The Life of Esperanto

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: The Life of Esperanto

Postby formiko » Sun 07 Feb 2010 11:11 am

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:I also had to learn Wade-Giles), and moved into learning characters at about a month in.

I learned Wade-Giles first too. Absolutely horrible romanization. Jih for 日! My first Chinese text book had as the first sentence: 门口有人 but had it transliterated as men k'ou yü jen Who invented THAT system? :twisted:
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby linguoboy » Sun 07 Feb 2010 7:37 pm

formiko wrote:I learned Wade-Giles first too. Absolutely horrible romanization. Jih for 日! My first Chinese text book had as the first sentence: 门口有人 but had it transliterated as men k'ou yü jen Who invented THAT system?

Um, Mr Wade and Mr Giles?

But that's not Wade-Giles that you have above. 有 should be yu (PY you). WG corresponds to Yale and Pinyin yu.

My first Chinese textbook had a much worse system. It purported to teach you Chinese using "regular English spelling". You can just imagine how ugly and clumsy that was. It almost made Gwoyeu Romatzyh look good!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Sun 07 Feb 2010 9:27 pm

Meh, neither system looks particularly good to me. Wade-Giles makes heavy use of apostrophes; pinyin has uncommon uses of letters like c, q, x and z and neither is particularly intuitive to English speakers. I only prefer pinyin because it's the most widespread. I would rather not deal with romanization at all, and just use IPA or bopomofo.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Previous

Return to Conlangery