text from painting

If you would like names, words or short phrases transliterated or translated, this is the place to make your requests.

text from painting

Postby hodgescbh » Fri 08 Jan 2010 10:32 pm

I realize this picture isn't the clearest, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what language this is, and if possible, what it says? It's off of an old painting, and I just want to know if it's the name of the painter, or the title of the painting.

I went through the alphabets on the site, but I still couldn't figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
boatssig.jpg
boatssig.jpg (126.44 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
hodgescbh

Re: text from painting

Postby hodgescbh » Fri 15 Jan 2010 8:38 pm

So does anyone have a clue about what this is?
hodgescbh

Re: text from painting

Postby Reza » Thu 31 Jan 2013 1:15 pm

It's somehow look like Hebrew to me maybe I'm all wrong but look at this:
the first three signs are greek to me I'm not sure about them, and if we suppose the first one is a dot so this is not hebrew because hebrew is right to left! though the third one looks like vav(w) to me
the 4th letter form right is yod with the sound of y and i
5th is somehow het(H') or taw(t)
6th is some how alef with the sound of aa or cursive middle mem like russian и
7th is 'ayn(glotoral 'a) or middle tsadi(ts)
8th is yod again
last looks like tsadi sofit ,final tsadi or final kaf (k) or even it's two separate words vav(W) and yod(y i)
it doesn't mean anything in Hebrew but it's may be a name or something.without the first three signs something like Ihaa'itz or Itaa'its or Ihma'itz or like these
but don't be mistaken, the fonts you see in this site are typing handwriting but the real HANDwriting which people use is completely different like cursive English and other langs which use latin.
Reza

Return to Translation requests