What are you?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

What are you?

Herbivore/Vegan
No votes
Herbivore/Vegetarian
27%
Omnivore
73%
Carnivore
No votes

Total votes : 15

Re: What are you?

Postby Delodephius » Sat 28 Nov 2009 2:16 pm

I'm sure some would say it's repulsion but it's more likely her body's inexperience with dealing with meat.

When I go into a butchery to get some food for my dogs and cats I nearly pass out because the meat stinks to me, while my friends who eat meat don't feel a thing. On the other hand they feel light headed when we go to a fast food shop where air is heavy with the smell of vegetable oil.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby formiko » Sun 29 Nov 2009 9:57 am

This is just a side note, while I eat meat, if you have a Biblical persuasion, humans ate VEGETABLES first. Nothing was killed for food until the first sin. So an argument CAN be made that our bodies were not made to eat meat. If I do eat meat, I make sure it's organic. People may get sick from non-organic meat due to all the hormones and antibiotics in the "frankenfood" of today :)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby Delodephius » Sun 29 Nov 2009 10:09 am

Well if you mostly produce your own food like we do then non-organic food is quite expensive, compared to the food I get for almost free. :P
Delodephius

Postby Kietl » Sun 29 Nov 2009 4:21 pm

This is just a side note, while I eat meat, if you have a Biblical persuasion, humans ate VEGETABLES first. Nothing was killed for food until the first sin. So an argument CAN be made that our bodies were not made to eat meat. If I do eat meat, I make sure it's organic. People may get sick from non-organic meat due to all the hormones and antibiotics in the "frankenfood" of today :)

Just a little tangent since this is a subject of interest for me. :) Although according to the biblical record humans wouldn't have been omnivores until after the original sin, there is the fact that God told Noah to take and eat animals from the Ark after the Flood. We might assume that God would allow this because of the drastic decrease in the amount of available vegetation after the Flood, as well as the extinction of numerous different species of plants (and accordingly, the loss of their unique nutritional content).

^^That's one of the reasons that I'm on omnivore, since while vegetables and fruit can give us a large amount of vital nutrition, we may actually need some meat in order to "round out" the diet. :)
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Talib » Sun 29 Nov 2009 4:41 pm

Ugh, I'm so sick of these arguments. Yes, humans evolved to be omnivores, but that's not a reason why we should continue to be. It's entirely possible to have a healthy diet without meat. It's even possible to have a healthy vegan diet although it's more difficult.
What I also find distasteful is that people don't eat some types of meat because they don't like it or find it disgusting, not because they have some sympathy for animals.
Why? If people don't like a certain food, they shouldn't eat it. Personally I find all kinds of pork disgusting although that's not why I don't eat it.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Delodephius » Sun 29 Nov 2009 9:50 pm

Talib wrote:
What I also find distasteful is that people don't eat some types of meat because they don't like it or find it disgusting, not because they have some sympathy for animals.
Why? If people don't like a certain food, they shouldn't eat it.

I'm still having hard time understanding your western concept of free choice, but hey.

What I meant was that people think of food as a means of pleasure instead of a means of survival. Instead of eating that which is good both for their body and soul (mind, moral conscientiousness, etc.) people choose to eat that what makes their taste buds feel better, like spoiled children of a decadent society.
Delodephius

Postby Talib » Sun 29 Nov 2009 11:58 pm

People have different reasons for their diet including taste, health and moral concerns. There is much more to choices than mere survival.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 30 Nov 2009 1:13 am

Delodephius wrote:people think of food as a means of pleasure instead of a means of survival. Instead of eating that which is good both for their body and soul (mind, moral conscientiousness, etc.) people choose to eat that what makes their taste buds feel better, like spoiled children of a decadent society.

What's wrong with wanting to enjoy food? :?:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Delodephius » Mon 30 Nov 2009 1:49 am

Sobekhotep wrote:What's wrong with wanting to enjoy food? :?:

People have different reasons for their diet including taste, health and moral concerns. There is much more to choices than mere survival.

Out of taste, health and moral concerns the later two should be primary and the first a secondary reason. Observation has taught me that people who place taste on the first place neglect or ignore the other reasons.

Funnily, I grew up without any of those. Only over time I learned what was healthy and also began having moral concerns, thus I became a vegetarian. But I never cared about taste. It is a very peripheral concern of mine when it comes to food. I was taught to eat everything I was served, from fried pig brains on eggs to raw beet salad.
Delodephius

Postby Sobekhotep » Tue 01 Dec 2009 12:13 am

Delodephius wrote:fried pig brains on eggs

:shock: :o
No wonder you're a vegetarian now!
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

PreviousNext

Return to General chat