An Extinct Old Turkic Dialect

The place to discuss extinct languages.

An Extinct Old Turkic Dialect

Postby VROOR » Fri 20 Nov 2009 6:37 pm

The following is a text written in an extinct Old Turkic (Pre-Ottoman~Ottoman Turkic) dialect of which, was once spoken in Central Asia. The text is transliterated in a form of the Latin alphabet for the sake of easy reading (those who are turcologists or possess knowledge of turkic languages may give attempts on this text's translation):

Altı yüz tümen yıl ertmiş erür, burğan yertinçüde belğürmış erdi. Ken kelteçi burğanlar burğan qutın qanta bulırlar? Qañı ğan ögi qatun oğlıña neçe aytsar neñ kiginç bermedök.
ImageImage
VROOR

Re: An Extinct Old Turkic Dialect

Postby Yaziq » Mon 23 Nov 2009 9:33 pm

I would guess that it is very close to the language used by Timur the Lame. Would you attempt a translation?
Yaziq

Postby VROOR » Tue 24 Nov 2009 10:33 am

Yaziq wrote:I would guess that it is very close to the language used by Timur the Lame.

I was told that, this is indeed the language of that era or, at least very close.

Yaziq wrote:Would you attempt a translation?

I already have made a translation attempt but, I wish to see (as well as cross-reference) other people's translations, before I present my own (least my translation becomes a laughing-stock).
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 28 Nov 2009 6:58 am

I studied a bit of the Uyghur & Uzbek languages, both of which are apparently the 2 closest modern Turkic languages to Old Turkic. But, I didn't study either language for very long & didn't advance much. I can only point out a few words from the text. :(
I really like Turkic languages, except for 1 thing: rounded front vowels. The vowels [y] & [ø]/[œ] are just so unnatural to me & I have trouble properly saying them, especially [ø] & [œ].
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby VROOR » Thu 03 Dec 2009 10:19 pm

Altı yüz tümen yıl ertmiş erür, burğan yertinçüde belğürmış erdi. Ken kelteçi burğanlar burğan qutın qanta bulırlar? Qañı ğan ögi qatun oğlıña neçe aytsar neñ kiginç bermedök.

Six million years have passed. The enlightened one has since arrived upon the earth. Where then, will the future seekers of wisdom attain enlightment? No matter how many-times his parents questioned him, he never gave an answer.
ImageImage
VROOR

Return to Extinct languages