What are you?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

What are you?

Herbivore/Vegan
No votes
Herbivore/Vegetarian
27%
Omnivore
73%
Carnivore
No votes

Total votes : 15

Re: What are you?

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 12:28 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
Delodephius wrote:fried pig brains on eggs

:shock: :o

That's nothing compared to other parts of animals I have eaten on regular everyday basis. But that's not why I gave up eating meat since I had no problem with eating food most people would throw up just looking at. I found it tasty.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby rickardspaghetti » Tue 01 Dec 2009 1:17 am

I've met rather few vegetarians actually. All of those I've met were so because they didn't like meat, not for ethical reasons. I don't have much problem with vegetarians, but vegans I find harder to deal with. Vegans refuse to eat anything coming from other animals while vegetarians allow themselves to as long as no animal died for it. Why do vegans refuse this? Did the unfertilized egg suffer when you boiled it? Did the cow die when you milked it? I simply don't understand them. What I absolutely hate the most is when vegans or vegetarians give me shit for eating meat. Don't decide for me what to eat! I don't decide for you what to eat. It's no different than being approached by some religiotard nut telling me I'll go to hell for not beleiving in God. It makes me so angry!
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 1:20 am

Eating eggs and milk is a violation of animal rights. You don't kill them, but you still take something from them that doesn't belong to you. In other words: theft.

Also, most vegans consider eating eggs and dairy unhealthy. I do too.
Delodephius

Postby rickardspaghetti » Tue 01 Dec 2009 1:24 am

But how do you steal from an animal? Does an animal even understand theft? :|
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 1:44 am

Animals understand theft. They know when something is taken from them. They'll fight it if they can.

Humans are moral agents and moral patients. Animals are only moral patients. They don't understand morality but they suffer from it. Humans being moral agents are not just more responsible than animals for their actions, they are the sole responsible beings on Earth for anything. Because of this humans should act by their apparently naturally appointed duty: to be stewards of Earth, not it's despots.

I can't remember who first said it, but it went something like: as long as humans exploit animals there will never be peace on Earth, not even among humans themselves.
Delodephius

Postby dtp883 » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:28 am

I'd just like to point out that ethics and rights are artificial human constructions (better word please?) and as rickardspaghetti questioned, I doubt animals understand theft. I mean sure a mother will fight for her young if they are threatened as a human would do (Harry Potter anyone 8-) ) but won't the chicken just be disappointed when the egg never hatches? Sure they attack but it's just instinct. And milk relieves them (cows) of pain when their udders become too full.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 12:11 pm

You're just using folk logic here.
Delodephius

Postby rickardspaghetti » Tue 01 Dec 2009 12:26 pm

Folk logic? How's that different from logic?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
rickardspaghetti

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 1:11 pm

Folk logic is when you conclude Sun revolves around the Earth, because that is how it seems to you. It is only logical since it is obviously moving across the sky and Earth is not going anywhere. You just don't go any deeper than that to find there is actually an entire science that deals with it.

In the same manner, the folk logic you used about animal rights is based with complete lack of awareness there exists an entire branch of philosophy called ethics, which has proven on many occasions that what ordinary people think is moral is actually not, since the conclusions of the ordinary people (folk) never go in depth and are satisfied with superficial explanations that only apparently suit them. We are all guilty of this, but we should try bettering ourselves.

Therefore, when you take an egg from the chicken, the chicken most likely won't miss the egg, but you nonetheless took something what isn't yours and this is theft, regardless of what you think is right, reality is you are a thief. Humans who are moral agents can decide whether to give something away, animals cannot, and therefore anything taken from them is theft.

As for cows, the only reason cows go into pain when they are not milked is because they are not supposed to be milked in the first place. I assume you do know why cows give milk? Why do for example humans and dogs or cats only have milk when they have babies while cows give milk all year round. The reasons behind it are quite immoral actually.
Delodephius

Postby Remd » Tue 01 Dec 2009 7:06 pm

I don't know what I am o_O. I usually eat only vegetables, but sometimes I eat fish and I wouldn't have any problem eating animal meat if those animals had been hunted and not grown in a small jail as prisoners waiting for their execution. I don't think eating meat is unnatural, what I think is unnatural is treating animals as prisoners sentenced to death from the day they are born. On the other hand, I don't like meat very much.
Remd

PreviousNext

Return to General chat