Undecifered Writing Sytems

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Undecifered Writing Sytems

Postby scottrupe_1 » Fri 03 Jul 2009 5:44 pm

There are three things I have questions about:
  • Can an undeciphered writing system be deciphered by enough (or even one) dedicated people?
  • How are some scripts meanings lost and some retained (when they are basically the same age)?
  • How can we not have figured out Linear A in the 180 years since we discovered Mycenae?
Last edited by scottrupe_1 on Fri 03 Jul 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottrupe_1

Re: Undecifered Writing Sytems

Postby linguoboy » Fri 03 Jul 2009 6:04 pm

scottrupe_1 wrote:How can we not have figured out Linear A/Linear B in the 180 years since we discovered Mycenae?[/list]

Where have you been? Linear B was deciphered over fifty years ago by the Classical scholars Michael Ventris and John Chadwick. Chadwick even published a book called The decipherment of Linear B in 1958.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby scottrupe_1 » Fri 03 Jul 2009 6:09 pm

linguoboy wrote:
scottrupe_1 wrote:How can we not have figured out Linear A/Linear B in the 180 years since we discovered Mycenae?[/list]

Where have you been? Linear B was deciphered over fifty years ago by the Classical scholars Michael Ventris and John Chadwick. Chadwick even published a book called The decipherment of Linear B in 1958.

Yes I realize that I didn´t realize that when I posted.
scottrupe_1

Postby linguoboy » Sat 04 Jul 2009 3:12 am

scottrupe_1 wrote:Yes I realize that I didn´t realize that when I posted.

Pays to do the reading first.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby scottrupe_1 » Sat 04 Jul 2009 4:15 pm

Yes it does, or you feel really, really stupid (even when you are not.) But the mistake doesn't take away from my question. If Linear A is related to Linear B and Linear B is deciphered, how come Linear A has not been? Are they far enough removed from one another for Linear B not to help or were they used for different languages or what? (Or maybe they're just thought to be related.)
scottrupe_1

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 6:33 pm

scottrupe_1 wrote:If Linear A is related to Linear B and Linear B is deciphered, how come Linear A has not been? Are they far enough removed from one another for Linear B not to help or were they used for different languages or what? (Or maybe they're just thought to be related.)

You do have a very strong argument presented. Indeed, too many errors are made by men merely subscribed to the mistake of "thought to be related".
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby slfrank67 » Sun 29 Nov 2009 10:25 pm

How about the writing from the Codex Seraphinianus and the Voynich manuscripts..

by the way if anyone has a copy of one or both of these books and is looking to throw it out (unlikely) feel free to pm me- I will pay for shipping! haha
slfrank67

Postby Delodephius » Mon 30 Nov 2009 1:55 am

Yes it does, or you feel really, really stupid

Not really. :mrgreen:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Return to Writing systems