What Kind Of Writing Is This?

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: What Kind Of Writing Is This?

Postby Jeisuke » Tue 24 Nov 2009 10:51 pm

This is kind of a difficult question. Thai proper has these basic script (and likely I am forgetting one or two), in order of time
1. Ramkhamhaeng script(still debateable on authenticity)
2. Sukhothai script
3. King Lu(?) Thai script
4. King Narai reform script
4a . Compressed Thai script
4b . Modern Thai script
5. King Monkut reform script (didn't catch on)
6. And there was another proposed reform that didn't catch on either..will have to look it up tonight.

And somewhere in this list, the Khom script should go. That's Thai written with the Khmer (Aksar-Mul type) script, and a few extra letters and marks for tones.

Tai languages (Lao, Dham, Tai-Deng, Tai-Dam, Lanna, Khuen, Lue, Shan, Tai-Neua, Tai-Lai-Chau, Aiton, Ahom, Khamti, White Tai, SonLa Tai, Pai-Yi, Tai Na, Sipsongpanna, etc) all have their own apparently-Mon derived script....with those in the Yunnan region being kind of diamond-shaped due to their being written with a brush on paper/bamboo rather than on a palm-leaf with a stylus....suffice it to say there are A LOT of different Thai/Tai scripts.
Jeisuke

Postby Serali » Wed 25 Nov 2009 3:47 am

EEEEEEEE!

I wanna see these if it's possible.

Hell, I wanna see ALL of them if it's possible.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Jeisuke » Wed 25 Nov 2009 8:24 am

OK, now I found the book on Thai scripts.....some corrections......should have been King Li Thai script, not Lu Thai. Also, the other proposed script that I couldn't remember is the King Rama VI script around 1917....didn't catch on.

The most excellent book "The Thai writing system" by Nanthana Danwiwat (mostly viewable on Google Books) is where you should start. It will probably drive you crazy because some essential pages seem to be missing. For the actual book, I know its available at some big university libraries (UCLA, UCBerkeley, Yale, Harvard).

Keep in mind...that this is only for Thai Proper.....not the other Tai languages and writing.
Jeisuke

Postby Serali » Wed 25 Nov 2009 10:11 am

Yeah I don't know why Google does that.

It's annoying. I'm going to Google the book later as it's VERY late here but I thank you. You wouldn't know if Barnes & Noble would have it would you?

I would love to have such a book in my collection.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby kiwehtin » Wed 25 Nov 2009 10:05 pm

Very interesting, the link to the Ram Khamhaeng era script. The vowel glyphs table is the obvious clincher. It's fascinating to see how the style of the modern Thai script is such a recent innovation, and how similar the older script's overall ductus is to the Indonesian Kawi although the letterforms have already changed so much in the two scripts that very few are recognisably the same! This script and older Kawi both show the curvy ductus of scripts written on palm leaves.
kiwehtin

Previous

Return to Writing systems