Szervus & dobar dan & mingala ba & merhaba... hello!

The place to introduce yourselves.

Szervus & dobar dan & mingala ba & merhaba... hello!

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Mon 30 Nov 2009 11:14 am

Hello to everybody in whatever language I can muster!
It's fabulous to find a place (digitally speaking) focused upon linguistic interests... As my little brothers plainly state, I'm a dork. That is, I adore language, and read the OED for fun. I'm a writer, and my first book (to be released 2011) is a dictionary of short fictions each inspired by an obsolete English word. Like 'suint,' which means 'the dried perspiration of a sheep.' I love the grace of words fluttering away.
In addition to my adoration of my native tongue, though, I've married a Hungarian and moved to Pecs, Hungary, and currently learning the language with much enthusiasm and much grammatical stumbling. I don't know if there's anybody else here who's had experience learning Magyarul, but I won't pretend: it's a challenge! A lovely one, however, and always fascinating.
We also travel quite a bit - we married in southeast Asia and have lived around the Mediterranean and eastern Europe in our VW bus, so I've picked up various scraps here and there and had fun with them all.
So in a Hungarian spirit, Szervus! to everybody...
for original fictions, travelogues, photographs, prattlings and perambulations, I'm at:
http://erzsebetgilbert.blogspot.com/
ErzsebetGilbert

Re: Szervus & dobar dan & mingala ba & merhaba... hello!

Postby linguoboy » Mon 30 Nov 2009 2:37 pm

ErzsebetGilbert wrote:I don't know if there's anybody else here who's had experience learning Magyarul, but I won't pretend: it's a challenge!

Especially those tricky endings, ugye? ("Magyarul" means "in Hungarian"; the name of the language itself is simply "Magyar". Or, since you're posting in English, why not simply use the English name and avoid the whole hassle?)

Kezét csókolom! Isten hozta a fórumon!
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Mon 30 Nov 2009 6:07 pm

Welcome/bienvenue/bienvenida/歡迎光臨/Добро пожаловать/أهلاً وسهلاً!

We don't get many Hungarian learners here. It's a fascinating language.
linguoboy wrote:Or, since you're posting in English, why not simply use the English name and avoid the whole hassle?)
'Cause Magyar sounds cooler.
Kezét csókolom!
It's things like this that make Hungarian awesome. What if Anglophones went around greeting women with "I kiss your hand"?
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Mon 30 Nov 2009 7:15 pm

Talib wrote:It's things like this that make Hungarian awesome. What if Anglophones went around greeting women with "I kiss your hand"?

It's not just Hungarian; "Küß die Hand!" is a feature of Austrian German as well (not to mention other languages formerly within the Hapsburg orbit). Sadly, it's going out of fashion in both of them.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby VROOR » Mon 30 Nov 2009 8:28 pm

Szia és Szervusz. Magyart tanulok, szeretem a nyelvet. A magyar nyelv szép.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 01 Dec 2009 12:08 am

ErzsebetGilbert wrote:Hello to everybody in whatever language I can muster!
It's fabulous to find a place (digitally speaking) focused upon linguistic interests... As my little brothers plainly state, I'm a dork. That is, I adore language, and read the OED for fun. I'm a writer, and my first book (to be released 2011) is a dictionary of short fictions each inspired by an obsolete English word. Like 'suint,' which means 'the dried perspiration of a sheep.' I love the grace of words fluttering away.
In addition to my adoration of my native tongue, though, I've married a Hungarian and moved to Pecs, Hungary, and currently learning the language with much enthusiasm and much grammatical stumbling. I don't know if there's anybody else here who's had experience learning Magyarul, but I won't pretend: it's a challenge! A lovely one, however, and always fascinating.
We also travel quite a bit - we married in southeast Asia and have lived around the Mediterranean and eastern Europe in our VW bus, so I've picked up various scraps here and there and had fun with them all.
So in a Hungarian spirit, Szervus! to everybody...

Welcome to the Omniglot forum!
I've never studied any Hungarian but I did take a small crack at Finnish once which is a relative. The Uralic languages in general are pretty cool. :ugeek:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:35 pm

linguoboy wrote:
ErzsebetGilbert wrote:I don't know if there's anybody else here who's had experience learning Magyarul, but I won't pretend: it's a challenge!

Especially those tricky endings, ugye? ("Magyarul" means "in Hungarian"; the name of the language itself is simply "Magyar". Or, since you're posting in English, why not simply use the English name and avoid the whole hassle?)

Kezét csókolom! Isten hozta a fórumon!

Igen, lehet konnyubb (easier) csak irni "Hungarian" (to write "Hungarian") - but it's the best practice for me to write Magyar words - I write my mother-in-law daily Magyar letters just to keep it up! De koszonem!
for original fictions, travelogues, photographs, prattlings and perambulations, I'm at:
ErzsebetGilbert

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:38 pm

VROOR wrote:Szia és Szervusz. Magyart tanulok, szeretem a nyelvet. A magyar nyelv szép.

Nagyon jo hogy szereted es tanulad a Magyarult! Lehet nekem kerdezni hol vagy? Igazad van hogy szep a nvelv van... gyonyeru! Viszont latasra!
ErzsebetGilbert

Postby Delodephius » Tue 01 Dec 2009 4:44 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Talib wrote:It's things like this that make Hungarian awesome. What if Anglophones went around greeting women with "I kiss your hand"?

It's not just Hungarian; "Küß die Hand!" is a feature of Austrian German as well (not to mention other languages formerly within the Hapsburg orbit). Sadly, it's going out of fashion in both of them.

Slovaks say "Ruky bozkávam" too, mostly older people.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Return to Introductions