The Bible

The place to discuss learning languages

The Bible

Postby Delodephius » Thu 25 Jun 2009 12:47 am

The Bible is translated virtually into every language. Is it good as a learning resource then?

I'm currently composing a multilingual Bible in the language I'm currently aiming to learn: Old Church Slavonic, Koine Greek, Latin, German and Hungarian. It looks something like this:

John 1.1.
Na počiatku bolo Slovo a Slovo bolo u Boha a to Slovo bolo Boh.
ⰺⱄⰽⱁⱀⰹ ⰱⱑ ⱄⰾⱁⰲⱁ· ⰺ ⱄⰾⱁⰲⱁ ⰱⱑ ⱆ ⰱⱁⰳⰰ· ⰺ ⰱⱁⰳⱏ ⰱⱑ ⱄⰾⱁⰲⱁ:
(їсконі бѣ слово· ї слово бѣ ѹ бога· ї богъ бѣ слово:)
ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.
In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat apud Deum, et Deus erat Verbum.
Im Anfang war das Wort, und das Wort war bei Gott, und Gott war das Wort.
Kezdetben volt az Ige, és az Ige Istennél volt, és Isten volt az Ige.

Note: the first line is Slovak. The second line is OCS in Glagolitic and the third line is the transliteration of the Glagolitic into Cyrillic since I still have difficulty reading the former.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Re: The Bible

Postby formiko » Thu 25 Jun 2009 2:12 am

I think it's a great learning tool. I noticed you have a better translation of John 1:1 than most english translations. As per the Greek;
καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.
and God was the word.

Most English translations have
and the word was God.

But that leaves it open to false interpretations, such as what the Jehovah's Witnesses say:
"and the word was a god"

I read the Eo version of the Bible daily. I'm reading the entire book of Koloseanoj (Colossians)in Esperanto now.

I like Luther's German translation and also the New Living Translation (NLT) and the New Englsih Translation (NET) the best
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby linguoboy » Thu 25 Jun 2009 2:42 am

Delodephius wrote:The Bible is translated virtually into every language. Is it good as a learning resource then?

It depends what it is you want to learn. In more than a few cases, the Biblical register is particularly conservative and stilted and may little, if any, resemblance to the way people actually speak. (Think of, for comparison, the King James Version in English.) Furthermore, Bible translations are quite often the work of missionaries who are non-native speakers of the varieties involved. Not to denigrate their accomplishments, but this often adds to the awkwardness of the language. Wittingly or unwittingly, they may cling to closely to the model offered by their source texts (whether the original Hebrew and Koiné or some later translation, such as the Latin Vulgate). The Gothic Bible of Wulfilas is a good example of this, slavishly following the syntax of the Greek to the point of producing quite unnatural structures for a Germanic language.

For instance, here's the text of John 3:16 according to translation of William Morgan:
Canys felly y carodd Duw y byd fel y rhoddodd efe ei unig-anedig Fab, fel na choller pwy bynnag a gredo ynddo ef, ond caffael ohono fywyd tragwyddol.
Despite the fact that this first appeared in 1588, it was the only complete version available until the publication of the Beibl Cymraeg Newydd (New Welsh Bible) exactly five hundred years later. Even this uses a rather literary form of Welsh. Compare the passage above to a 2008 online translation that's closer to the modern vernacular:
Ydy, mae Duw wedi caru’r byd cymaint nes iddo roi ei unig Fab, er mwyn i bwy bynnag sy'n credu ynddo beidio mynd i ddistryw ond cael bywyd tragwyddol.
There's a lot of overlap in vocabulary, but you don't have to know any Welsh to see how different the syntax is.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Delodephius » Thu 25 Jun 2009 1:55 pm

Well, in case of the Bible as a learning resource the more it resembles the original language the better, of course assuming the translations of the Bible in other languages are also translated in the same fashion (conservatively is it?). If you are interested mainly into the written, literary language like I am, then the Bible is a great resource.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby sil_lark » Mon 28 Dec 2009 12:22 am

I think the Bible is a great resource for learning languages with. Right now I'm working on Greek Basics. My goal is to be able to read portions of text in the Bible in Koine. I'm really wanting to get more involved with the vocabulary while working through the huge amount of grammar. One thing I'm wondering about is pronunciation. I know koine is extinct spoken-wise, but I'm wondering if there is any kind of set standard used by instructors.

If I were learning Greek not knowing anything about direct objects or indirect objects, I'd probably give up. :P
一 鸣 惊 人.

Native Language: American English

Second language: 4 years Mandarin Chinese

I've tried: Old English, Hebrew, Biblical Greek, Gothic

I want to learn: Tagolog, Arabic, Biblical Greek, Russian, Vietnamese
sil_lark

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 28 Dec 2009 6:46 am

sil_lark wrote:One thing I'm wondering about is pronunciation.

Check this out.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Yaziq » Tue 12 Jan 2010 9:56 pm

Does anyone know if the NT has been translated into Biblical Hebrew or Modern Hebrew?
Yaziq

Postby linguoboy » Tue 12 Jan 2010 10:25 pm

Yaziq wrote:Does anyone know if the NT has been translated into Biblical Hebrew or Modern Hebrew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_by_language#Hebrew
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Smart » Tue 13 Apr 2010 6:52 pm

I would imagine the Bible being the greatest tool for anyone to read a significant amount in a new language.

As I learn new languages, I plan to buy a complete Bible in it :)
Native: English (Mother Tongue), Spanish (second)
Advanced Fluency: French, Latin
Beginner-Intermediate: German, Esperanto
Will learn: Portuguese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Italian, Catalan.
Smart

Postby formiko » Thu 15 Apr 2010 5:31 am

Smart wrote:As I learn new languages, I plan to buy a complete Bible in it :)

Be sure you get a good translation. Some do great jobs of "Word for word" translations (like the KJV) but it's rather clumsy to read or understand if you're not a native speaker. Luther's translation of the Bible in German is similar.
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Next

Return to Language learning