Show your Handwriting/Calligraphy!

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Re: Show your Handwriting/Calligraphy!

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 3:05 pm

ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Sun 22 Nov 2009 8:53 pm

Oh they're beautiful!

What's the name of them? I REALLY love the first one. I would like to know more about it.

Is it an alphabet, logography, syllabary, abjad, or abugida? I would love to see more of it and a key to it if possible. I would like to play with it and see what comes out.

And the last one looks like it was done on a computer. It's Jurchen right?.....or is it one of the Khitan scripts?

Beautiful.

Native Language: English
Languages I'm Interested In: Korean
Favorite Writing Systems: Too many to name

And the boingies will take over the world!

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby Serali » Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:21 pm

Here's some more:

Käläli writing before I changed the name.

Last edited by Serali on Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby VROOR » Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:26 pm

Serali wrote:I REALLY love the first one. I would like to know more about it. Is it an alphabet, logography, syllabary, abjad, or abugida?

The first image shows a special writing-style for the Chinese characters of which, appears to be similar to 女書 (however, much more complex and devoloped). This writing-system combines certain Chinese characters into term-words. This writing is used for ancient religious texts and rites as well as magic practices (not the taoistic system, more of the shamanistic and/or southern sorceries).

Serali wrote:I would love to see more of it and a key to it if possible. I would like to play with it and see what comes out.

Alright. I will make a cross-reference sheet of some of the characters between Standard Chinese and this writing-style (it is alanguage actually, its grammar is different from Standard Chinese and, it has its own phonologies apart from the Chinese language).

Serali wrote:And the last one looks like it was done on a computer. It's Jurchen right?.....or is it one of the Khitan scripts?

It's Jurchen and, yes, it was written on the computer with the mouse.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Sun 22 Nov 2009 9:38 pm

VROOR wrote:The first image shows a special writing-style for the Chinese characters of which, appears to be similar to 女書 (however, much more complex and devoloped). This writing-system combines certain Chinese characters into term-words. This writing is used for ancient religious texts and rites as well as magic practices (not the taoistic system, more of the shamanistic and/or southern sorceries).

Wow. I never knew that they had so many different writing systems. I've read about some of them but never actually seen a sample.

Awesome. This is one of the reasons why I love Asian languages so much.

VROOR wrote:Alright. I will make a cross-reference sheet of some of the characters between Standard Chinese and this writing-style (it is alanguage actually, its grammar is different from Standard Chinese and, it has its own phonologies apart from the Chinese language).

Looking forward to it. It's beautiful. Do you know it fluently? If so where did you learn it?

VROOR wrote:It's Jurchen and, yes, it was written on the computer with the mouse.

I thought so. I wonder how you did it though.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby imbecilica » Mon 23 Nov 2009 9:21 am

Ok while this isn't my handwriting, I totally admire it!

Holy crap!!! If only I could write like that! :geek:
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Serali » Mon 23 Nov 2009 9:24 am

It's beautiful!

Reminds me of a sample ( probably by the same person if you got this from Flickr ) I found on Flickr.

I can sort of write like that.

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby VROOR » Mon 23 Nov 2009 11:42 am

Serali wrote:It's beautiful. Do you know it fluently? If so where did you learn it?

I am fluent in it in the sense of, I am able to read and understand all the religious and magic texts written in this witch-doctor's language. I acquired the knowledge of this language as well as writing-system from a Chinese witch-doctor (or shaman) when I studied as his student.

This special writing-system follows the style of Traditional Mongolian Script (which is also shared by Manchurian Script and the Old Uyghur Script), and thus, it is written vertically from left to right (not the Chinese style of which is, from right to left). Also, despite the words are pronounced differently from the Chinese language, this language does not have tones and possesses the trilled-r which the Chinese language lacks.

The followings are some of this language's words in comparison to the Standard Chinese characters (the transliteration in latin alphabet is, the pronounciation of the word in this language):

ImageImage
VROOR

Postby Serali » Mon 23 Nov 2009 7:50 pm

That is amazing.

The first 3 characters look like Nüshu characters. How many characters are there in this language?

I love it. Wonder what it sounds like?

Wapo Gipo Mi Mi Mi! n_n
Serali

Postby VROOR » Tue 24 Nov 2009 10:59 am

Serali wrote:The first 3 characters look like Nüshu characters.

Indeed, those seems to be similar to Nüshu charatcers but, devoloped differently on a total different enviroment.

Serali wrote:How many characters are there in this language?

Three-times as much as the Classical Chinese language. Where in the Chinese language one does not differentiate the words between sun and day, nor between moon and month; in this language, such differences are made clear in both writing and speech.

For every single action and idea, even the slightest difference, there will be a different character, a different word (written differently, pronounced differently).

Serali wrote:Wonder what it sounds like?

I was told once by a Korean that, this language when spoken (reciting the religious texts), sounds like a Korean who is totally drunk on alcohol.
ImageImage
VROOR

PreviousNext

Return to Writing systems