History of the World

Have you started this one yet? Its on my Amazon shopping list. Planning to buy it soon.
Let me know how you like it.

I'm reading for the 4th time The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I don't really get down with much Fantasy (love sci-fi though) but this series is really just fantastic.

Just started Genes, People, and Languages by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Mark Seielstad

Just finished In Search of the Indo-Europeans:Language, Archaeology, and Myth by J.P. Mallory
I enjoyed this one, it was very interesting.
mike92s8

Postby Kietl » Thu 18 Mar 2010 5:57 pm

This past week I came across a copy of a book called Icelandic: Grammar-Texts-Glossary by Stefán Einarsson. So far it seems quite thorough (although perhaps slightly outdated). Very interesting though.
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Delodephius » Thu 18 Mar 2010 7:41 pm

mike92s8 wrote:
Delodephius wrote:Nicholas Ostler: Empires of the Word - A Language History of the World

Have you started this one yet? Its on my Amazon shopping list. Planning to buy it soon.
Let me know how you like it.

Well it's ok, not perfect. It's organized a bit strangely and chaotically. He for example placed Egyptian and Chinese in one section since they are both written in pictographic scripts and then tries to explain why one survived and one didn't.

He writes more about history than languages themselves, as the title says. I like it though since he wrote about languages not in so much a chronological order or according to language families, but according to the way they were used throughout history. For example: languages that spread by land and those by sea, those that spread as tools of religion and those as tools of an empire, those that were solely languages of literature and those that were languages of commoners, etc.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Delodephius » Wed 17 Nov 2010 1:55 am

Currently I have returned to reading Zarathustra and the Transfiguration of the World by Paul de Breuil. It's a long book and it basically explains Zoroastrianism, its history beginning with Zarathustra, how Zoroastrianism influenced other world religions and how can knowledge of Zarathustra be applied to the modern world. Personally I think its one of the best books ever written. ;)
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby linguoboy » Wed 17 Nov 2010 4:16 am

Knut Hamsun's Mysteries.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Kotoba_Azul » Wed 17 Nov 2010 4:19 am

Currently I am reading William Golding's Lord of the Flies. Very strangely written, indeed.
Languages, from most fluent to more recent: English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Mandarin.
Kotoba_Azul

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 27 Nov 2010 5:13 am

I read Delany's Babel-17 last week. Anyone want to discuss how he based the plot on a strong reading of Sapir-Whorf?
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Alex » Thu 03 Nov 2011 3:43 am

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin and Sir Walter Scott's Waverly. Very good books and authors! :D
Lakhota -Currently trying to learn! :3
Russian - Going to learn!
Afrikaans, Arabic, Gaelic, and Tibetan! - want to learn!
Alex

Postby linguoboy » Thu 03 Nov 2011 5:02 am

I've gotten to the point now where whenever I glance over and someone's reading a book with double Dutch names in it, I just assume it's G. R. R. Martin.

I'm reading Sheridan Le Fanu's In a glass darkly and rereading some E. T. A. Hoffmann.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Emma » Fri 04 Nov 2011 5:06 am

Because I was recommended it by a friend. :lol:

Rowe's Phonemes Allophones phones Phonology.
An Introduction to Syntax by Robert D. Van Valin.

I also decided to pick up the full collection of Grimm stories. I might give it a shot later. :?
Emma

PreviousNext

Return to General chat