Your language learning adventures

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Your language learning adventures

Postby Declan » Sun 17 Jan 2010 12:53 pm

Dillon D wrote:Ich? Es tut mir leid, I forget how to say 'who' I thought it was wi but Google is telling me wir. Could somebody remind me? Danke schön!

Who is Wer, Wen, Wem, nominative, accusative and dative.
So, "Wer hat das gesagt?"
"Wen hasst du?"
"Wem gehoert es?"

Firstly, I speak English as a native speaker. From when I started primary school, around 4 or 5, I started to learn Irish like all other Irish children. This will be my last year of formal study of Irish, and between school and about nine weeks at Irish College, my standard is pretty good. Certainly I can converse with no problem at all, I understand most of what is said to me most of the time (except occasionally the Donegal accent which I'm not used to at all), and I understand a fair amount of what I read. I'm not fluent, but it's certainly my best foreign language.

At secondary school, I started learning the only language offered (and therefore compulsory) German. I've spent time in German immersion, and I like some German music, and I'm getting pretty good. I am making less and less grammatical errors, and learning more and more vocabulary, so I hope to get my standard as good as my Irish at least. I really like German.

My mother is a French teacher, and since I like the language, and am reasonably good at it, I started learning French with her maybe six years ago. I can sort of converse, at least about simple things, but what's holding me back is practice more than anything else. Recently I've started to read more French, and watch a few movies, and speak with my mother more in French, so hopefully I'll be gradually improving.

I'm in my last year of school this year, and next year I hope to study engineering, which means that my formal learning of languages will stop, possibly forever. As I'll be rather busy for the next few months, I've put learning any further language on the long finger, and will focus on the four I speak to varying degrees. It is my intention to continue doing this for as long as possible, and I also hope at some stage to start learning a few more. Possibilities are more Celtic languages to go along with Irish (and when I stop having to use the "official standard", I would like to study the dialects a bit more. The native dialect of my area would be a mix of Conemara and Munster, and at present, I speak a mixture of them and the Caighdeán). I have always been interested in Latin and Greek, for their cultures, for their literature, and from an etymological point of view. So I'd like to learn one or both, perhaps not fluently, but well enough.

And if I ever develop an interest in another language, or happen to get to know someone who speaks it, I hope I will still have the desire to learn Icelandic. One that I might eventually start to learn is Icelandic, especially if I ever have the opportunity to speak it. If not Icelandic, I might at some stage start to study the Germanic branch more, perhaps Old English plus a Nordic language or something like that.
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Previous

Return to Language learning