Chinese IMEs

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Chinese IMEs

Postby sokuban » Wed 10 Mar 2010 3:45 am

The Chinese don't do.

I'm not sure how exactly it works; but 90% of Chinese I know simply can't type. The people who can use a variety of methods, but I suppose the most common is the Microsoft pinyin IME that comes with Windows.
sokuban

Postby Talib » Wed 10 Mar 2010 7:49 am

Come off it. If 90% of Chinese people don't type, where does all the Internet content in Chinese come from?

To answer your question, yes they use Western keyboards with IMEs. I couldn't tell you which method is most prevalent though. It's probably pinyin with those who use simplified characters though.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby formiko » Wed 10 Mar 2010 9:29 am

My friend's dad "wrote" the character with a touch pen and the software figured out the character. It was pretty neat.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby sokuban » Wed 10 Mar 2010 3:35 pm

Talib wrote:Come off it. If 90% of Chinese people don't type, where does all the Internet content in Chinese come from?

From the other 10%.

I'm bloody serious; China has a big enough population for it to work out.
sokuban

Postby Declan » Wed 10 Mar 2010 6:56 pm

sokuban wrote:I'm bloody serious; China has a big enough population for it to work out.

Probably!

Is the situation like Maths for us? I always reach for pen and paper to do any calculations, or formulate equations because it's just so much easier than on a computer. Even the equations for any computer programme I write, I'd often work out on paper first.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Talib » Wed 10 Mar 2010 8:13 pm

sokuban wrote:
Talib wrote:Come off it. If 90% of Chinese people don't type, where does all the Internet content in Chinese come from?

From the other 10%.

I'm bloody serious; China has a big enough population for it to work out.
Eh, you may be right. Bearing in mind that many Chinese don't have regular internet access and content is heavily censored anyway, it's quite a feat that they contribute as much as they do. I expect in the future Chinese will be second only to English on the web, if it isn't already.

But this is ignoring overseas Chinese who probably make substantial contributions as well (and are the reason traditional characters haven't died out yet).
My friend's dad "wrote" the character with a touch pen and the software figured out the character. It was pretty neat.
I've tried this but it's pretty hard to write neatly with a computer mouse or touchpad. It might be useful with a stylo.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby formiko » Fri 12 Mar 2010 12:22 am

I've tried this but it's pretty hard to write neatly with a computer mouse or touchpad. It might be useful with a stylo.[/quote]

It was a stylus on a touch pad. It had to be "trained", but once it got your handwriting, he could write as quickly as he could with pen and paper.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Talib » Fri 12 Mar 2010 12:40 am

Oops, I meant stylus. I said stylo because I've been working on French lately.
Talib

Postby Neqitan » Sun 14 Mar 2010 9:01 pm

In Taiwan, keyboards usually have both Bopomofo and the US Latin set.

Image:
http://ascii-table.com/img/keyboard-467.png

Sometimes other stuff too, specially Cangjie.

With Cangjie added:
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol9/issue1/Su-Photo.jpg

With both Cangjie and Dayi added:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... yboard.png
Neqitan

Postby sokuban » Mon 15 Mar 2010 8:31 pm

Now that I learnt a basic bit of Zhuyin to be able to type with a Zhuyin IME, (Though to be honest I don't really know the Zhuyin; I think in Pinyin and map the Pinyin in my head to the keys rather than Zhuyin.) I look at those "standard" Zhuyin keyboards and they blow my mind. They are essentially in Alphabetical order: like bo po mo fo de te ne le ge ke he etc etc. Little thought seems to be put into keyboard ergonomics. I dunno how people type with those things.
sokuban

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems