Your language learning adventures

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Your language learning adventures

Postby Talib » Wed 25 Nov 2009 5:47 pm

Perhaps you'd be willing to grace this thread with an account of your own multilingual experiences. I'm certain it'd be more deserving of that appellation.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 28 Nov 2009 6:49 am

Talib wrote:I take it your class had an awful lot of anime geeks.

Some, but not as many as I had during college.

Talib wrote:
Indonesian is easy to learn & is mutually intelligible with Malay, since it's the same language (akin to Serbian & Croatian).
Well, those are written in different scripts.

Serbian can be written in Latin also; both are official scripts for Serbian.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby formiko » Sat 28 Nov 2009 9:17 am

This can be a dissertation in itself, but I'll be brief. I'm 38 now. I visited my grandmother every summer from 5 years old until I was 15, and she was a native Cherokee speaker, so I learned house Cherokee.(if you can understand that), when I was 8, we new next door neighbors were Russian, and their son was my age, but to eat dinner at his house I had to learn Russian :) (Plus I had a crush on his sister). This was all before I had an "interest" in Languages. When I was 11, we did a Christmas play, and I was in charge of looking up words around the world, and I decided to look up "Peace" (This is 1979 remember). I found a 7 language dictionary in my library, and 1 of them was Hebrew. I found the word שלום
It looked so weird, and i pronounced it how it looked : oisw! So I told my class that they said Peace in Hebrew like that! I then found Berlitz's Russian Self-teacher, and I never stopped with languages. I made it all the way to a PhD in Linguistics. My specialty has always been American Indian and African languages, but with Amerind my absolute favorite. (My dissertation was on Tlingit)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 29 Nov 2009 1:02 am

formiko wrote:I found a 7 language dictionary in my library, and 1 of them was Hebrew. I found the word שלום
It looked so weird, and i pronounced it how it looked : oisw!

The dictionary didn't have a romanization for the Hebrew? :o

By the way, of all the languages I've studied, I found Vietnamese to be the most difficult. It's the phonology. :D
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Mon 30 Nov 2009 11:00 am

I can't quite remember my first days of speech, but I'm certain the toddler-me had quite a bit of fun learning the English language, and inventing my own improbable words. Apparently I talked to myself very loquaciously.
Anyhow, flickering forward to now, I've moved with my Hungarian husband to Pecs, in southern Hungary, and am currently absorbed by the befuddling adventure of learning the language (Magyarul!), a challenge given the fact I spend my days trying to write a novel in English with the best words I can muster.
The first Magyar word I learnt was 'madar,' (bird), when I woke up after two brain surgeries to look up at my soon-to-be-spouse and asked him to tell me a word. As for my linguistic escapades since then, I've traveled through southeast Asia and the Mediterranean since then, picking up pleasantries in different tongues, and become conversational here in Magyarorszag. Still, my fondest memory of this process is probably the day when I inexpertly tried to talk to my father-in-law about trees, and ended up telling him that 'I like (insert vulgar male anatomical term here)'.
Anybody else have experience with Magyarul?
for original fictions, travelogues, photographs, prattlings and perambulations, I'm at:
http://erzsebetgilbert.blogspot.com/
ErzsebetGilbert

Postby formiko » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:58 am

ErzsebetGilbert wrote:Anybody else have experience with Magyarul?

I love Hungarian. I think it's a beautiful language, especially spoken by a woman. :)
Though I find it difficult to remember vocabulary, as it is COMPLETELY foreign to my IE mindset.(Cherokee is foreign enough!)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Neqitan » Tue 01 Dec 2009 6:32 am

Talib wrote:
dtp883 wrote:Why isn't this thread more popular? I was really looking forward to reading them.
Me too - I guess some members haven't been online recently or haven't noticed it.

Okay...

English: My parents forced me to learn it.

My attempts at learning other languages aren't that worth mentioning... I've only tried Mandarin, Classical Arabic and Egyptian Arabic, but I haven't got that far in any of them. Also did some small dabbling with French, but nowhere compared to what you guys have done.
Neqitan

Postby formiko » Tue 01 Dec 2009 10:09 am

Neqitan wrote:English: My parents forced me to learn it.

My parents too ;)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:32 pm

formiko wrote:
ErzsebetGilbert wrote:Anybody else have experience with Magyarul?

I love Hungarian. I think it's a beautiful language, especially spoken by a woman. :)
Though I find it difficult to remember vocabulary, as it is COMPLETELY foreign to my IE mindset.(Cherokee is foreign enough!)

Hey! It's neat to know somebody else has experience with at least hearing Hungarian. It is so lovely to listen to and often to speak, fun to learn, and as my mother-in-law has pointed out, it's perfect for poetry - words can be placed in almost any order in a sentence, allowing for really lyrical rhythms and rhymes. Thanks!
for original fictions, travelogues, photographs, prattlings and perambulations, I'm at:
http://erzsebetgilbert.blogspot.com/
ErzsebetGilbert

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 02 Dec 2009 12:38 am

ErzsebetGilbert wrote:words can be placed in almost any order in a sentence

Is it idiomatic to place the verb at the end, after the object?
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning