Habits of Dreaming

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Habits of Dreaming

Postby Yaziq » Wed 20 Jan 2010 7:35 pm

Although you may never know the real meaning of your dreams, if you ever contemplate your dreams after waking, you may have noticed that your dreams follow repetitive patterns. The most basic distinction is whether the dream causes you pleasure or discomfort. Are most of your dreams good or bad? Are you relieved to wake up and say to yourself "Thank God, it was only a dream!". My dreams trend toward the dark side. Or do find yourself shutting off the morning alarm so you can pick up the dream where it was interrupted by the alarm. Another basic distinction is color or black & white dreaming. I think most people dream in color. Some people claim that their dreams are precognitive or prophetic. I think I've had only one of those. What I find interesting is the appearance of relatives who have passed away years ago in dreams. Do you dream about people you know or are your dreams populated with total strangers? I've been seeing alot of total strangers in my recent dreams.
Yaziq

Re: Habits of Dreaming

Postby Declan » Thu 21 Jan 2010 1:04 am

I always have to consciously make myself remember my dreams. Otherwise, I always forget them.

Rather than analysing them too much, I instead focus on lucid dreaming. I've had one or two, and when I've time again (time to devote to trying to set my alarm clock to coincide with my sleep cycles and to writing down dreams in the middle of the night), I'll get back to it.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby sil_lark » Sun 24 Jan 2010 1:23 am

I dream a whole lot. Most of my dreams are either disturbing, sad, tragic, or full of anxiety. I dream of people I love dying. I dream of being in the middle of an apocalyptic event. One dream I had a meteor was getting ready to crash into the Pacific Ocean and wipe out North America. Another dream I had was being in the military and finding myself alone fighting Japanese kamakazi soldiers and protecting a little Asian girl. I fought them off with my ax. :x
一 鸣 惊 人.

Native Language: American English

Second language: 4 years Mandarin Chinese

I've tried: Old English, Hebrew, Biblical Greek, Gothic

I want to learn: Tagolog, Arabic, Biblical Greek, Russian, Vietnamese
sil_lark

Postby Delodephius » Sun 24 Jan 2010 2:37 am

I don't know what I dream of specifically. I don't remember events just people I saw in my dreams.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Tikolm » Sun 23 Sep 2012 9:43 pm

I always dream in color. I actually thought most people dreamed in black and white, though -- funny. As for the pleasure vs. discomfort thing, I usually have the "thank [fill in preferred expletive] it was only a dream!" kind. I'm not usually that good at remembering them unless either I write them down within a fairly short period of time or they're disturbing and/or vivid enough that I can't easily forget them.
I encounter both rather distorted versions of people I know and strangers. None of the people I meet in dreams tend to be very nice. They don't help me out when I'm in some sort of fix, and sometimes they're just mean.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby mamd » Sat 29 Sep 2012 10:19 pm

I don't know whether I dream in color or b&w but I presume the former.

Sometimes when I'm very sleepy till not yet asleep I have some "auditory dreams" - dreams in the form of sounds I hear.
mamd

Return to General chat