Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Chữ Nôm ‧字喃

Postby VROOR » Sun 27 Dec 2009 5:24 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
imbecilica wrote:words like telephone (điện thoại/denwa) and such. Those which were borrowed from Japanese into Chinese.

Hey, I always thought all those words were Chinese origin.

Those words are written with chinese characters in the Chinese and Japanese but, are indeed loans from the japanese vocabularies. The Chinese language possesses a lot of japanese loans (more so, in the dialectal version of Taiwan); however, due to a certain racial hatred, most Chinese deny this fact.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 28 Dec 2009 7:01 am

VROOR wrote:a certain racial hatred

That's too bad. Why can't we all just get along? :)
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby VROOR » Mon 28 Dec 2009 10:58 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
VROOR wrote:a certain racial hatred

That's too bad. Why can't we all just get along?

Because Japan has invaded China during the World War II, the crimes commited by the Japanese Government upon the Chinese people are still unapologised (in fact, the Japanese Government still denies many solid accusations, such as the issue of "comfort women" of which the Japanese Government still claim those victims were willingly submitted into the service).
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Mon 28 Dec 2009 11:34 pm

The whole thing in my opinion is bull.

Why the Japanese had to do what they did is beyond me. And what's with the Japanese and Korean thing? What happened between them for them to have any sort of hatred towards each other?

That's always got me wondering.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby kaenif » Tue 29 Dec 2009 8:12 am

Serali wrote:The whole thing in my opinion is bull.

Why the Japanese had to do what they did is beyond me. And what's with the Japanese and Korean thing? What happened between them for them to have any sort of hatred towards each other?

That's always got me wondering.

Korea experienced 35 years of occupation by Japan, and they are now having disputes on Dokdo/Takeshima and naming of the sea in between. Chinese people have some negative feelings towards Korea too, as they have claimed parts of Chinese culture to be of their creation. (Some say Koreans have claimed that even English people and the Incan civilisation were of Korean origins, but I think most are hoaxes. :roll: )
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby VROOR » Tue 29 Dec 2009 12:45 pm

Serali wrote:The whole thing in my opinion is bull.

Those historical crimes are not bulls to the victims as well as the family of the victims. It is the same that, what the Nazis did to the Jews are not bulls to the Jewish people.

Serali wrote:Why the Japanese had to do what they did is beyond me. And what's with the Japanese and Korean thing? What happened between them for them to have any sort of hatred towards each other?

Because Japan has both invaded and occupied Korea in history and, during that occupational era, a lot of crimes were commited by the Japanese there.

kaenif wrote:Chinese people have some negative feelings towards Korea too, as they have claimed parts of Chinese culture to be of their creation.

Indeed, there are koreans who claim the chinese characters were invented by the koreans. Also, some koreans even claim that Manchuria and Canton Province belonged to Korea just because some local dialectal pronunciations sounded korean.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Tue 29 Dec 2009 8:48 pm

Vroor: When I said that the whole thing was bull I was talking about what the Japanese did. Not the victims or their families as that is far from being bull it's sad.

So don't assume. As I don't think like that. And for people to assume that I do is very hurtful.

kaenif wrote:Korea experienced 35 years of occupation by Japan, and they are now having disputes on Dokdo/Takeshima and naming of the sea in between. Chinese people have some negative feelings towards Korea too, as they have claimed parts of Chinese culture to be of their creation. (Some say Koreans have claimed that even English people and the Incan civilisation were of Korean origins, but I think most are hoaxes. :roll: )

Well that is insane. How could they do such a thing? And which part of Korea claimed these things? *Is seriously hoping that the South had nothing to do with this* And as for the Incan civilization being of Korean origin........WTH are they smoking?

That has to be a hoax because if they actually said that then they've gone nuts. :( I mean there's nothing Korean about the Incan civilization. Nothing. Once again I'm shocked.

Although I still and will always love South Korea regardless.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby VROOR » Wed 30 Dec 2009 8:13 am

Serali wrote:Vroor: When I said that the whole thing was bull I was talking about what the Japanese did. Not the victims or their families as that is far from being bull it's sad.

So don't assume. As I don't think like that. And for people to assume that I do is very hurtful.

For my misunderstandings of your message, I apologise for my limited command of the English language.

Serali wrote:Well that is insane. How could they do such a thing? And which part of Korea claimed these things? *Is seriously hoping that the South had nothing to do with this*

These claims have nothing to do with either North Korea nor South Korea. It is just a certain group of koreans made these bullshits of which, have nothing to do with the entire korean ethnicity and country. Just like a certain moron in an american school who claims he is "Jesus Christ" does not make the whole school idiots.

Serali wrote:And as for the Incan civilization being of Korean origin........WTH are they smoking?

hashish
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Wed 30 Dec 2009 10:56 pm

VROOR wrote:These claims have nothing to do with either North Korea nor South Korea. It is just a certain group of koreans made these bullshits of which, have nothing to do with the entire korean ethnicity and country. Just like a certain moron in an american school who claims he is "Jesus Christ" does not make the whole school idiots.

Aah ok. I just wanted to know what part of Korea it was in ( I didn't know that there was no particular part in which this occured ).

Thanks for the insight.

VROOR wrote:hashish

And that means?..... :mrgreen:

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Talib » Thu 31 Dec 2009 12:09 am

From Arabic حشيش "grass," a preparation of marijuana resin with psychoactive effects.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems