Help required with Egyptian hieroglyphs

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Help required with Egyptian hieroglyphs

Postby adiman83 » Sun 06 Dec 2009 8:33 pm

Hello to everybody

For a very long time I wanted a tattoo with egyptian hieroglyphs. I finally found a text I like but I have a small issue: it's written in horizontal lines but I would like it written vertically. the text is in the picture below

the translation of the text taken from "THE BOOK OF THE DEAD. PAPYRUS OF ANI" volume 2 by E. A. Wallis Budge is:

1. The Chapter of giving air in Khert-Neter. Nu saith:— 2. I am the jackal of jackals. I am Shu. I draw air from the presence of the Light-god, from the uttermost limits of heaven, from the uttermost limits of 3. earth, from the uttermost limits of the pinion of the Nebeh bird. May air be given unto this young divine Babe. [My mouth is open, I see with my eyes.]

could someone help me and write in 3 equal vertical columns or direct me to someone that could help me with this?

thank you
adiman83

Re: Help required with Egyptian hieroglyphs

Postby Neqitan » Sun 06 Dec 2009 9:20 pm

Asking for help? Learn some Ancient Egyptian instead! It will also make your tatoo more worth it.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/egyptian.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/books/writing/egyptian.htm

http://www.rostau.org.uk/AEgyptian-L/
Neqitan

Postby adiman83 » Sun 06 Dec 2009 10:15 pm

it's not about me learning Ancient Egyptian, because I did not ask for a translation. I already have the hieroglyphs, in a book. But I don't know how to write them in 3 or more equal columns.

All I was asking is some help from someone who properly knows the language
adiman83

Postby Neqitan » Sun 06 Dec 2009 10:27 pm

I wasn't telling you to learn some to translate it, but to learn how the writing system works and thus be able to transcribe it to vertical yourself. :)
Neqitan

Postby Stosis » Wed 20 Jan 2010 8:15 am

With something as permanent as a tatoo, it might be better to ask a professor or an expert on the subject. I don't think anyone here can really help you.
Stosis

Postby ILuvEire » Tue 15 Jun 2010 1:05 am

The direction the animals are facing determines what direction you read the text, in this case, it's running left to right. When writing in vertical lines, you can keep the animals facing the direction they are now, or just reverse every single glyph. The Egyptians did it all the time, just be sure you keep the whole text the same.

You can see the hieroglyphics, just write them down yourself and arrange them like you want.
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Thu 17 Jun 2010 4:54 am

ILuvEire wrote:The direction the animals are facing determines what direction you read the text, in this case, it's running left to right. When writing in vertical lines, you can keep the animals facing the direction they are now, or just reverse every single glyph. The Egyptians did it all the time, just be sure you keep the whole text the same.

You can see the hieroglyphics, just write them down yourself and arrange them like you want.

Another point to keep in mind is that hieroglyphics come in three sizes that get intermingled.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Return to Extinct languages